August 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This week my goal is
10 sessions of 30 minutes each- cleaning/chores/organizing

I'm going to do whatever strikes my fancy for each session.

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
AnnieClaus... what a beautiful, concise, crisp "goal" for the week!

So.... 8/16/11. I am going to be working in the bedroom again today (along with the other, routine stuff.) Because...... dh and I had an absolutely delightful, wonderful break yesterday...... dgs3 was a little bit sick..... so dh and I picked up dgs from camp...... and returned them home. Then we had a light supper and a lovely glass of wine with dd, visited briefly with dsil when he got home, and came home to watch TV. Dgs3 was snuggly and a little quiet..... instead of his normal -- two-year-old-tornado! But not really sick. It was just nice!

So.... off to work!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I emptied one box from my dining room on Sunday. Changing out decor, so I took down what I dont' like and it's ready to go in the donation box. :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Tuesday evening. Well..... I did what I could in the bedroom. It's not done yet..... and I wish that it was done! However.... it is already better than it has ever been.... So... I'll continue working on the bedroom tomorrow. It really IS nice to have more and more open space.... in that room. I'll go through my dresser drawers again tomorrow. WHY do I still have things that I haven't worn for years... and don't like at all? Let's see if we can get rid of some of them tomorrow!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I bought two totes at WM today for the bottom of the closet that DD14 and I share. I am going to put my Christmas sweaters in one - I have only a few of them. In the second larger tote, I am putting my T-shirts. Most of them are "spirit" shirts for the school where I teach. On Fridays, we are allowed to wear blue jeans with a spirit T-shirt. After 11 years at the same school, I have quite a collection...and yes, I have discarded many over the years! lol See, I knew what you all were thinking! hahaha

SN, I am so proud of you for your stick-to-it-tiveness.

I am beginning to do better than I had been doing. My main problem is getting uninterrupted time at home. I hate to leave things in the middle - and in a mess - because sometimes it is days before I can come back to it. Tomorrow, I am working on the living room. I think fall decorations may be on the horizon.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
, I am putting my T-shirts. Most of them are "spirit" shirts for the school where I teach. On Fridays, we are allowed to wear blue jeans with a spirit T-shirt. After 11 years at the same school, I have quite a collection....

Your Spirt Shirt that you no longer are wearing would be cute made into a quilt or pillows for gifts to other teachers.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Last year, we did make a quilt with old T-shirts then raffled it off. My CW made it. She is thinking about doing another one this year.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Miss Jane we have a ton of those tee-shirts as well as sweat shirts. Since both of my younger kids are very big into sports I like to have different ones to wear and so do all 4 of my kids. I am doing a tee-shirt quilt for my youngest son along with sweatshirt pillows once I get a chance to. For my oldest son I am doing a Syracuse tee-shirt quilt and sweatshirt pillows because all he wears is SU clothing especially if its basketball (kid after his mothers heart). Last year my youngest son had to play football in the next town over and I had to go out and buy a couple tee-shirts and a sweatshirt for something to wear to his games. I couldn't wear our school colors there.

Today I am getting the kitchen done I am sick of looking at it. My pan rack fell the other day because the tip of the hook fell I have no clue how long it had been up there so tonight I will have to go buy another one.

I just got out of work so I am going to change my clothes and get to working on the kitchen and get some laundry done.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Got 2 pairs of capri out the door... not much... but it's something :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
August 20th! Hello... Beloved Club Members! Is this the BEST club that you have ever belonged to? I love this Club! I LOVE this Club!

Luludou..... I love that you posted about the two things Out The Door! Some days..... Real Life takes over.... and I don't get ANY decluttering done.

But.... it is the strangest thing...... my house has been getting bigger and bigger..... since I joined this beautiful Club!

As I walk through the rooms.... I see more and more SPACE. It is so beautiful. It makes me feel calm.

The less "stuff" that I have.... the less I have to worry about.

Not with children.... I always have to say this. They NEED their stuff.... it is part of their growing up well.

I don't get rid of dh's stuff. Dh doesn't need much stuff. Not compared to me! I accumulated a lot of stuff.... while I was raising a family. Now.... I don't need it so much.

Today.... I'll do a lot.... or a little. Every Baby Step helps. And our Club..... really, really helps!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Blah- I haven't done any of my 10 30 minute sessions.

I have to remember that when my dad is gone and I am going to visit with my mom every day, that my to do list has got to be kept to a minimum.

Family obligations come first and my dad gets back tomorrow.

Annie

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Annie, you won't always have your parents, but you will always have "stuff". Enjoy your parents while you can. This is not something you should feel guilty over. I know it is frustrating having too much stuff, but you will get to it when the time is right. (((HUGS)))

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks, Jane! You are so right!

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Very good messages, AnnieClaus and missjane! Very true!

So..... it is Sundy, August 21st. In one week.... we begin our 2011 Christmas Plans.

Today is a day of "small jobs" for me. Small jobs. "Baby Seps" kinds of jobs.

It is going to storm outside. Dark clouds have rolled in. thuner began intermittently. Now.... it is geting more and more frequent. Soon.... here will be rain.

I LIKE to be inside while it rains. (I have NO small children with me. It is a diferent world when it rains.... and you have bored small children around.)

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
AnnieClaus, I am fortunate to still have my mom and she is 90 and living alone in her own apartment in a senior apt. building. I can date most of my clutter,especially papers that needed to be tossed, to the months she needed me the most. Now that she is feeling back to her regular self, I can spend more time getting my house in order. I have less feeling of guilt with clutter then I would If I didn't spend the extra time with my mom, even if it meant sitting and watching the news or a cooking program with her. One thing about clutter, it's always there waiting for you! BTW my mom decluttered her place years ago. Definitely a motivator for me!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Tuesday, August 23rd! Believe it or not..... we are TWO/THIRDS of the way through 2011! All I can say is...... "decluttering" is a really big job and a year-long Decluttering Club was a brilliant idea! (Thanks, Gingerbug!)

Yesterday.... I worked in the living room.... and.... in the basket for firewood, under some birch logs that dh had found.... were all my medical information materials from February, 2011.... when I was recovering from the broken leg. (Information on exercises and medications and all kinds of things.) So.... even though I was "concentrating" on decluttering..... at the same time..... another part of me was actually "cluttering". It is definitely an on-going process!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Hey kids!! I haven't been here all summer and finally am making time to park myself in front of the computer instead of using my phone! I can't wait to go back and see what I've been missing in all this time!

Last week I emptied out our garage, which is front to back, floor to ceiling filled with boxes/bins that I moved here with 2 years ago. I managed to reduce the number of boxes by 6. I also have about 10 that I am going thru (a few each day) and seeing what I can let go of. So far I've reduced another 2 boxes and just today dropped off some donations at Goodwill!

I'm hoping I can back here daily again...I sure do miss you all and it really does help me stay more organized!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great job Christmslvr! You really are decluttering alot. I only got rid of 1 pair of sandals yesterday... better than nothing I guess.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Christmaslvr.... How wonderful to hear from you again!!! You have really jumped back in.... your decluttering is great now!

Whatt are your plans? Are you going to stay in California.... move to Florida.... or do something entierly new???