Week 1 Giveaway R.A.K.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Happy Christmas in July, everyone! This week I'd like to bring some of the true meaning of Christmas to the forefront by asking you to post some Random Acts of Kindness that we can do this month (or in December) to bring some Christmas into someone's life!
ie. The girls at work all have drawers at the front desk for their tips- I hope to put a candy cane kiss in each one(without their knowledge) to get them wondering and give them a smile!
So anyone who posts an idea, something they have done, or something they plan to do, will be entered into a draw for a christmassy prize pack for MHH's CIJ week 1! So let's get giving!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Jackfrosty - Thanks so much for hosting this week's CIJ chat thread and thanks for doing the giveaway! When I was reading your post I was thinking about what I could suggest and really could not come up with anything meaningful right away. When I read your hershey kiss idea I thought to myself that was something sweet and simple and I think I was trying to be way too elaborate!

You've got me thinking and I'll be back soon to post some of my ideas!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I wanted to bump this back up to the top and encourage people to comment - it's so fun to see what random acts of kindness others come up with. Plus, hello, JF is doing a giveaway with this! What's not to love about this combination???? And, I think it's a pretty fabulous random act of kindness she is showing to all of us here!

JackFrosty - Can you tell us when the last time to post to this is and still be eligible for the giveaway?

Post away, friends, post away!

For my random act of kindness I'm going to take breakfast in one morning for the girls that work for me. Some fresh fruit, coffee and bagels I believe.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
My great aunt is 80 and loves to feed the squrriels but can't seem to put the corn on the nail easily anymore. We go and do about 30 ears at a time by putting the ear of corn thru the nail making the hole for her and then when she changes it daily the hole is there and she doesn't have to make it. It slips on easily for her. In the fall we pick about 300 ears of corn for her to have for feeding. (and another 300 for her sister in Indiana who drives down to get it.)

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I think I may treat CW to lunch one day this week. Just cuz. I do that every once in a while. I would also like to help pay for a child to go to church camp. I can't afford the whold week, but I could give something, I think.

I also need to think of what to give my neighbors on my floor (apartment) for Christmas. It is always a secret Santa deal. I don't want them to know. Maybe I should do a CIJ gift! That's it! No one will expect a CIJ, now, would they?

I am buying ornaments at Goodwill and other thrift stores to make ornament wreaths for my kids. It will be an early gift, hopefully at Thanksgiving. Hmmm, I will ponder on this RAK some more. I love the idea. One time (a few years ago), I just happened to remember this, I was in the drive thru lane of a fast food place. I told the lady at the window that wanted to pay for the car behind me. Maybe I'll do that again.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Once when we had first moved to MO and were broke some one randomly/secretly gave us cash from our church. Last Christmas I took my girlfriend who was struggling b/c her dh was out of work and shw was trying to remain faithful to God through it DH and I picked her up and took her shopping for her kids for Christmas. It was our way of finally paying it forward. We just told her to take lots of pictures and one day when they could pay it forward.
Pam that's a good idea about buying food for the car behind you. Tell them merry CIJ. Or if you live where there are toll roads go in the full service lane and do the same.
Now I need to ponder a good idea. Maybe I'll put $ in the vending machine but not get anything.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Those are such fabulous ideas! Keep them coming!
Post as many ideas as you can think of for this week -I'll make the cut off for the draw midnight Sat. and I'll draw the winner sunday night-then we can spend the rest of the month doing some of these things for people around us!
(300 ears of corn!! WOW!)

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
A friend of ours participated on a Relay for Life team in June. One of the fundraisers they had was a Bingo night that had prizes. I donated some books for prizes & my DGD and I made smiley cards to go in them.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I am going to leave double my normal 20% tip for the server the next time my husband and I go out on date night next week and say Merry Christmas in July!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
At Christmas I always make goodies for our neighbors and deliver them.

Something i'm planning on doing this week is baking a bunch of stuff for the USO. They are always needing donations of baked goods and drink mixes for the soldiers, it can be homemade baked goods just has to be individually wrapped. They use them at the SRP site, where the soldiers have to go to update their records and stuff before they deploy. They only have one vending machine and it's sold out quickly in the mornings so the rest of the soldiers are left with nothing while they are there.

So, i'll bake a bunch of cookies or something and deliver them one day this week.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I always have extra change in my car and purse...instead of letting it weigh me down, I put it in other people's meters that are about to expire! A meter maid outside of our post office actually scolded me once, but I told her that it's my money and if I want to help a stranger that it was none of her business.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I love these ideas! Please keep posting them. I'm getting so much motivation from them. Colleen - great come back to the metermaid!! Love it!

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
When I went shopping last I decided it was entirely too hot for the older folks to be pushing their carts back to the store so I found myself take 3 or 4 back for them. At first they look suspicious, which breaks my heart, but then when they see I'm genuinely just offering to take their cart, they smile and are so grateful. I would push it from the store to their car, but so many of them use the cart to keep their balance.

Another thing I do regarding older people is to simply talk to them. This one gentleman stopped me to talk about some metal windmills and cowboys he makes. I bet he talked 20 minutes about them and was so proud. Soon, we parted ways, but he found me again and gave me one of his cowboys. How sweet is that? RAKs are contagious!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I think it's always fun in the Starbucks line to pay for the coffee beverage of the person behind you. People are generally shocked when you do it!

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
When I was growing up we lived across the street from a wonderful family. Their daughter is one of my oldest friends. Sadly, the mother passed away a few years ago. When the dad goes to visit his kids, I get his paper for him, water, get the mail- that sort of thing.

Upon his return- I've gotten into the habit of making a home cooked dinner for him and leaving it in the fridge. Any extras I put in the freezer.

This beautiful man visited me when I was up in Tucson for my surgery and he sent me cards all throughout my recovery.

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Have you all heard of Boom Boom cards?

I bought a deck of them. They are cards with a Random Act of Kindness listed on each card. Once you do the act, you leave the card with the person, so then they can do the act of kindness to someone else.

You can register you deck online and track where each card ends up.

They have decks geared towards children and teenagers as well.

Pretty cool.

Check it out:

http://boomboomcards.com/

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for the link to Boom Boom cards, Annie. What a cool concept!!!!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Annie, Those Boom Boom cards are a great idea. Thanks for sharing the site.

Often I may see a homeless person on my way to a store. I've purchased a bag of healthier snacks (trail mix, granola bars, fruit, water etc.) and brought the groceries to them. This way the food may last them a little longer, and unlike cash, I know they will eat something with some nutrition.

Along the shopping cart idea, I'm amazed how surprised some people get (especially older people) when you merely hand them a shopping cart first before pulling one out for yourself. Another nice thing is to be on the lookout to help people who ride the electric carts. Alot of times they have trouble getting things that are up high. Letting someone go before you in the checkout stand is always nice too.

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
JingleMom, I agree! Letting someone go ahead in line can really make their day! The other day I offered to let a guy go ahead of me, but he kindly refused, then let the woman behind him put her stuff on the conveyor. She was wearing one of those halos around her ankle and I thought it was so sweet of him to consider her comfort that way. What a doll! I did have to comment to her that I had a piece of glass in my foot that I had been whining about, but after seeing her with arms full of groceries, hobbling along on half a foot, I was immediately humbled and wished her the best. I also offer to get stuff off the top shelf for people all the time 'cause being taller than the average bear has it's advantages!