August 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Gingerbug started off our July Thread a little early..... so we could think about our goals for July. What a good idea. So.... I am following her.... and starting August a day early, too! Will you have any special goal(s) for August?

For me..... August will be.... I don't know how to put it! The reorganizing of the filing system is leading to a total reorganization of the home and business financial systems, work and time reorganization It would be great if this project could be completed by the end of August! Then...... I could start off "the new school year" with new, much improved systems!!!! A new way of doing things!

So... I guess that is my goal for August.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
My goal for August is to get as much done on the main level of the house as possible. I want to go through each room, piece by piece, drawer by drawer, shelf by shelf, etc. and get rid of anything that we no longer use or haven't used in a year or more. The living room and dining room don't have anything in them but furniture so those are done. The main things will be our bedroom, the kitchen, bathroom, and pantry. I did Eli's closet the other day and all his clothes before that, but will go through his toys in this as well.

Then for September my goals will be the storage room downstairs and straightening DH's room where all his tools and stuff are downstairs.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I've been MIA for quite some time, but I'm back, and hopefully still able to do something about my sewing room/office -- my only de-cluttering goal for this year. I did get the Martha Stewart cubbies at Home Depot with the canvas drawers -- nine of them. They are now full of quilt kit projects and knitting projects. I emptied a lot of tote bags, and now I need to find a place for them!! I only have a couple of Christmas gifts now. Last year, I was almost done by this time. The thing I need to do next year is clean out and organize the guest room closet, which is where all my wrapping stuff is. I can hardly get into the closet now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
August and September I will aim to hit high gear as it is the end of winter and the beautiful spring days make it easier to declutter. I have been hibernating a little the past few weeks, it has been too miserable to do anything BUT I have so much that I want to get done before the dreadful dys of summer arrive.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Sweetpumpkinpye.... I join you in hoping for August (and September!) to be "high gear months"!!!!

Happy August 1st! We have a brand new month to begin new Decluttering Jobs! And, please remember, that every little bit helps!

I will celebrate our new month by buying a big new box of trash bags!!!!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
July was a bust for me really not much got done. I did declutter the area behind my front door where the stairs are and made a bench out of an old hopechest turned toy box now turned bench to store shoes and we are loving it. I put a picture on my blog if any one is interested in seeing it.

August for me is just to declutter as much as possible. We are now into the last couple of weeks of two legues of softball for my youngest daughter, but tonight starts full force cheer for her. She has a regular ball game today for one legue and semi playoffs for Little league all stars this afternoon then three hours of cheer tonight. Hopeing to get at least get my desk decluttered and organized in between today.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
KimD.... I went to your blog... and I LOVE what you did with the old chest! That is such a HUGE improvement over the system that was there before! I never would have thought of turning the chest sideways! It looks fabulous with the pillows.... AND it is so useful! GREAT JOB!

I will be working right alongside you in August.... just having a Decluttering Festival Month!!!!! Please be a little bit easy on yourself... since you are hugely busy with your job and your family!!!!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
August 2nd, 2011! Clutter out! "Room For Change"... IN!

Yesterday, I began in the entrance hall-area-space. One big trash bag filled with clutter and Out The Door! another is almost ready to go OTD!!! This time.... for August.... I aim to go through the house..... decluttering. Not so much cleaning.... emphasis this time of getting rid of stuff! Opening up space.

And... the second half of the goal is the paperwork and systems.... business and home organizing systems. Decluttering and reorganizing those systems.... is the second half of the August work.... for me.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I still need to finish up decluttering DS closets. It's been a slow project because it is so hot. I also want to declutter the bathroom cabinets. I'm also ambitious and I'm hoping to declutter the laundryroom. If I can get these areas all decluttered this month, then I can focus on the garage with DH in September. This decluttering will also help when I start the HGP.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Thanks for getting us started...my focus remains the same.....the two major areas are still the basement and garage...if it ever cools down I might actually work on the garage but it is August....soooo...most likely the basement. I have gotten rid of a lot and it is making a difference but still much to do.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Sparkle Nana thank you I had never thought of putting it on its side until I set it that way on one of the girls bed that way. I didn't want to get rid of it but needed todo something with it. I emailed a picture of it to my aunt and she loved it, as do we and I can say that it does keep the area clean I think because the kids love the way it looks.

I did get the desk decluttered, plus the rest of the livingroom except for an old computer desk that right now that holds the stereo, Kenny's amp is under it along with some other things that are used daily but I was looking around for something to put in its place and looking at it and thought if I paint it, it would make a great vanity in the girls room. They have one but it is a vanity and smaller and does not work for two girls that have so much junk so I figure it can stay where it is for a little while longer til I finish up the girls room

Today is the kitchen I have alot todo in there and am going to get to work on it in a couple of mins here.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
August 3rd! Good Morning! Real Life hit yesterday afternoon: dd got stuck in a traffic jam behind an accident.... and couldn't get to camp to pick up dgs#2. Dh and I took that as a great reason to stop working and rush to the camp. We brought dgs home.... and then stayed through dinner, while dd rushed off to a pre-school meeting with one of the teachers!

Today will be another camp-pick-up day..... in mid-afternoon. That leaves plenty of time for routines.... AND for August Decluttering today.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Today my decluttering will take on a different approach. I plan to go to my classroom and declutter. I start back on Monday and would love to have it all decluttered and ready to go.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
A few things at a time...

2 stuffed animals will be donated, 1 tv remote in the garbage (no more tvs match this one) and 2 more have to be checked by kids.... I don't know what they match.
4 hockey socks in the garbage.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
July was a great month for me de-cluttering wise. Some of you may remember the council were rewiring my house and fitting a new kitchen and it called for major decluttering as we put the house back in order. So things are in a great state. I need to decorate though to feel like our flat is truly a home but that also needs money.

So August will be about de-cluttering paperwork (also a heads up for starting HHP). This includes household builds and all of my teaching resources that I've been gathering, so my desk will be included in that focus.

The council work has made me be more aware of clutter and although its not perfect, I'm just in good shape and I don't think there has been a day go by when something hasn't gone in the bin :)

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I ended up with a major migrane so it ended up being a laying on the couch day watching movies with the kids. Going to try and work on the kitchen tomorrow since we only have one ball game to attend

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
No head ache today I don't think that Makayla is going to her game so hopeing today to finish getting the kitchen done. Along with finish getting the chair stripped down and hopefully sanded

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
August 4, 2011! It is so encouraging to read about other MHH people's "Decluttering Journeys"! GO US!!!!!

Yesterday turned into a long afternoon/evening with the dgs. I'm tired today..... but "physically tired" does great with "paperwork decluttering".... since that is "mental work.... not physical work".

And, Thursday is the day to put out the trash and recycling.... for early Friday pick-up. For some reason.... that always inspires me to "get a little more Out The Door"!

Does anybody know how many days until the "2011 Christmas Plans" begin. (The ones from OrganizedChristmas.com). Choosing one of those plans.... that always seems to give us another good decluttering incentive!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
August 5th Happy Friday! As part of our year-long decluttering effort.... I will be working with one of the Christmas-prep plans from OrganizedHome.com. I will follow the Holiday Grand Plan.... which begins on August 28th this year. The first week puts attention on the Front Porch. Along with getting the plan organized. (The Second Week works on the Living Room.)

In the past, I have spent A LOT of time working on each room, during the plan. This year.... our Decluttering Club has helped me work throughout the year.... so I think I can spend less time working on the plan this year. Allowing more time for Real Life!

How about you?