Jan. 3-16 Christmas Recovery Weeks

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Yes company is a good incentive.....or you can read about my moaning and groaning over at Month by Month....I am blogging Jumpstart January...and it's not pretty...LOL....but hey...I still have one week on the Christmas Recovery Phase....so there's still hope....

http://monthbymonthwithgingerbug.blogspot.com/

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Gingerbug --- I know so many people who have not even STARTED to take down Christmas 2009... and they aren't even giving it a thought! WE (in the MHH Family) are SO FOCUSED on Christmas..... that we keep setting the bar really high for ourselves!

I think yoiu are a genius, Gingerbug, for giving us all TWO WEEKS for each "section". And.... if one section blurs over into another..... so what? We'll get through this together!

Last edited:

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
Ok, the tv room is done, as well as the bookcase/hallway upstairs, working on DD & DS rooms this weekend, and then down the stairway onto the landing where I have tons of stuff that needs cleaning! The incentive for the kids, no friends over till the upstairs is clean, since that is their area it seems to be working. I have been stripping beds and washing curtains while they clean dressers and closets, I am loving the two weeks for an area, thanks Gingerbug! Plan on being done by this next Friday since we start basketball games next Saturday. I will keep everyone posted.

Princess_Christmas

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
I'll try posting this again,

Area's to clean:
-Craft room
-Bedroom
-bathroom

All my christmas stuff is down, my winter village will stay for at least another month

progress on craftroom:
*bookshelf organized
*craft cupboard organized
*craft desk cleaned
*game shelf organized
*art easle organized
*1/2 floor washed
*book table cleaned off

still to do:
*chair
*desk
*other 1/2 of floor

Bedroom - still to do:
*shelf around room
*top of dresser
*floor
*bed
*closet

bathroom
*tub/shower
*mirror and medicine cabinet
*toilet
*floor

So hopefully I can get to the end of my list by end of week, my motivation is no new crafts until the craftroom is spotless

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
That incentive is a great idea, Princess Christmas!!! And -- the bonus is that you will have a wonderful craft room to work in!

Giving ourselves incentives is really helpful!

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
All that's left out now are the snowmen and general winter decorations...mostly candle holders. Had to buy 2 new containers to hold some of the basement stuff, as they were in flimsy cardboard boxes.

DH was a huge help clearing the area under the stairs where we store some of the more delicate decorations! They're all up now!

Need to get to those thank you notes...I'm using a site I found on here last year to make mitten thank you cards. Should be pretty easy...just need to get to it!

Christmas Recovery:

Organize and clean out bins :

[x] Living room decorations
[x] Dining room decorations
[x] Kitchen decorations
[x] Basement decorations
[x] Stuffed animals
[x] Ornaments

Take down decorations:

[x] Living room
[x] Dining room
[x] Kitchen
[x] Basement
[x] Outside lights and decorations

[x] Take down and toss out tree
[x] Update Christmas card list
[x] Stack boxes awaiting closet clean-out
[x] Boxes to attic

[] Thank you notes made
[] Thank you notes written and mailed

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Yipppee.....I made some progress today....

Snowmen are all packed away and the tote downstairs
All signs and pictures are down and packed
Little Trees are downstairs..
Lighted garland is down from tops of cabinets

STILL NEED TO DO:
Santas are gathered...still need to pack in tote but I can't find the one they go in
Kitchen: Still need to wrap and pack the Mexican Nativity set
Little Childs desk: Variety of Christmas....that needs to be packed

NOW the basement is another story....there's still some sorting and organizing to do down there but I'm happy with the progress thus far!!!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
Got some stuff done!!!

TO DO
[ ] Create a gift closet
[ ] dig all Christmas laundry out of the laundry mountain and wash
[/] Pack away ornaments and inventory boxes and locations
[/] Pack Rudolph Day tote
[X] use last of the holiday type food and candy, etc.
[X] organize elf box and fix holiday casualties... broken ornies
[X] De-decorate
[X] Create or organize gift wrapping box/storage spot
[X] Clean out refridgerator

TO BUY
[X] clearance candy and cuties ~ need to pick up candy canes

TO PLAN
[ ] hold a holiday de-briefing
[X] Clean out Christmas notebook

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am happy with progress so far - of my original list, I only have painting left not done (and that has been postponed until after our remodelling work in the summer). I have one small de-decorating element left to do - taking 4 pictures of DD's from the windows in the playroom and putting them away with the decorations.

Apart from that, this week I am back at work, so I want to concentrate on getting organised for the Engineers Ball on Friday night (DH is invited to attend at the President's Table, so I need a posh frock!) and for visitors over the weekend (I still don't know who I am having, but they will all be arriving on Saturday). And getting my Christmas notebook finalised also - I have a few things I want to change for this coming Christmas and I need to record those in advance.

If I find time for some extra attention, I want to concentrate on the dining room, as there are a couple of clutter piles building there again already.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Over the weekend I finished the living and dining rooms. Cleaned the bathroom - taking down the holiday linen and putting up my regular linen. I even reorganized the cabinet. I started on my bedroom late yesterday and didn't get to finish it so that will be top priority when I get home this evening.

I keep finding Christmas decorations everywhere. Like I forgotten the big snowflakes I had hanging in the patio windows. But I think I will leave them there til the end of January. They fit the type of weather we've been having - Snow!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
[ ] Clean out Christmas notebook....just clean it out...will work on it Rudolph Day

[ ] Pack away holiday DVDs, music, books etc. Note where they are located so you can use them on Rudolph Days

[ ] make tags from Christmas cards

Okay these last things seem to be hanging on for me!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
CanadianJingles said:
[X] De-decorate

[X] Pack away ornaments and decorations

[X] Pack away holiday DVDs, music, books etc <I>DVDs are away. Books to be done today</i>

[X] Pack away wrapping paper/ribbon/etc

[ ] Clean out fridge/get rid of lingering leftovers/wipe down inside

[x] Wrap up finances from Christmas/ clear out wallet/deal with receipts/ etc

I think I'll leave the fridge for tomorrow, but I'm going to tackle the rest of it today. I just put that on my to-do list. :)

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
More progress:

TO DO
[x] De-decorate - Done. My DS(4) insisted that the house looked too bare, so we actually hauled out the Valentine's Day stuff...what can I say, he's my holiday boy!!!

[x] Pack away ornaments and inventory boxes and locations - we're having drains dug in our basement (too much flooding) so everything was moved and "reorganized". It was a good excuse to look in EVERY bin down there and inventory/label. It was a huge job that took all of New Year's weekend, but it's finally DONE! Whew!

[x] Create a gift closet - I use rubbermaid bins...I ended up with too many stocking stuffers for the boys, so it looks like their Easter baskets are done early!

[x] Clean out refrigerator

[/] Plan Rudolph Days - I need to do better this year...maybe if I have a plan mapped out ahead of time, I'll get more done.

[X] dig all Christmas laundry out of the laundry mountain and wash - Done!

[X] organize elf box and fix holiday casualties - Done!

[X] go through holiday 2009 magazines and tear out pages I want to keep, add to NB - Done!

[/] put away Christmas CD's, DVD's and books - books are packed away, CD's and DVD's are in binders that never really get put away - I need them!!! ;)

[/] Finish Thank You notes and mail - 3/4 done

TO BUY
[x] clearance candy and cuties - I just can't help myself!

TO PLAN
[X] hold a holiday de-briefing - Done!

[ ] Clean out Christmas notebook - my NB needs a desparate overhaul! Maybe this Rudy Day?

Thank you, ladies! We had a lovely Christmas and I credit all of you with not only sharing your wonderful ideas, but keeping a fire lit under my behind! I'm looking forward to more of the same in 2010!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
A little more progress:

TO DO
[ ] Create a gift closet
[/] dig all Christmas laundry out of the laundry mountain and wash
[X] De-decorate

TO BUY

TO PLAN
[x] hold a holiday de-briefing

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
FINALLY!!! The last of any lingering Christmas items are out of the house and back in the garage! lol

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
Got DD room cleaned this weekend, including closet and dresser. Need to clean DS room in the evenings this week. After I finish the stairway tomorrow and wednesday the upstairs will be done!!!!!! Next two weeks, the office, filing and tax prep. Then I will know what we are getting back on our taxes and can plan my projects accordingly!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
What a great feeling to know that I have almost finished everything on my list! The things that are not finished are started and I still have 6 days left!!!

TO DO
[/] dig all Christmas laundry out of the laundry mountain and wash
[X] De-decorate
[X] Create a gift closet

TO BUY

TO PLAN
[x] hold a holiday de-briefing

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
In a way, we completed our Christmas 2009 celebration yesterday afternoon -- when we took ds#1 to the airport!!! (ddil#2 gave him some Christmas packages to tuck into his suitcase!)

NOW...... I am beginning the celebration of Christmas 2010!!! Sort of! I picked up some gifts for 2010 at the Pier One 75% off sale yesterday......

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
SparkleNana I'm so glad you and your family all got to be together. I love moments like that.

Yesterday while sorting laundry I found more holiday linen that needs washing and put away. (Hmm, thought I did them all). Oh well in the wash they will go this evening.

I've been working on plans for Christmas 2010 also. I made of list of things to do for each Rudy Day, printed new pages from OC for my notebook, and bought a new Christmas Dvd.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I love the list!! Can't wait to get started on it this evening!! I love being part of this.