Trying one new thing each week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ever since I got married, I've had a hard time with meals. My husband was raised on a lot of expensive convenience foods and eating out 3-4 times a week; I was raised on a lower budget, eating mainly vegetables and meat with no flavors or sauces. We never ate out.

I have found a few things I can make at home that he will eat, but he is a very picky eater. Also, no matter what I make, when I ask him how it was he says, "fine" and I don't find out he hated it until a week later.

So when we went grocery shopping this weekend I told him that from now on I am going to try to make one new recipe each week. After we eat, I want him to give the recipe a rating between 1-10. He doesn't have to say a word about it other than that. If its bad I won't make it again, but if he likes it I'll add it to our meal repertoire (which right now consists mainly of hamburgers, BLTs and porkchops. lol)

Anyone else have a really picky eater? Any recipes that have been a hit with picky eaters?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a dh who is a picky eater. I just ignore it. I love to cook so I cook what is healthy. Now that I have to eat gluten free I do not cook things with gluten. He has to eat what I cook or gets something himself.

Lucky for me he doesn't like to eat out so he's stuck with what's served. We were married for over 15 years when he finally said he didn't like onions or green peppers cooked. HA! I love them so I always put lots in everything. Now I do try to cut them larger so he can pick them out if he likes. Funny, he eats them and doesn't pick them out.

Ask your mil for some of her recipes. I got my mil's recipe for her Tuna Casserole because it is my dh favorite. You guessed it, she thought I was nuts because it's just noodles, cream of mushroom soup and a can of tuna. No seasonings or anything but baked in the oven. No wonder I could never make it like his mom. I was adding tasty items. lol

Also see if he will cook one day a week. That would give you some ideas of what he likes.

Just don't stress over that he doesn't say if he really doesn't like something (or does). It's just his way. My dh has his own language. "It's ok" means he hates it. If he says "it's good" it could be he likes it or hates it depending on his mood. If he does say "hmmmm, this is really good" I usually just faint. Funny thing is sometimes he'll say it's really good when the last time I cooked it he hated it. So just don't let it bother you. Food to my dh is just fuel not something comforting or a way of showing affection.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
:rotflol: Ahorsesoul love your interpretation of your husband's language!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks. It took a long time to figure him out. He won't say anything negative so he has his own secret code.

The first one I figured out was his way of saying no. He'll say "we'll see" but means no. You should have seen his face the first time I told him "we'll see". It was very funny to see his look change when he figured out I was saying no way.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My DH is the least picky eater in the world...however, his sons make up for it! DS7 won't eat anything weird, including veggies and meat cooked anyway but grilled, baked or fried. No casseroles, no stir-fry, NO salad...not even potatoes. He will, however, eat fruit of almost any kind. DS6 will eat carrots and cucumbers, but no salad, tomatoes, etc. He will eat hot dogs until they run out of his ears. DS15 will eat almost any fruit or vegetable, as long as the veggies are either raw or cooked without sauce or seasoning. He will eat rice-no one else will. DH and DS7 will eat pinto beans, the other two won't. DS6 and DS7 will eat copious amounts of green beans, DS15 won't touch them....you get the idea.

I just make whatever I want to and try to have at least one healthy or semi healthy thing for them to eat...sometimes that's just a slice of whole grain bread spread with peanut butter! I usually have raw baby carrots and ranch dip for DS6, salad for DS15 and some kind of fruit for DS7. DH is on his own!

Me-I'll eat anything, almost!

I like the one new thing each week idea...I asked DH the other day if I made big, meat-filled salads this summer if that would work for a meal, and he said yes, as long as you have potatoes, beans and bread to go along with it. Sigh.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
My DH is not a picky eater, BUT when we first moved in together my Father said to him,' I hope you like cheese and tomatoe on toast', DH replied, 'why?', Dad replied,'because it's all she can cook!'. DH nearly fainted! The 2 foods he doesn't like are cheese and tomatoes!

This was a massive learning curve for me! But I tried something new every day for a month and bought my self some decent easy recipes! We have lived together over 12 years now and he only recently told me he doesn't like prawn bake special! I was amazed. I thought it was his favourite!

Amazingly he really likes to cook now and I never complain if I'm not too impressed with his offerings. I agree with Ahorsesoul, keep trying and don't worry too much, if he isn't happy let him do the cooking!

ChristmasMissy

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Georgia
Hubby's not picky - just as long as I don't use lemons or mushrooms (even though he eats mushrooms cooked in spaghetti and on pizza, go figure). When I ask him how he liked the meal I ALWAYS get, "Fine". Fine can mean anything from GROSS to lets have that again! :thud:

My biggest peeve is when I ask him what he would like for dinner his standard answer is "I don't know." OOOOH that drives me crazy!! Maybe next time he answers "I don't know" I should ask if he wants that with or without gravy because THAT'S what he gettin'! :rotflol:

:help: ME!! ;-)

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
My husband grew up either eating out or making the meal himself, so he can be pretty particular, but most of the work is from the fact that we're newlyweds (going on two years), so we're still developing a good system that works for both of us. Like Ahorsesoul, I'm learning his meal language (and vice versa) and leaning on our creativity for solutions, so I can relate to this entirely.

First, I like to put a positive spin on my frustrations. Thanks to the power of experimentation and determination, I know that, given enough time, we'll have extensive menu options.

Now, one method that is working great for me is I write the recipes I'm going to try on index cards. I keep them in a little plastic index card holder in the kitchen cabinet. If one of us really doesn't like it, the card goes in the trash. Over time, we'll have a holder filled with recipes. It really helps with menu planning, too. I can pull the cards out to see their ingredients, put them in order by day of the week, etc. I just started this, so there aren't many, but I've found some keepers from recipes online, on backs of boxes, and in cookbooks.

I also try to confine my "wildest" experiments to appetizers or to times when we have good leftovers in the fridge (so we don't starve if it's awful). One time, I started making a meal in the early afternoon just in case it didn't work out. I'm glad I did because it was so awful! I had another meal ready by the time dinner rolled around. The weekend's a great time to play, too.

And I try to remember that there are no mistakes, only lessons. Even the "failures" teach you something -- about cooking, timing, menu planning, what you like, don't like, etc -- and will bring you closer to your goals. Don't focus on the wasted food of your "total disasters," either. It's all an investment towards your health and happy future. Keep the peace, determination, and faith in your progress.

Here are two very easy meals we both love:

---------------------

Hometown Chicken Pot Pie:
3-4 lbs chicken (cooked)
1 (16 oz) pkg frozen mixed veggies (thawed)
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of celery soup
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter (melted)
salt/pepper to taste

1. Arrange chicken on bottom of bake dish. Set aside.

2. Mix veggies w/soups and broths.

3. Pour over chicken.

4. Combine biscuit mix, milk, and butter.

5. Spread over chicken/broths.

6. Bake 375F for 60 minutes. Serves 6.

--------------------

Eggplant Pomodoro:
1 eggplant, sliced
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup Dijon mustard (regular ok, too)
1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs

3 roma tomatoes, diced
10-15 chopped basil leaves, fresh
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp olive oil
(or instead of tomatoes, basil, garlic, and oil, use your favorite spaghetti sauce)

1. Pre-heat oven 400F.

2. Combine mayo & mustard in bowl until well-blended. Coat each slice of eggplant w/mayo/mustard mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs.

3. Arrange coated slices on cookie sheet and bake ~45 minutes.

4. Serve with tomatoes & basil mix after heating mix in pan with oil. (Or instead use your favorite spaghetti sauce).

------

And I have to include the classic side dish that never fails (which just about everyone tweaks a bit to their liking):

Green Bean Casserole:
3/4 cup milk
1/7 tsp pepper
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
2 (9 ounce) pkgs frozen cut green beans (thawed)
*or*
2 (14.5 ounce) cans green beans (drained)
1 1/3 cups French's French Fried onions

1. In casserole, mix all except onions (you can mix a little onions in if you like).
2. Bake 30 min in 350F oven until hot.
3. Stir.
4. Top w/onions. Bake 5 minutes or until they are golden.

---------

Bravo for fighting the good food fight! :applause: Good luck! :flower:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh, that chicken recipe sounds good! I think he might go for that. Incidentally, we are also approaching our 2-year anniversary.
Unfortunately he refuses to try eggplant as it doesn't "sound" like it tastes good. Lol, now do you see what I'm dealing with? lol

He may like something one time and then dislike it the next time. Very finicky and picky. Sometimes I feel like I'm cooking for a 5 year old. Now I understand why my parents never catered to us at mealtimes. We had a relatively big family, but every one of us kids will eat just about anything.

My husband actually threw out a pasta dish he likes simply because I hadn't put grated cheese on top. The real kicker? There was grated cheese in the fridge; he just couldn't be bothered to sprinkle it on top himself, so he threw it in the garbage can and went out for a burger. THAT is picky!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
If my dh tossed out the pasta because I didn't put his grated cheese on it..I'd never again put grated cheese on it for him. One time I told him I wasn't going to blow his nose or wipe his bottom either, he could do it himself.

If I ask him what he wants for dinner he knows if I get "I don't know or I don't care" he's going to get sushi because I really like it and he doesn't. So now when I ask he will give me some kind of suggestion--like beef or chicken.

The other thing I started is not going to find things for him. Most everything in this house has been there since we moved here. I figure if I kept finding things for him I was always going to be the "go get it" person. Now I ask him where have you looked? I will direct him to an area but I don't say it's one the third shelf in the linen closet. He is an adult.

The other day he was looking for his summer shirts. I told him they were in storage in a tub (he'd carried them there last winter after I'd packed them up). He said several times he wondered where his clothes were. He got up one day saying he dreamed I'd taken them to the thrift store. I just said Nope. I figured I'd already told him where they were, it wasn't up to me to run to find them. It took almost two weeks before he figured out I wasn't going to go get them. When he finally went down to get them, he washed them and hung them up. Then he packed up his winter stuff and put them in storage. I almost fell off my chair. But it worked, I just had to grit my teeth and keep my mouth shut for awhile.

strosiek

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Ahorsesoul- I just have to ask. How long have you been married? I love the way you handle him. Its great! 5 years for me and I want to be just like you when I grow up. Truthfully I wish my sister in law would do this for her husband (my brother) He needs a little taste of that. Hey can we send him to you to train? LOL.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks, married too long I think. lol I spent too many years teaching dh that I would run to find whatever he wanted. I just decided not to do it. It's easy once you get started.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
LOL Ahorsesoul. That's one way to go about helping a fellow adult act his age. :haha: I think it's important to be a partner, not a parent.

Since last posting, DH and I have some new favorite casseroles and summer dishes I thought you might like to browse:

----------

Tuna Croquettes

2 cans (6 oz each) light tuna, drained, flaked
1 pkg (6 oz) stuffing mix for chicken
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs sweet pickle relish
3/4 cup water

Prep:
1. Mix ingredients. Cover. Refrigerate ~10 min.
2. Shape 1/3 cup mixture each into patties.
3. Cook in skillet on Medium High ~3 min each side until golden brown.

Since it's so easy to cook, I saved uncooked leftover mix in the fridge for later. DH doesn't like pickles, but loved the relish.

----------

which we ate with Poppyseed Noodles

1 lb extra-wide egg noodles
4 Tbs butter
1 Tbs poppy seeds
2 Tbs freshly chopped chives
salt & pepper

Prep:
1. Cook egg noodles.
2. Melt butter in skillet on med-high.
3. Toss all together.
4. Serve.

----------

Broccoli Beef Casserole

2 boxes frozen chopped broccoli (thaw & drain) or a few cups fresh cooked
1 Tbs mayo
1/2 cup cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
salt & pepper
24 saltine crackers, crushed
1/2 stick butter

Prep:
1. Brown meat, drain.
2. Combine mayo, mushroom soup, and egg. Stir/mix thoroughly.
3. Combine broccoli, ground meat, cheese, & soup mix all together.
4. In separate bowl, combine crackers & butter.
5. Pour meat mix in casserole, top with crackers/butter mix. Bake 350F ~10-15 min until topping is golden.

Great w/wild rice or sour cream/scallion potatoes!
----------

Zucchini "Crab" Cakes

2 cups grated zucchini (~4 medium)
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbs butter
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbs minced onion
1 Tbs Old Bay Seasoning (or if you don't have this in your area, find a recipe online)

Prep:
1. Grate zucchini into colander. Squeeze out as much water as possible. Place on paper towel & salt. Let sit 30 min. Again, squeeze out water w/paper towel.
2. In medium bowl, combine zucchini, egg, butter. Stir in breadcrumbs, onion, Old Bay. Mix well.
3. Shape into patties, place on cookie sheet. Bake 400F ~12-15 min on each side (24-30 min total).

Tastes a lot like crab cakes; goes well with the next actual crab pasta...

----------

Crab Pasta

8 oz. extra wide spiral egg noodles
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
16 oz. flaked imitation crab (I just used regular & was exquisite...)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese

1. Cook & drain pasta
2. In skillet, sauté garlic in butter.
3. Mix in drained pasta, sour cream, & crab.
4. Place in 9x13 bake dish. Sprinkle w/cheese.
5. Cover w/foil & bake 350F ~20 min.

----------

Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo Bake

8 oz. penne pasta, cooked & drained
2 cups broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked & diced
1 jar alfredo sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shreddd
2 Tbs butter

Prep:
1. Coat med bake dish w/thin layer of alfredo.
2. In mix bowl, combine pasta, broccoli, chicken, garlic, & alfredo sauce.
3. Pour in dish & top with cheeses.
4. Cut butter & scatter on top.
5. Bake 350F ~20 min until bubbly & hot.

I skipped the first step and just tossed all of the alfredo together; made no difference for me.

----------

And for almost-summer fun:

Fruit Salad
1 can pineapple wedges, UNdrained
1 can pear chunks, drained
1 cup strawberries, halved
1 banana, sliced

Prep:
1. Combine, making sure pineapple juice covers all fruit.
2. Serve.
:pink:

----------

Next we're going to try Chicken and Dumplings. We'll see.

ETA cited sources... Eggplant Pomodoro (which goes great w/Tofu Basil Ricotta), Tuna Croquettes from Kraft Food & Family, Poppyseed Noodles from Paula Deen, Hometown Chicken Pot Pie was from the old recipe archive (originally from Gooseberry Patch perhaps?), Broccoli Bake from Cooking Light, Zucchini "Crab" Cakes and the rest are from family/friends but there are recipes identical or similar all over the nets, so no clue.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The crab pasta sounds great. I'll have to try that once I'm allow pasta (been to a nutritionalist who has me off a lot of things other than beans, meat, veggies and sweets). And the poppy seed noodles is another I'm going to try. tfs

here is the link to our January Test it Taste it Rate it Recipes. They include recipes from Boston Market and Olive Garden and more..... If you go to recipezaar and search the word Copycat you can see a whole bunch of recipes to restaurant and grocery favorites... I hope that helps you out!!!!

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I have a good friend who got tired of hearing "I don't know?" and "Whatever" that she made up new dishes and named them "I don't know" and another named "Whatever". That way if her family made either of [*]hose comments that is what they got to eat.