Join me in choosing your "Word" for 2008

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Again, I humbly admit that this is not my original idea.... it is borrowed from another message board. (One day I will have and share a brilliant idea that is all my own- I know I will!)

New Year's resolutions are so difficult for a lot of us. How about instead---- choosing a single WORD at the beginning of the year that you hope will describe your focus, your attitude, hopes, dreams, prayers or theme. Your go to word, your word to meditate on when things seem off. Maybe it is a word that describes something in your life you need to work on but maybe not. Maybe it will be a serious word, maybe a fun word. Look at your new year and sum up the focus you want in one word. Write it down. Say it to yourself over and over. Look up the definition in the dictionary and write it down too. Redefine it for yourself and your life. Your word might come to you instantly or it might need some reflection.

I think I am choosing PATIENCE. I have a new baby coming in a few weeks. I know I will need to live in patience with my 2.5 year old DD, my husband and more importantly myself as we adjust to the addition of our new little babe. I also need patience with myself to address some health and weight issues ( anger certainly hasn't been working!)

What will be your word for 2008?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Oh this is easy for me....SIMPLIFY....

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ooh, great idea! I'll have to think on this and post again when I have a word. :snow:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I think I'll choose 'Moments'. I want to remember to cherish every one of them, make each one a magical memory for myself and my family-even in it's simplicity. I want to live within each moment and not miss all of them on the way to some fanciful destination.
Great idea-btw! TFS! I think I can handle the new year a word at a time!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My "word" for 2008 is ABUNDANCE!!!!

I need to remember and appreciate what I already have instead of thinking that there is something more.

Happy New Year!!

:snowman: Melanie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Just one word?!? I'm not sure I can do that. LOL I asked my DH and he said RELAX. When I think about it, I think ORGANIZATION. I'm going to be a single parent for a year while my husband is in Korea so our whole world is changing. I am starting on a self-improvement journey right now so I guess I will go with my DH and say RELAX. I really need to learn how to take time for myself and take care of me. I always put the kids or whoever before myself and never take time to just sit down and really relax. Even when I do sit down to read a magazine or do whatever, i'm constantly thinking of a million other things I could be doing around the house.

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
I am going to choose the word "home" I love the quote "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS" but the word means many things for me. We deciced that we want to start saving so we can build when we choose to buy a new house. also home means my family and my children and we are always looking on how to maximize our time to have more fun time together. also getting my home organized will help with that!!!!!

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
Although I want to simplify, organize, relax and enjoy the moments, I think the word for me will be PEACE. Of course, the only way I can live in peace is to simplify, organize, relax and enjoy the moments.

Thanks for sharing this great idea pixiesticks.

Happy New Year to all.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Well, I'd already decided that my 2008 theme will be "The Heart of Christmas", which was the title of our church choir's Christmas program this (2007) year. I loved the idea of it, so I adopted it as my 08 theme. So, I guess my word will be "Heart". I want to do everything I do with my whole heart. I want to make sure my heart is healthy-that's why I'm walking 3 miles every day (well....almost every day. Not so much during the holidays). I want my kids to know that they are always in my heart. I want my True Love to know that he is always in my heart. I want my God to know that He is always at the center of my heart...so, yes. My word is "Heart".

Great thread, by the way!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I hope this thread gets a lot of traffic. It is so inspiring to hear what all of you are choosing and why. I'm planning to extend this challenge to my friends tomorrow. It would be nice to see this thread continue to see how it evolves and grows for those of you with your word!

Still thinking on mine. :snow:

My word is ACTION! When I look at my list of resolutions and my list of 'things' I want to do....I have to make an effort to do them. They won't just happen.

I need ACTION!

Exercise....Just Do It!
Play with the Kids....Just Do It!
Outings with the Kids....Just Do It!
Save Money....Just Do It!
Read more....Just Do It!
Yoga....Just Do It!

:happynewyear:

Well I have used several "words" to set up my new year!!!

{ME}-I am devoting to have a little ME in the schedule of activities
{GREAT}-After this past year I look forward to a "great 2008"

BUT ULTIMATELY MY WORD OF CHOICE IS:

{MAGICAL}without all of my wonderful friends here at MHH I am not sure I can make my first two words come together!!! So this is my MAGICAL year!!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love this idea! The first word that came to mind is FAMILY. I have quite the focus on my family life, but want to nourish my marriage as well as our relationships with extended family. (as crazy as it can be!) My husband says my word should be RELAX....lol

:heartsNY:

Lisa

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I've been thinking about it and I think my word for 2008 is ENGAGE.

Like Connie Angela, I want to live life to the fullest and really enjoy 2008. I don't want to put things off. I want to really feel it. I want to get involved and stop putting stuff off. I don't want to be content with talking about doing things that get put off and put off. If I want to do it, it's important. I need to live by that.
I hope that makes sense. :jumpinghearts:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
There's a lot to be said about the words ACTION and ENGAGE....I have been guilty of the same....lot of talk and planning but not really getting it done...

Already picked my word: SIMPLIFY.....but I hope to bring some action to 2008 also!!!

Great thought provoking posts...I'm enjoying reading them!!

So...I just got out some of my scrapbook supplies.

I am going to make little ACTION signs to put all around the house! That way...I am reminded of my word all day and will be making a conscious effort to do the things I want/need to do!