Try a recipe day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Oh Kelly, such a pity your recipe did not work. Hopefully mine will work as I hate a soggy bottom LOL.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Today is my try a new recipe day.....I will keep you posted:)

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Fingers crossed....NO soggy bottoms. LOL :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Baked French toast--which recipe?

I tried my recipe for the french toast bake. Something went wrong, terribly wrong!! It was so soggy on the bottom. I am so happy I tried it ahead of time. I will have to find a new recipe to try. Thanks for the day and motivation Katrina!

Kelly
So what recipe was it? I have printed out the one from Pioneer Woman that uses french bread.

I did make skinless pot stickers today. Excellent. I did make them with beef instead of pork.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lBy8kOD78E

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/05/cinnamon-baked-french-toast/

This is the recipe I used.
1) It was delicious, we all liked it except for DS who had a small amount.

2) Will need to make it the night before Christmas and store in the fridge. It took longer to make than I thought.

3) It also took longer to bake than I thought, so I may have to start cooking it as soon as we get up on Christmas morning.

4) I did not serve it with berries today but I will serve it with fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries along with the maple syrup.

Overall I was really pleased with this recipe, I thought it was easy and very tasty and I will be adding it to my Christmas morning menu for this year.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
That sounds really yummy Katrina.

I did not get to do mine this weekend as we left home at 6:45 am both days to go to a swim meet. I will get to it this week as we are on school holidays.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I won't be trying a new recipe today because DH and I are both feeling puny. If I were going to try one, though, I'd like to try South African Bobotie. I had some recently and really liked it. But DH isn't too fond of curry. I guess I should make it sometime when we are going to a potluck.

We did recently make some apple pie bites similar to these:
http://cooking.allwomenstalk.com/easy-crescent-roll-recipes/3/
They were very good and I think might be a delightful addition to Christmas breakfast. DH may make them for a "macho brunch" we go to in August.

The Pioneer Woman French toast looks more like a bread pudding to me. I love bread pudding for breakfast and used to fix it for Christmas breakfast before DH started making his special frittata.

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I ended up having pot stickers for dinner tonight. I now have the french toast in the refrig waiting for tomorrow night. Will let you know how it turns out. I'm not a fan of french toast or bread pudding so it will be interesting.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
JollyKelly, I looked at your recipe, I bet if you reduced the milk content to 2 or 2 1/2 cups, it wouldn't be soggy. That's too much liquid.

I didn't get to do this, but I plan to work more diligently on it in the coming weeks. I really want to get most of the recipes in my binder tested before Christmas.

I have these "delusions of grandeur", as my Grandmother used to call them (because it was delusional to think it would actually happen or we would actually do it), about all these new recipes I will try out on DH and myself after DD18 goes to college this fall! lol I just get into such a rut of it being so easy to know what to buy to prepare what we always eat that I forget to check my binder and buy what I need to try something new. Does anyone else have that problem...I guess I just need to become more deliberate in my thinking, huh?

Ah, well...I'm just babbling now...

Happy recipe trying, everyone!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I made yogourt blueberry biscuits.... not sweet enough for us BUT mom liked them and will be taking the recipe.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie..at least you have tried them and know that they are not for you.