Jan. 3-16 Christmas Recovery Weeks

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
[X] De-decorate

[X] Pack away ornaments and inventory boxes and locations (place in notebook)

[X] Create a gift closet

[ ] Clean out Christmas notebook....just clean it out...will work on it Rudolph Day

[X] Create or organize gift wrapping box/storage spot...put in new rolls of paper, tissue, ribbons, bags, etc

[X] Clean out refridgerator.....get rid of any lingering leftovers.

[ ] Pack away holiday DVDs, music, books etc. Note where they are located so you can use them on Rudolph Days

[X] Update Christmas card list

[ ] make tags from Christmas cards

[X] put all christmas mags and craft books in one place(tote)

[X] organize receipts for Christmas 2010

Last edited:

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Fabulous list! and for some reason I really like the word "de-decorate", makes it less sad somehow-lol! I am sooo going to try and stay on track this year, these lists are a huge help..

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Thanks a lot for your list, Ginger! It is really motivating and inspiring...

This will be my list:

De-decorate

Pack away ornaments and decoration items - I will have different boxes:
- crafts and wrapping supplies
- ornaments which are needed in advent
- ornaments for christmas itself (eg ornaments for christmas tree, nativity,...)

Clean up of the living room - here I had most of our decoration

Put up winter decoration

Plan Rudy days more precisely

cleaning out the fridge

finish "Christmas laundry" of my tableclothes and centerpieces

I will start with it this weekend

Chilli

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
So....I got the refridgerator cleaned out....got rid of lingering leftovers etc....headed to Aldis to stock up on some stuff...the holidays pretty much depleted my supplies...!!!

Still need to clean out a couple cupboards though that have random crackers, cookies, etc in them

christmas32

Retire Member
Dec 26, 2009
Love it, love it, love it. I didn't get much out in the way of decorating this year but I really want to go through all my tons of boxes and purge, purge, purge! Then inventory everything so I've got a list and plan for 2010. Thanks.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Progress Report...

[/] De-decorate - In progress, upstairs is completely done. Hope to finish downstairs this weekend!

[/] Pack away ornaments and inventory boxes and locations (place in notebook)

[X] Rededicate space to a gift closet

[X] Clean out Christmas notebook

[X] Create or organize gift wrapping box/storage spot...put in new rolls of paper, tissue, ribbons, bags, etc

[ ] Pack away holiday DVDs, music, books etc. Note where they are located so you can use them on Rudolph Days

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
TO DO
[ ] De-decorate

[ ] Sort gift totes

[ ] Find a new home for the gift totes, gift wrapping box and storage

[ ] Clean out refrigerator

[ ] Pack Rudolph Day tote for January

[ ] Update addresses

We think we’ll be hosting foreign missionaries from Dec’10 to Apr’11 so I need to move the gift closet/wrapping paper out of the guest room closet and turn my storage room into a bedroom for their boys. The storage room has beds, but I’ve been using them as shelves:eek:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have been procrastinating a bit here. It is warm and DD has been working so I have not done much. Must start today because it is back to work for us on Monday and I refuse to come home to this disaster. Must get moving. I'm sure that once I start it will not take long.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
All has been undecorated and put back into the christmas storage cubby which I have cleaned up also. Used a different area for gifts this christmas, liked it so will use it this next year. Put out a few snowmen for a winter scene. Fridge is clean, laundry caught up, I had to get a head start because I will be at the barn next week for my sows to deliver! I know how much that takes a toll on my life schedule. Also both kids start basketball practices this week, so life will get busier. I revamped the jumpstart jan. schedule to fit my life, next two weeks I will be cleaning the upstairs, which is both kids rooms and a tv area. It is also where the christmas cubby is so I am just working my way away from that! The area isn't that big so should be able to do it all in two weeks if everyone cooperates, lol.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Okay, here's my list. I'm not taking decorations down until Epiphany (Jan6) so I have time yet.

[ ] De-decorate

[ ] Pack away ornaments and decorations

[ ] Pack away holiday DVDs, music, books etc

[ ] Pack away wrapping paper/ribbon/etc

[ ] Clean out fridge/get rid of lingering leftovers/wipe down inside

[ ] Wrap up finances from Christmas/ clear out wallet/deal with receipts/ etc

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Jan. 3-16 Christmas Recovery Week

What a great list! We have all of our decorations down and the rooms put back together except the dining room. I still need to pack away the Christmas dishes and redo the hutch. I have a set of snowflake dishes I use in Jan. and Feb. All of the decorations are in the basement so I need to pack everything away and make an inventory. I am also going to go through my gift closet, which is a closet under the steps, and decide if anything needs to go to Goodwill.
Guess I better get busy!!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Gingerbug...thanks for the list to inspire all of us.

Sparklenana said...In a way -- things are easier, having New Years just one week after Christmas. The "holiday period" continues on. In a way, I think it makes Christmas even more important. Life does not just go back to normal after Christmas Day. We continue celebrating - and thinking about values. Christmas is about values in our life -- and so is New Years.

I agree with you on this, I think it is all a part of the Christmas package to have New Years a week later... it extends the festivities and allows us to enjoy all that we planned for all year.

I like taking the month of January to pack up Christmas and do not start any of it until after the new year. January to me is the beginning month...time to get things moving in the direction we want things to go this year. Occasionally "life" does get in the way, but until it does, I like the undoing of the holidays.

I know for a lot of you, returning to work and schedules for the family, tend to kick it in high gear for you, I remember those days. Just don't add pressure to yourself trying to do it all at one time. Right now time may be on your side...at least for a little while. Enjoy!!!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
[ ] Clean out Christmas notebook....just clean it out...will work on it Rudolph Day

[ ] make tags from Christmas cards

[X] put all christmas mags and craft books in one place

Okay, so far so good! I work tomorrow but need to get a tote for all Christmas mags and books, also those DVDs!

Last edited:

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
So here's my update so far:

[X] De-decorate

[X] Pack away ornaments and inventory boxes and locations (place in notebook)

[X] Create a gift closet

[X] Clean out Christmas notebook....just clean it out...will work on it Rudolph Day

[X] Pack away holiday DVDs, music, books etc. Note where they are located so you can use them on Rudolph Days

I still need to check on my addresses, and update the gift closet inventory. Back to school tomorrow for all of us, and with final exams looming, extra study hours will be needed! Its good to have a head start on all of this!

Have a good week, everyone!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
The de-decorating is underway...BUT no where near done....tomorrow night's goal is to bring up two totes to get packed....that will be a start...and to take the two little trees downstairs and put them away...!!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
My List

Great List Idea!

The first two weeks of Jumpstart January will be Christmas Recovery....

[ ] De-decorate inside

[ ] Get hubby to bring home big box for fake tree.

[ ] De-decorate outside

[X] Create a gift closet

[X] Clean out Christmas notebook, print updated pages (even got cards addressed for next year!)

[ ] Create or organize gift wrapping box/storage spot...put in new rolls of paper, tissue, ribbons, bags, etc

[X] Pack away holiday DVDs, music, books etc. (These are always under TV stand)

It's a good start!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
working on the De-decorating but it is nowhere near done! Doesn't help that our tree fell over on New Years day!!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Another Progress Report...

[/] De-decorate - Almost there! I got almost everything boxed up from the downstairs. But I still need to take the lights off the big tree in the living room and take the tree down.

I'll need DH's help with moving all the boxes into the storage area - too heavy for me right now! But it shouldn't take long. I'm hoping to recruit his help with tearing down that last tree too - it will make it go alot quicker!

[/] Pack away ornaments and inventory boxes and locations (place in notebook) - Living room boxes still waiting to be put away, but since I only have 2 storage areas I'm not too concerned about keeping track of what box is where. Upstairs decorations go in the attic, downstairs decorations go in the unfinished part of the basement. Easy peasy!

I do have brightly colored index cards taped to all boxes and bags with a list of what is inside. I did that last year and referred to them when packing things up this year so the cards are still correct. It makes it alot easier when getting things out!

[X] Rededicate space to a gift closet

[X] Clean out Christmas notebook

[X] Pack away holiday DVDs, music, books etc. Note where they are located so you can use them on Rudolph Days - We keep holiday DVDs in the drawers with our regular DVDs since they get watched here and there all year long. Same thing with Christmas CDs, they just have their own spot on the shelf in the office. Got to have those handy! :)

All in all, I am happy to be in sight of the finish line here!

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
AuntJamelle -- the idea of taping brightly-colored index cards to the outside of the Christmas boxes --- that is briiliant! And leaving them on the boxes -- for the after-Christmas packing! Wonderful!!!!

Christmas things are being removed from the family room. there are two staging areas. In the living roo -- Staging Area 1: the Christmas tree and its box. They are joined together-- although I can't say that the tree is completely IN its box. Tubs of Christmas stuff surrounds the tree. These things will go into the attic -- at some undertermined future time.

A second Christmas staging area is in our bedroom. We won't go into detail about the various outcomes for those things.

And -- I believe that there are unknown Christmas things in the guest room/office -- but it is too dangerous to walk in there now. This room will have to be dealt with - inch by inch! The danger of falling is great -- if you should try to walk INTO the room.