What books can you read over and over again?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
I love to re-read books at different points in time. My all-time favorite is "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

At different times in my life (child, young woman, adult, wife, Mother) I have been able to view characters and situations differently, given my own personal life experience, at differents times in my life; as a child, a young woman, an adult, a wife, a Mother).

My experience & perspective changes the way I can relate to the story, and I see it in a way unknown to me before. For example, viewing the Mother in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn: at a time when I was a wife & Mother added depth to the story that i was unaware of when I read the book for the first time at age 10.

Great topic - inspiring book selections ...

Gidget

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I read Animal Farm while I was in grade school. I remember it as a wonderful animal story. I was so excited to see it on my Middle school reading list. But the teacher burst my bubble when she started talking about what the book was really about. I think as a young child not knowing what some of the chapters were meaning I just enjoyed the story as a child and skipped the rest of it. Too me it was like Charlotte's web. Too bad I had to grow up. lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Oh, Gidget!!!!! I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!

Whenever I throw out an almost full cup of coffee (I tend to let them sit and grow cold), I think of Francie!

I want to re-read this one too!

I forget a lot of the ins and outs of books so last year I started a file on my computer where I write the book, author, how I got or heard about the book, a summary, and then my opinion.

Oh, I think we should all pick a book we can read together!!! Question is- How would we pick???

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Annie, You just tell us.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I have a couple of books that are in my que to read that I've promised people I'd read.

One is- I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe and the other is: The Help by Kathryn Stockett (movie currently out).

After that, I'm open!

Is this something we want to do for 2012? A book a month and have different MHHers pick a book?? Can do a discussion thread or chat?

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
LOL I am 110 out of 115 on the library waiting list for The Help..I looked everywhere including the library site for a free copy of A Tree grows in Brooklyn but no luck. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read enough classics like "Gone with the Wind"..I hope a classic is pick somewhere for a book read as they usually can be found on the web for free...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need to read some of the classics again too. It has been one of the things I've been mulling over in my mind lately.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I was actually searching 'must read books' online yesterday lol
Was thinking I need to expand my horizons.

girlsinmo The Help was a great book! Hope it does not take too long for you to get it enjoy.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Diedra do you have a favorite classic you'd recommend?

HouseElf I've heard good things about The Help. However, I'm leary about buying it as I also heard good things about Water For Elephants & I'm having trouble getting into it. So I'm not sure if it would suit my taste and it's not on sale yet..Free & cheap FB pages have me spolied LOL I hope it doesn't take long to get it

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
In honor of the 10th Anniversary of 9/11, I'm also going to read the 9/11 Commission report. I've always have meant to read it and I heard it reads like a novel. I want to see too how many of the reccomendations we have implemented- I'm thinking it's not very many.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I don't think I could read the 911 report. I'd probably just get mad.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
In honor of the 10th Anniversary of 9/11, I'm also going to read the 9/11 Commission report. I've always have meant to read it and I heard it reads like a novel. I want to see too how many of the reccomendations we have implemented- I'm thinking it's not very many.

Annie - I read this when it first came out...while it does read smoothly, i found it extremely frustrating because they were SO careful to make sure nothing was anyone's fault. My gut feeling was that it was a typical political whitewash...but I am the first to admit that I'm no expert. I am also a registered independent, so I have no real axe to grind for either party...there is plenty enough blame to go around. That's just how I feel...most of the facts that are presented are available for free online. Let me know if you do read it - I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen- I watched a documentary about the 9/11 Commission report. It was VERY good! Saw they were playing it on MSNBC over the weekend. It's called On Native Soil- it's narrated by Hillary Swank and Kevin Costner. I got it through Netflix.
You're correct too- Everything that happened was a result of the failings of many agency's over two administrations.

Good News- My friend's daughter, 10 year old Ashley agreed to read the Little House books with me! Her b-day party is on Sunday. Guess what she'll be getting from me? The first Little House book, Little House in the Big Woods. My favorite of the series!

Ahorsesoul- I think this one takes place in your neck of the woods.

Now- how to set up the reading time. When we'll finish, etc.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I WILL do that trip some day!!!!

Thanks, Ahorsesoul!

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great. I'll visit you when you get to Pepin!!!