Gift Closet 2009!! What's hiding in your closet?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I just wrote a long list of the things I have, and when I clicked on the submit button, it ate my post, and said I wasn't signed in! I was! I'm not writing it all out again, but I do want to tell you about a thing I found for my adult son, who is intellectually disabled -- that's the new pc phrase that has replaced everything else on official correspondence, etc., and is a huge improvement over, and much less offensive than the "r" word. Anyway, I found, I think in the Gold Violin catalog, an electronic weather indicator (can't remember the real name), and it has a figure wearing the proper clothing for the weather indicated! You can choose male or female. I can't wait to give it to him! Thought some of you might like that one.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
ChristmasRose - What a great gift for him! DH's little brother is also special needs (that is the term DMIL has always used and I took my cue from her) and it becomes harder to buy gifts for him as he gets older but mentally stays much younger - his interests are not quite held by the toys or items truly meant for younger children anymore.

But most of the things targeting older kids are either too complicated or too hard for him to manipulate - grips, triggers on certain toys, remote control toys, etc are often too hard for him to work with.

I love the gift idea you found! I may just go take a look myself! :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm so excited to report a new flurry of Christmas shopping! All of it online which is super easy for me right now!

I took advantage of the Bath & Body Works Columbus Day sale. They have a selection of items where if you buy 3 you get 3 free. So I ended up with 3 sets of Shower Gel & Lotion for about $13 each after taxes and shipping.

I'll give a couple sets as Christmas gifts and one set will be a thank you gift for a girlfriend helping out alot with my baby shower.

THEN I got on Overstock.com - HEADS UP - FREE shipping right now! - and picked up a set of sheets for DH's little brother. I was happy to find sheets in a fun pattern that will fit his bed - since he has a hospital type bed and needs Twin XL - a size I NEVER see in the stores!

And to finish off my evening last night I got onto Amazon to look for footed PJ's for DH's little brother as well.

I honestly didn't think I would find any big enough for him but I hit the jackpot! :) Lots of choices in cute fabric patterns and the largest size they carried will still fit him - so I got a pair with a dinosaur pattern and one with a space rockets/planets pattern.

They are so cute!

I was very happy to update my Master Gift List last night - let me tell you!

And then today I ordered my Christmas postage stamps - so I feel like I am a'rockin and a'rolling right now - and all without running all over town!

Of course, I still hate paying for shipping - which I did have to do on a couple of those orders - but that is just the way it is, I guess. At least until I get my normal energy back!

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
I just placed an on-line order for the kids laptops, my dh Blu-ray player and some movies to go with it. I picked up some bath toys for my 9mos old nephew and a toy for my neice. All I have left is stocking stuffers for my kids and dh and ordering cookies to be delivered to brother's families(5) and in-laws coffee and candy that they ask for every year! That leaves only my parents to buy for. My mom is easy but my dad.......I have no clue. The best thing is that everything is paid for with cash!!!! Woo Hoo! I am so glad to have this much done. I like to only have stocking stuffers to buy for during the "rush" time in December. I love watching other's frantically searching the stores for their gifts only to know that mine are already bought, paid for and wrapped under the tree! It also gives me time to take my kids out Christmas shopping and only focus on them and what they want to buy for each other, daddy and gp's!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good for you Connimac! Man I'm getting behind with all this Halloween stuff to do before Christmas!

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
I am excited I started shopping this week and have quite a bit done.

For my youngest dd a limited edition ipod from the apple store, in bright red.
For her dh a 4 in 1 player that plays records, cd's, has a turner, and a place for an ipod. He has his father's old albums and nothing to play them on.
For my 2 year old grandson a little tikes truck and a gas station came today. They dumped it on my back deck. It was raining today.
As a combo gift I bought them a set of microfiber sheets.
I still have my granddaughter age 1 to buy for but the big gifts are out of the way and now I will start on smaller things to go with. I love to buy the smaller stuff it's so much fun.

For my oldest dd and her dh a really thick lambs wool blanket.
He wants wrestling dvd series. They are expensive but it is what he wants.
As for my dd if I don't come up with anything she will get the cash difference in whatever I spend on everyone else. I try to spend evenly. She does want one of those hard sided wallets and it is bad luck to give it to her empty.
We are getting there.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Way to go, grandma bucket! Sounds like you got a lot of gifts checked off your list!

I only picked up a few small things this weekend:

Disney Princess PreSchool Age Puzzle
Mickey's Clubhouse PreSchool Age Puzzle

- one each for the twins

and a package of cute hair ties for the twins to share, with brightly colored large beads with little smiley faces painted on them

Stocking stuffers for them! :)

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
well, I picked up some things on Sunday. I got DD 2 shirt and cami combos, a necklace, 6 pair of socks and a tote from Aero, DS 3 shirts and a hat from Aero, and DSD a necklace from Aero. my DSD is self-admittedly picky and doesn't like to get clothes that she doesn't try on herself, so she may be getting a gift card to Aero instead of actual clothes. We bought her clothes last year, and she doesn't wear them, so this would probably be better. It's coming together, slowly, but surely!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Placed a small order on Amazon night before last -

2 sleeveless Russell Athletic shirts for DH (his favorite brand)

and

Goodnight Moon and Other Sleepytime Tales DVD for the twins

All my other items I ordered have come in so I have all those tucked away in the gift closet.

I need to start wrapping pretty soon!!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've made a significant dent this week in the Video Games arena thanks to this week's sales at places like Amazon and Toys R Us and the consistent pricing of Game Stop. Whew! This has been my biggest nail-biter because I tend to over-analyse the games to make sure they are not wrecking my kids brains and not to mention they are expensive. I got DS and DD the Kingdom Hearts DS game (Disney-approved!) and I'm relieved just knowing I won't be scrambling to find it during the holidays when they are all sold out! Also found several stuffers on sale. This year I'm making sure every single one of them is on sale because all those tiny items add up and I'm feeling pretty good about them!

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
Placed a small order on Amazon night before last -

2 sleeveless Russell Athletic shirts for DH (his favorite brand)

and

Goodnight Moon and Other Sleepytime Tales DVD for the twins

All my other items I ordered have come in so I have all those tucked away in the gift closet.

I need to start wrapping pretty soon!!!

Isn't it great to shop on line? I recieved a package today. I am so out of the loop! Goodnight Moon on DVD. That's wonderful, I am going to order it for my grandchildren. My kids just loved that book.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've always loved the book Goodnight Moon and this DVD had good user reviews on Amazon, so I decided to take a chance! :)

This weekend the only thing I picked up for Christmas was another package of cute hair tie things for the twins stockings.

Other than that my purchases were strictly grocery items and a couple of new shirts for me! :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Ordered a Michigan Wolverines sweatshirt for DH this morning - it was a little expensive but I know he will love it!!!

That is his other "big" gift taken care of! Now I just need to get a couple more small things and finish his stocking!

Woo-hoo!

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
I ordered xbox games and WWE DVDs for son in law last night.
Picked up a gift for great grand nephew over the weekend.
I also started on stockings.

cindyloowho

Retire Member
Oct 18, 2009
I am so glad I am not the only one that looks for gifts all year long! LOL

I have a candle (DIL)
a decorative wall plaque (camping club Christmas party)
Playskool Busy Ball Popper (newest grandson)
a handmade oak chairside table for my Dad (a friend made it, its beautiful!)
lots of stocking stuffers for all 3 grandsons

DH and I mostly give the kids cash so we never have alot of shopping to do.
I also have 2 kites that I found on sale for Easter baskets for the grandsons. Thinking ahead ya know.

luvbooks

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
I finally have a few things in my gift closet:

3 Zhu Zhu pets for ds & dd
1 pair clogs for dd
1 throw for ???
Kohls Give a Mouse Books and stuffed animals!
dd stocking stuffers
wii (on layaway at K-Mart)

It's a start!

www.stacyloggins.blogspot.com

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Picked up a long sleeve waffle texture shirt for DH's little brother last night.

Also got a letter from the company I ordered DH's extra special MI Wolverines sweatshirt from - they say they can't fill my order right now! :( They said it should ship in 30 days or MORE!!! AARGH!

I mean, there is still time between now and Christmas, but that was an expensive sweatshirt and I don't want them to end up not sending it in time for Christmas!

I guess I will just have to wait and see. If it is not here in about a month I will have to call the company and raise the roof!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I got a box from amazon yesterday with a set of books I'd ordered for my husband -- Winston Churchill's account of WWII. We also went to Home Depot Sun., and he looked at tools and kept saying he'd like to have this or needed to replace that "one of these days". When my mother asks what to give him for Christmas, I'm going to tell her a gift card for Home Depot! Am in the middle of knitting a scarf for my niece to match a hat I've already finished -- beautiful soft purple wool and mohair blend. I'm taking my mother to the doctor today, so I'll get in some knitting time in the waiting room.

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
Adding to my closet bit by bit every week. This week I went to a tastefully yours party and bought my mil 2 soup mixes and two bread mixes.
Oldest dd a pearl drop pendant.
Youngest dd and her DH a mico fleece sheet set.
I am hoping to get out tonight and add to the pile a pink cozy coupe for my granddaughter (Walmart) and zip up fleece or two for oldest dd that she wants from Old Navy.

I also have 3 birthdays in the next two weeks and I think the gifts are going to be gc and cash, easy enough I just need to buy the cards.