May Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
KimD - hang in there
Colleen - wow.. it really must feel like a new kitchen! and I'm sure it'll help alot of people. You are doing a GREAT job!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Well today we declutter the psyhco neighbor. Little bit quieter here tonight, now if my next door neighbors would leave it would be great. They like to come outside at night after Im in bed and run 4 wheelers until the middle of the night and thier kids like to make lots of noise. I think that I just need to move back to the country where I don't have to worry about people being so close to me, a ton of kids around and people walking right infront of my front door like they can.

Took Kenny to see his friend tonight with others and the boys had him up and walking around with help but he did it. It was the first time since his surgery. You don't know how great it was to see that he could still walk and that his brain remembers how todo it. Lots of happy tears from his mom, him and the boys, it makes me happy that these 13yr old boys can cry around each other in sadness and happiness. Also that the 7 of them are as close as they are that they can help each other no matter what

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Saturday, May 28th!!!! Memorial Day Weekend has begun!!!!!!

Dh and I have planned... a WONDERFUL weekend..... at home! Dh is recovering from his summer cold/flu/thing! I am recovering from two days of helping take care of the three grandsons (the "killer" is the 2-year old!) So.... we are planning Rest and Rejuenation!!!! AND..... high on my list of "Rejuvenation Activities".... is decluttering! Decluttering leaves me feeling better!!!!

So.... four more days left in May, 2011! Will you do any decluttering this weekend?

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I had a yard sale tody. Not sure how much I took out of the main living spaces howeve I did empty out 1/2 the attic. I have one small box to bring back in and DH is running the rest to good will. IT feels good to have so much gone!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
That was HUGE, Piratemamaof3boys! Clearing so much stuff out of the attic is wonderful!!!!! And.... donating what didn't sell is the best!!!!!

For me...... nothing. Nada. NO decluttering today. Well...... Memorial Day weekend is YOUNG! Tomorrow is another day.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Shannon, good work!!! The town wide sale is in Ashley next week and I know mom and my younger sister will have stuff. Hoping to get thru some stuff to put in and the rest will go to Goodwill. Will let sis (Jaymee) look first, then sale, Goodwill.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
Wow Piratemamaof3boys, what an accomplishment!! I've been able to declutter small areas in the house this weekend. DS has come home from college and has been decluttering his things. Several bags went out the door into the trash and a bag was left for goodwill. DH has promised to declutter the garage with my help, but this weekend was way too hot. I still need to go through my winter/fall clothes. I guess that will have to be for next month.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Peter Walsh has a new program on the Oprah TV Network (on cable). I don't know the name of it. I am not a big fan of Peter Walsh...... HOWEVER....... this new show is MUCH MORE HELPFUL!!!!!!

The old shows, with Peter Walsh, had huge crews doing most of the work.... for the happy family.

This show.... still relies on big crews. HOWEVER.... the "family" does important work in this series.

The family picks some cluttered, really BAD rooms..... and the huge crew empties everything outside onto tables.

Then... Peter Walsh gives the family "deadlines" for decluttering. (For example.... "You need to get rid of 85% of the stuff from this room... to meet your goal..... of a "relaxing master bedroom". You have two hours... to get what you will keep into FOUR bins." Much complaining from the family..... but Peter Walsh "forces" them to seriously declutter. (Note: this is a "real life" process which will take US..... a very long time. But.... Peter's show "compresses" this very long time..... into one program. VERY informative!)

Then... everything of the stuff left over... gets loaded up by the big crew..... and taken away.

The "family" gets sent to a hotel to rest. Peter and his big crew..... paint the room.... bring in the "15% of the stuff".... which has been kept.... and add some more lamps, new linens, decorative pieces, etc....... and create beautiful rooms..... which DO fit the family's "goals" for their rooms. For example.... a room stuffed to the ceiling with "stuff".... and the family wants a "relaxing master bedroom". In this one program..... Peter FORCES the family to get rid of 85% of the stuff.... then takes their basic furniture... and adds wonderful painting/decorating.... while the family goes to a hotel to rest. At the end of the program.... WE (the viewers)... AND the family.... see what can ACTUALLY BE DONE.... by getting rid of TOO MUCH STUFF!!!

Peter Walsh begins each show by saying "200 million Americans live with TOO MUCH STUFF.... which is choking them and ruining their happiness and peace!" 200 million Americans is a HUGE number! Since..... there are about 310 million people in America!

I don't know where Peter Walsh got this number..... or what it means...... EXCEPT that MOST of us Americans have TOO MUCH STUFF! It is kind of comforting....... as long as we DO begin to declutter! I mean..... it is kind of comforting to know that there are LOTS of us who have "too much stuff"..... so we do NOT have to beat ourselves up! We just need to begin to get rid of the extra stuff!

Last edited:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Good stuff Sparklenana. I don't know if we g can see that program. When does it come on?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi girlsinmo! Do you get the Oprah TV Channel.... which she created within the last year? It is callled "OWN" here. The Peter Walsh show was on at around noon - 2:eek:o East Coast Time in the USA. You can look up the Oprh network "OWN" on the net. Sometimes.... entire programs are on the web.

Do you have any special "decluttering" programs in your country? Or get any from England?

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I don't think we get the Oprah channel Sparklenana but I will check to see what I can see online. BTW we have wild rabbits who live in our neighborhood. I tried to grow a garden last year but the rabbits are the only ones who feasted on the vegetables lol

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I am finally getting the upstairs bathroom done today about 1/4 of the way thru it. three garbage bags of stuff to the garbage. everything that was under the sink just went, we haven't used it so off it went. Shower curtain gone I went to paint the shelves behind the toilet but it had rusted a leg off so that is now gone I am waiting for the last coat of paint on the cabinet to dry so I can start the side. Now back to the bathroom

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Girlsinmo..... even though I typed your name correctly...... "mentally".... I turned you into one of our precious members from Australia! It's all good! The WEB is world-wide!!!

5/31/11..... the final day of May. For some unknown reason..... my goal in May was to get one big trash bag OutTheDoor every day. If I succeed today.... I will crawl through the finish line. For me.... this system worked really well! It involved constantly going back to look at the same piles of cluter..... and it seemed that.... I was willing to part with more and more things..... day by day!

So this is something else to add to our Bag Of Tricks!!!! Hurray for us!!!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm going to sneak in an entry for May! :)

Over the past couple of weeks I have been able to make a nice dent in the totes full of clothes in our basement storage area!

4 totes of maternity clothes went to a friend with a similar build to mine who is now expecting

Several totes of baby clothes that DS has outgrown went to a family DH works with - baby #7 is on the way - he was unexpected and all of their baby things have been worn out! I can only imagine!

So that was nice! I love passing things on like that - so much of those things were given to us - I am glad to pay it forward!

Now on to June and other opportunities to de-clutter!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Going to change out of work clothes and finish up that bathroom that is my goal for today.