Trying one new thing each week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
That sounds like a great idea. I guess the I don't know or whatever dishes for me must be simple and easy. Maybe a grilled sandwich of some sort and a pasta dish. Oh this will be great for the recipe book I am beginning to compile. Hopefully it will be done before our Christmas in July events and then I will try making a scrapbook format for the very first time!!!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
That's a site CEO shared last year to show Amanda's gorgeous scrap room. I just love it. :flower:

The "whatever" and "I don't know" idea is brilliant. That would be a great April Fools' Day meal, too. :haha:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
starflake- if you want to make real homemade dumplings, they are super simple and extremely tasty given the few ingredients needed. Here's how:

For two of you, I would use 5-6 eggs (this will give you leftovers depending on how big you make the dumplings so if you don't want leftovers use 4-5 eggs)
1 tbsp. of water for each egg used
Add salt and pepper.
Mix up the eggs with a fork and start adding flour. After each flour addition, mix with the fork. Add salt and pepper every now and then as well. You have to just eyeball it really. Once the mixture starts to get sticky and almost dough like, you're ready to drop by teaspoonfuls into a boiling pot of chicken broth. If you want noodles you do the same thing but you'll add more flour until the dough is stiff enough to roll out, then cut into strips and let sit for a bit. Then add the noodles to the boiling broth.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
"Someday" I'd love to do this for my daughter. Maybe when she's out of the house and I have some more time. What a wonderful gift that would be. And maybe someday when my scrapbooks are "current"...LOL

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
We don't try new foods very often-- kiddo gags at the table when we serve a new food-- it is quite annoying.

I typically cook the same thing each week with very little variation. For example: Thursday nights is pasta night. I know the best thing to make is spaghetti-- it will get eaten without a bunch of fussing. The only night I hear fussing (guaranteed) is Wednesday's. Hubby loves potatoes, I love potatoes with dumplings or sauerkraut, kiddo will only eat mashed potatoes. I try to rotate what kind of potato I make every three week. At least every 3rd week kiddo will be happy with his mashed potatoes.

Once in a great while I will try a new recipe... most of the time hubby will try it, I will eat it and kiddo will make himself a bowl of cereal or peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

cmerth said:
We don't try new foods very often-- kiddo gags at the table when we serve a new food-- it is quite annoying.

I typically cook the same thing each week with very little variation. For example: Thursday nights is pasta night. I know the best thing to make is spaghetti-- it will get eaten without a bunch of fussing. The only night I hear fussing (guaranteed) is Wednesday's. Hubby loves potatoes, I love potatoes with dumplings or sauerkraut, kiddo will only eat mashed potatoes. I try to rotate what kind of potato I make every three week. At least every 3rd week kiddo will be happy with his mashed potatoes.

Once in a great while I will try a new recipe... most of the time hubby will try it, I will eat it and kiddo will make himself a bowl of cereal or peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

LOL...I do the same thing. If they don't like it they will have to make themselves a sandwich BUT if they don't at least try it, snacks are no longer available after dinner. I also have very picky boys (3 of them) so supper time is not easy. I lve all kinds of food but for some reason they are set on having chicken nuggets, pizza, mac and cheese, spaghetti, etc... Vegetables has been the most recent challenge. For one of them it has been to the point where he must eat his vegetables BEFORE I put the main course on his plate. He went 3 days without eating his green beans and on the fourth night he decided to put the green beans in a slice of whole wheat bread and surprisingly (and grossly in my eyes..lol) he ate it.
Because of work, school, and baseball they have been pretty lucky to have most of the quick meals but pretty soon those days will be over and I will be putting my battle apron on and preparing for WWIII at the table :haha:

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Thanks for sharing, MrsSoup. I'll keep that in mind for the next time. :flower: