Gift Closet 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
So I guess the danger of doing Christmas shopping so far in advance is that there are still lots of deals and steals to find leading up to Christmas.

Walmart had Halloween costumes marked down to half price. I grabbed Cinderella, Belle, and Sleeping Beauty. They were about $10 each and each came with a matching bracelet, tiara, necklace, and slippers. DD loves dress-up. I've been really wanting to get her a dress-up trunk, but getting these was less than half the price of the cheapest dress-up set I've found. I'm going to use of some novelty wools making little hats, shawls, etc. Asked my parents to keep their eyes out for other costumes after Halloween. One local store back home is known to put them on for $3-5. Just hope she still likes dress-up by next year!

Picked up a Weebles playground for $3 and a baby Thomas the Tank Engine with a farm and animals for only $3 as well. Figure those can go away for baby number 2. The present I bought for my nephew apparently doesn't fit in with the kind of toys they want for their child, so there is gift #3 for mystery baby for next year....kid will be young enough that I won't have to buy anything else if money is tight - which it could be with the move, the new baby, etc. Two more gifts for DD, and the kids will be finished!

I also found a Sesame Street playdough set marked down to $5....think that will just go away for one of those rainy days when I'm just wishing for something new to amuse DD for a little while.

Anyone else have gifts for 2013 already?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
WTG FS! I ALMOST bought some wooden for dnephews next year... markdown was 50%... I might still go Friday to check out if some are left.
I bought dniece a Halloween costume at 50% for her dress-up trunk, but that'll be for Christmas this year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Great job FS! I haven't even started yet but I plan to do some looking this weekend online.

For dress-up stuff, look at thrift stores for old hats, purses, shoes, scarves, shawls, etc. DD is 6 and my mom made her a dressup box for Christmas one year with some of my grandma's old stuff that we used to play with as children for dressup and she still likes to play with it. Your DD may not get it now but she will when she gets a bit older.

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I used my kohls cash from gifts i bought on black friday. I got 45 dollars in kohls cash so i bought three sets of duplo legos on sale for 15 each to put away for daycare children for birthdays, christmas 2013. They are primary colors, for ages 3 - 6, so they are good for any child. Also on black friday i bought two baby princess dolls for 6 dollars each and a glam barbie for 5 dollars at target to put away for daycare children. So i got six gifts for next year at a price of 17 dollars. Not a bad start for next year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am putting together a Christmas Eve pack for a brother and sister I know.
I have bought a lovely metal bucket with snowflakes for reindeer water, a bowl for reindeer food, mugs, and a plate for Santa cookies. I will make them some pjs and get them some hot choc, cookies, toothbrushes and perhaps a Christmas DVD.

It is a good time to think about what we can buy now for use for next year.

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I have added to gift stash for 2013 -- I am a "rewards member" for SEars and Kmart - each one sent me five dollars in points as a gift - so I bought two-- "doodle boards pack" - like a magna doodle - it comes with two boards, a large one and a small one - five dollars each -- so two more gifts for free !! I know have 8 toys to start with for a total cost of 17 dollars.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Our Kmart had winter chinos reduced to $2 a pair so I grabbed 2 pairs for DS birthday which is in July (winter here). I also got. 6 pairs of socks for me heavily reduced to $2.

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I went to target this morning to get wrapping paper, check on clearance. I got a disney mickey mouse memory game, christmas style for 2.49. will save that for this chrstmas. Got a bunch of daycare christmas, hanukkah crafts, decor for daycare all on clearance.
So to date i have: 2 magna doodle sets, two disney princess baby dolls, one glamour barbie, 3 lego tub sets, one memory game for 19.50 spent for nine gifts.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
I went to wally world yesterday & picked upa few things for next year bought my mother's bday gift in April & still haven't found christmas cards.... lol lol went to DG today & they didn't have their stuff on sale, for some reason. I really want to get it when it's 75% off.. lol I am a tight wad.... lol lol
I have laid out & made me a wrapping center in my pc room, so now I am going to b on top of it...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Picked up a few things for the gift closet. Got my mum 2long beaded necklaces in pink tones that were 14.95 each reduced to 4.00 each. Put them in a little purse I had so that is done. I go some lovely body sprays and aromatherapy body washes,. Got a few things for DD birthday in January, and some DVDs for DS birthday or maybe Easter.

I want to do more handmade gifts this year so need to write a shopping list for craft items soon so I can start getting a few more things in the gifts cupboard.

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I picked up some small silver metal snowflake candle holders at B&B Works for $1.50 each down from $3, Wal-Mart I got soxs that were down to $1. They were red/white strip and a couple others that aren't really just for Christmas so have 7 or prs of them.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i also got that mm memory card game from target. i got bags name tags boxes from target and walmart. i have plenty of wrapping paper left. i got one pr of pjs too.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I don't have anything yet, but my plan is to pick up things all year for my Mom. I want to start her Christmas Box again...haven't done that for her in a few years. While my DD is here with me I want to start a list of things to put in it

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have found that there has not been too much around in the way of Christmas items here. I am not sure if most of the stuff has already been sold or if it has been taken away to be sold again next Christmas. I have been a little disappointed.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I got some more of the silver candle holders, some of the thingys that go on the purse for the hand santizer for 25 cents, and at Hallmark 2 ornaments, and 2 precious moment snowman led things for my 2 co-workers today.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I went to Macy's yesterday and found some sweaters that were regularly $75.00 on sale for $15.00 so I was able to find 2 for my son in his size. Their Christmas things were just about gone. They also had their high end purses for 25% off so I bit the bullet and bought one for my daughter and one for my daughter-in-law. I know they will be very surprised when they open them next Christmas because they would never expect it. I also went to Dillard's because they always have a great sale on New Years Day on Christmas stuff. They didn't have anything to speak of so I won't need to go back tomorrow. I want to go to Hobby Lobby today because they went down to 66% off this week and also want to check out Han**** Fabric. JoAnn's was pretty much sold out of Christmas decorations and fabric. So all in all I feel like I have a great start to Christmas 2013!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
After perusing through the stores, I am convinced that I can do a lot of my shopping for the next year, right after Christmas!!!

Dillards had the MOST adorable scarves totally marked down. One for each gal, heck ya!!!
And jewlry- all marked down!
Bath and Bodyworks- You can get anything you need for the entire year of gift giving right after Christmas! And July also when they have another huge sale.

I have a Christmas account but thought- "Save some $$$ for after Christmas sales!"

We are already in the mood anyways, right??!!!

Christmaslvr- What goes in your Mom's Christmas box?

Annie

Last edited:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
You ladies are no joke. Love It! I haven't purchased any gifts yet but I did get a 40 count box of Christmas cards at half off and a set of tree ornaments for my tree next year (well this year) from Walmart for under $10.

Hope to find some good deals today when I go out with my best friend.