June 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
I totally know what you mean about getting "gifts" for your collection. Some people find really unique perfect cows for me and some people just buy anything because it's a cow and then I have to find a way to get rid of it if I can do it without hurting their feelings. Otheriwise it becomes more clutter that I keep in a closet or a cabinet.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Yep, one year my mom decided I liked cows.. I've got tons of cows now! they are in a closet except for a big one on my counter. I'd like to change them to pigs, but buy only those I really like.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I once asked my niece if she collected anything. She said no but if she did it would be pigs. So, yep, I am now sending her pig things. I hope she knows (you listening cat?) she is welcome to declutter them if she wants but I still might send them. Oh her birthday is this week, best get those pigs I have out of the closet. That counts as decluttering!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I loved my cows, until MIL started to buy me cows for everything, things I did not like. With my mom she knows what I like and if she wouldn't like them she knew I wouldn't. I had quite a few wooden ones from craft shows that I loved but I did save my favorite 2 which still hang in my kitchen.

Today I went thru some clothes and got rid of 3 garbage bags, when I went to pick dd up from her extended day field trip I dropped them off at the church down the road. They have a drop shed for clothes. So now they are gone. Going to go thru more clothes tonight to drop off on my way home from work tomorrow

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Glad to see the declutters carried on without me...May was a complete bust...hope to do better in June but it's not looking so good....lol

You are SOOOO right about collections....i have a ton of tea sets....I bought a few...and then everybody bought some for me...ugh.....I am going to gift some to people but have to figure out which ones....most of my other collections have went by the wayside...

Now I am OPPOSED to collections....lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Ebay is a good way to declutter some things.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Wednesday, June 8th! Shopping and choosing new things is fun! Bringing them into the house is exciting! For me..... things go downhill from there..... because there IS NOT a lot of space to store extra things! Besides..... I ALREADY have so many "things"... that I forget what I have and where it is!!!!! I am looking for more ways to have fun and excitement in my life...... WITHOUT bringing MORE things into my home!

I am ALSO getting A LOT of satisfaction..... out of filling trash bags with clutter/junk.... and then hurling the bags into our nice, big trash can!!!!! The kithen is looking MUCH better.... and there is still A LOT of stuff to get rid of!!!

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm still working on the Scrap Studio (because I took a break making something to package the CIJ Ornaments, was lots of fun). I've shredded several baskets of old files and filed hundreds little items laying around, made a nice pile of some genealogy papers, organized my paints, stamps, embossing items and the gold leaf items. It's really starting to look nice.

Listening to old songs by the Byrds on YouTube to help pass the time.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I have some collectible candle houses from Partylite. I had to have them all and now they are starting to get old. It goes along with me wanting to redecorate and get new things. Kills me to see what I paid for them and how much they are selling for now.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
MinniCo that is one reason I hang on to some things... I paid alot for them!! but I don't really like them anymore.. guess it's time for some changes here too.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Its hard when you know what you paid for things. I came to a conclusion a couple of years ago I DON'T THINK OF WHAT I PAID FOR IT, IF I DON'T WANT IT ANYMORE ITS GONE, it really helped me at least.

Nothing else has left but ds had doctors appointments and dd has had things going on so today more is going

Saturday is our side of the rivers Garage sale day and I think I may put stuff out depending on the weather and how tired I am since I offered to work on Saturday until 8 am, I only work Saturdays on off seasons when kids don't have sports. They were very short handed this weekend because everyone needs it off Makayla is on injured list right now and me going into work 5 hours is giving someone else a chance to have the day off so its ok

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
June 9th. Yesterday.... I CONTINUED working in the kitchen. Decluttering in Baby Steps. The counters FINALLY got cleared off!!!!! It was SO EASY to clean them then!!! And.... it looked SO NICE! This really encourages me to CONTINUE ON..... all through those many days..... when things DO NOT look any different! Because..... EVENTUALLY...... things do look much different! It really does take PATIENCE!

I guess that is why things don't look worse..... when we bring new things INTO the home! (Small steps don't really show.) Really..... every day that we DO NOT bring anything new into the home (except food that we are really going to eat)...... EVERY one of t hose days is a victory for us!

Now... those of you with children....... you must ignore this! Children ALWAYS need new things! That is LIFE!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
MinnieCo-
I bought a kitchen area rug about 6 months ago. I soon as I laid it down, I hated it! I thought it would grow on me but it hasn't. Everytime I look at it, I feel irritated and annoyed but have not wanted to part with it because of the cost.

On Monday I pulled it up to sweep and mop the kitchen and I came to the conclusion that it has to go! I don't care what the cost was, I deserve a rug that makes me happy when I go into my kitchen.

I think of this quote from Oprah, "Our houses are supposed to rise up and meet us when we walk through the door."

It's our escape from the world and needs to be as beautiful, inviting and warm as we can make it.

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hot!!!! Hot!!!! HOT!!!!!! Dangerous heat wave covering most of the USA!

Small jobs today. Lots and lots of small jobs. Making each room look better! The trash and recycling is picked up early on Friday mornings.... so that is a great incentive to get things Out The Door on Thursdays! And..... the LESS there is in a room...... the nicer it looks..... to me! (There certainly IS a point where TOO MUCH has been subtracted...... but that is not something that is likely to happen soon!)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
There certainly IS a point where TOO MUCH has been subtracted......

Should this happen with decluttering, remember it is much easier to add then to subtract....And you can always find something that someone else is decluttering. lol

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Good point, Ahorsesoul!!! June 10th today! Dgs's Graduation at 10:00 in the morning and water aerobics at 1:00.... unless someone wants to go to lunch after Graduation. Then...... paperwork and paperwork decluttering!!!

As people have been saying FOREVER on this board...... when you deal with paperwork daily.... it doesn' pile up so much!!!! AND.... I've discovered that you don't even have to deal with it "perfectly"! Just getting rid of the junk & uninteresting mail.... makes a huge difference! I am a slower learner.... but I DO learn! And.... some of these lessons are really FUN!

Off to do "routine stuff" until we leave.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Saturday June 11th!!! One of my neighbors works for the Red Cross..... and he said today.... that they have "Disaster situations" in TWENTY-EIGHT out of the Fifty states in the USA! OH MY GOSH! He said their big nationwide disaster map shows huge flooded areas in the northern part and huge extreme drought/fire areas in the southern area!!!! PLUS everything else!

I certainly feel "under siege"... wih the record-breaking heat and humidity! I guess that.... people all over the country..... and all over the world.... feel under siege now!!!!!!

HOWEVER..... I am hunkering down, with the curtains closed to keep out the intense sunlight... and the fans added to the (moderate) air conditioning! And.... my TV set on.... and piles of paperwork spread out all around me!!!!!!

Baby steps and baby steps.

Tomorrow.... we will be out of the house..... A LOT!!!!

Today..... survival.... and Baby Steps!!!!

How about you?

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
We decluttered a few things from haveing a garage sale today, and shooting quite a few things in the garbage from the garage. The best part is that it isn't even my stuff thats taking up the garage its my MIL's I have given SIL over a month now to get the stuff out of my garage I told her I was no longer a free storage unit for her if she didn't come and get it I was taking it to the Salvation Army, or trying to sell it. She told me she would come go thru it one more time I gave her two weeks todo so in writing like a judge friend told me todo first I know she got it since I got the paper back where she signed for it. It is all junk anyways I was sellling for a quarter or so a piece. I have 6 bags of clothes ready to go to the drop off tonight as soon as we get the garage and driveway cleaned up.

Now I also went to garage sales this morning and I don't want to say what I brought into the house, I hit a jackpot sale of material today $3.00 a bin full I bought 3 I am washing it then will go thru it. Lots and lots of retro material that I am loving. Plus Makayla found some bakeing pans she decided she couldn't live without. A mirror, a picture frame, schells Makayla couldn't live without either but we have a plan that we are going to work on tonight also.