August 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Craftylady, I read a suggestion somewhere to use the papers we shred as filler in gift bags. My shredder cuts in diamond shapes instead of strips, but if it cut in strips, I would use it at Christmas for gift bags and baskets. I would mix it with wrapping paper leftovers that were too oddly shaped or small to use that I shredded.

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
missjane that's a great idea to use scraps of wrapping paper in the shredder to mix with regular shredding. I'll have to remember that and find a place to store a little of the mixed shredding for gift bags/baskets. I'll have plenty more shredding to use by Christmas.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Missjane.... I like that idea too!

August 11th. I have a month-long project for August. It is a BIG project. Boy.... it's boring! But..... visible progress is being made!!! (Reorganizing the home and work office systems is the project for August.)

I'm not going to do ANY "big projects" for the rest of this year. No matter HOW you divide it up..... "eating the elephant" makes you pretty sick of "elephant meat".

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I almost finished one of my DS's closets. He had items in there from High School days. Many items on the bottom and in the back was very neatly stacked in boxes and in neat piles. This makes me feel better because at least I know at one time he really did try to organize himself in there. Then there was the top pile of everything under the sun! I can see how the closet got away from him and just got to be too big of a project for him to do!! He told me to just get rid of everything and he didn't want to even go through it. Everything else in his room is neat and in order. I guess sometimes we just need someone else to toss our things and for us not to look back. I wish my DH felt that way about the garage... I would just have two cars and my Christmas totes in there! Clutter free!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday, August 12th!

Merry.... your son is lucky to have you to declutter his closet. He knows that you will not throw out anything that is really "precious" to him!

I really do NOT want to take on another Month-Long Project.... for a LONG time! Every night.... it feels like I've worked and worked..... and all I can see is "how much there is still left to do!" But..... after a good night's sleep..... I can see that I really DID get a lot done on the day before. Sigh. That keeps me going.... for another day.

I've GOT to get some rewards going. Hopefully... a good movie on TV tonight. And.... I believe another "scouting excursion" this weekend.... to admire Halloween and/or Christmas decorations. (I bought three big, orange, foam pumpkins at the Dollar Store last weekend.... and I am quite happy with them!) Yes.... "rewards" help.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have seven trash bags of clothes that are going to Goodwill today after the cleaning out of our bedroom dresser and chest, mine and DD14's closet, and DD18 cleaning out her closet. YAY! Now if I just won't go in the front of the store while I am there! haha

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I havent been around much Ive been on a mission to get things in order before the kids go back to school. FINALLY got my basement done. Then moved onto my room and closet and my 2 daughters closet and room. Between the 2 rooms ended up pitching 6 trash bags full of clothes, junk and toys.. also did a MAJOR toy box clean out in playroom... with bdays and christmas coming it was time to down size got rid of 5 trash bags of toys. bet my garbage man is loving me... but man that felt good....lol now onto the boys room and the rest of the house.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
SN, I looked at our WM yesterday...no Halloween out yet, but a few fall silk flowers. I bought six stems to re-do a wreath.

Jacki, way to go! Toy decluttering is hardest for me. I have to admit, I probably keep more of them than I should, but when DGS comes, he plays with many of them.

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
August 13, Saturday. A big break from routine today: a trip to Ikea to check out the arrangements they are offering... for housing files. Ikea is so overpowering to me.... that I usually need TWO visits. The first time... to just try to figure out all the different furniture arrangements they offer for the problem I am trying to solve.

After becoming overwhelmed, as we usually are at Ikea, dh and I had a tasty lunch in the Ikea cafe! Now.... MORE of the unending paperwork.... and TV.

Two weeks from tomorrow... we begin the 2011 Christmas Plans. THAT will be a wonderful change for me!Q I am sick of the paperwork decluttering.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Sunday, August 14th! I GAVE MYSELF A GOOD TALKING TO LAST NIGHT...... ABOUT HOW EVERYONE HAS DIFFICULT TIMES.... PLENTY OF THEM! AND.... THIS FILING REVOLUTION IS VERY NECESSARY.... SO I SHOULD "GET TO IT"! Sorry about the all caps.... but it does seem to fit with the "stern talking-to" that I gave myself.

Here is our "controversial topic".... the TV show Hoarders. Well.... it helped me survive the "paperwork decluttering" yesterday. There were a lot of new (or new-to-me) programs (from "Hoarders") on yesterday afternoon/evening. I'll scan the TV schedule for entertainment for today's work-marathon!

Only two weeks until our wonderful 2011 Christmas Plans begin!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You will get this done SN!!! You have come so far!!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Keep up the good work, SparkleNana!

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
THANK YOU AHORSESOUL AND ANNIECLAUS! I do love you guys!

ChristmasRose.... I put "Hoarders TV" into the search engine (google). For me... it comes on Bravo! When you look it up.... you get a weekly schedule.... which tells you when the program will be on!!!!

I had a VERY successful trip to the big Dollar Store. I took some manilla folders (for size) and found nice black plastic baskets (with strong, flat bottoms) that work perfectly! $1 each. AND.... they even fit.... PERFECTLY.... into the book shelves in my office/guest room...... in case I decide to NOT get new filing cabinets.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Hi everyone. Been missing for a bit, crazy weeks of summer, but I'm here and reading. Hope all is well in decluttering land!

Sparkle, I like your dollar store organizning tip! Always great when a new idea works perfectly!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
You're welcome, SparkleNana!

In Az, the Hoarders: Buried Alive comes on TLC.

I saw they are going to be playing episodes this evening.

The other one, Hoarders comes on A&E on Mondays.

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I was watching several episodes of HOrders yesterday, def a encouragement to clean out and makes me thankful that neither I nor a family memeber suffers from that.

SN-you are doing a great job.

I think I will go take 15 min and find something to go through.

Kate 510

Retire Member
Feb 11, 2011
Still working at decluttering. Took a bag of clothes and shoes to Goodwill yesterday. I try to shred papers once a week.

SparkleNana, I too shop the dollar stores for baskets and totes for storage. We have a Dollar Tree here, I love that store!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
3 couch-pillows out the door, 2 plant pots to give away, 1 cat scultpure to give away.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hello Fellow Declutterers!!!!!! Cheers for luludou, Kate 510, piratemamaof3boys, AnnieClaus, MinnieCo.... and everyone else who is in this wonderful Club!!!!!

Today.... I am going to work in our bedroom. There are LOTS of papers in there.... from the various stages of decluttering this month. The files are all BACK in the office/guest room. So.... today I will concentrate on getting the bedroom decluttered.... and even.... cleaned up!!!

I see the programs on HGTV.... for "staging" houses for sale. The bedrooms on the "house of the week"... are full of dressers and small tables and chests... and lots of stuff. To "sell" the house.... the stagers take as much OUT of the bedroom - as possible. Then they paint the bedroom (so it looks fresh).... get new bed-coverings. And get one dramatic but simple and impersonal painting or picture.... for the wall behind the bed.

People coming to visit the "Open House".... always say things like.... "Oh. How spacious and lovely the bedroom looks!" They are saying this about bedrooms with NOTHING in them.... except the bed... and one or two night tables. Do these people ever think..... "Where do you put the dresser and the TV and "stuff"??? I guess not.

And we...... we are just like the people visiting the "open houses". We LOVE the clear, empty bedrooms! So.... WHAT are we supposed to do with our stuff? I guess.... we should get rid of as much of this stuff as possible! And.... NOT bring in "new stuff" unless we really, really need it. (As always.... people with growinjg children.... please ignore this!Q Children just NEED stuff! So.... don't beat yourself up about this! People live a LONG time nowadays.... and you will have decades and decades for decluttering.... when the children are grown!)

Long story short.... today.... it is the bedroom, for me!!!!!!