May Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Farmermom, I'll be joining you in the office shortly.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
So glad you could join me ahorsesoul! LOl I got it cleaned!!!! Windows washed, curtains washed and hung back up. Paperwork filed, bills paid, and stuff ready for me to go to the farmers market on Saturday. Eventually I need to clean out my files, but not this go around, baking for market today, and going to a college graduation tomorrow.
A full garbage bag made it to the porch yesterday, woo hoo!!!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi everybody! It's Thursday Night!!! IN MY MIND..... the weekend starts now!!!!!

armermomof....... WOO HOO!!!! HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT FOR YOU!!!!!! ESPECIALLY>>>> SINCE YOU DO SO MANY THINGS SIDES DECLUTTERING!!!! For Goodness Sakes.... CELEBRATE! I am going to cvelebrate YOUR accomplishments!

Somehow..... two neighbor ladies appeared.... and wine and food appeared..... and we sat in the shady corner of my front yard....... where all the garden furniture is.... and wine appeared! And food! And..... the children got lemonade and pretzels and went inside to watch TV. AND... the wonderful, magical, relaxed time of summer outside BEGAN!!!!! Friends sitting together.... admiring the trees and the flowers and loving their time together!

So.... YES! decluttering hapened. And from now on.... it had better happen in the morning! Because fun, magicl times may happen later in the day!!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
SparkleNana....sounds like the perfect afternoon!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am not making GREAT progress, but I have made SOME! Mostly in the office at work (I have gotten rid of another sack of old papers for shredding, while keeping the current paperwork to a minimum be sending things for shredding as I finish with them rather than letting them build up).

But I have also removed 1 small stack of papers in the living room (about 6" high). And removed a small bag of things from the home office. And considering the chaos that is our lives this month, I am pleased with that. (The au pair has arrived, DH has departed, and I have so far kept everything from falling apart around me).

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
WEEK THREE SUMMER HOLIDAY GRAND PLAN: THE FOYER AND CLOSETS

May 16th. Week 3. Of course.... you can pick your own "room" for the week. I think I will stick with the foyer and closets. My "foyer" is pretty small. And... the front coat closet is usually a disaster. So... there will be A LOT of reward for acting on that area!!! And... still leave some time for gardening and real life stuff!

Have you made a plan for this week?

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going to work in the living room this week. So as far as decluttering goes, I'll put these on my list.

Go through albums and get rid of those I have no interest in. (They are family albums from my mom and grandpa. I love the big band music and the Christmas music of course, but don't have any interest in the 70's stuff my mom had in there.)

Go through CD drawers, organize and purge.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Here's an update for how the Summer HGP is going for me. Week 1... I did the Front Porch (also Back Poch). Week 2... the Living Room. i did NOT get a huge amount of stuff done. But I DID get SOME stuff done each week!

My First Priority,... is gardening (before it gets too hot to do much outside... except water new plants and sit in the shade.) Gardening is really on my mind... in May.

The Second Priority is Real Life... and everything that entails! (Work, routines, graduation parties, illnesses, family & friends events, etc. etc.)

The Third Priority is the Summer HGP. I think that it is BEAUTIFULLY designed.... allowing us to switch around rooms.... and giving us "make-up weeks". It is really helpful to me... rather than being a burden! I also make it very easy on myself... with VERY modest goals! Also... I have been through this a number of times.... and it really does get easier each time.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I picked up a new shredder so I've been going to town on old paper work. Getting it out of the house sure helps things look nicer.

It it so nice to hear of the strides everyone is making. Remember every tiny bit of clutter removed from the house helps. One piece a day adds up to 364 (everyone should get their Birthday off).

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
2nd week and counting at my friends house as well. So much trash and stuff set aside for the garage sale, i couldn't keep track this time. Don't get me wrong, things are still a mess, but just after doing this for maybe 4 days in two weeks, he finds himself happier. He's opening his windows to get more light in and opening windows. He told me he was sitting out on the porch eating ice cream with the neighbor kids. It really does lighten your spirit in general to declutter. I think that's why I enjoy the process so much. His mom's in the care center and every time i"m over, she calls and thanks me for doing what I'm doing. They have a goal set for her to come home from rehab on the 30th. I'm hoping to have so much more done by then. I hope she doesn't fall over from a heart attack when she walks in her own house. ;)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Michelle,
I am so glad to hear the job is going so well and it is rewarding.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi Everybody! Can you believe that it is May 17th???????

My first real project today.... is to get a big trash bag, a broom and dustpan.... and go to work on the front hall closet! (My project area for Week 3 of the Summer HGP!) Then..... I'll continue to fill that bag with clutter as I move around the house!

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
Someone recently mentioned that every time they look at an area they've already cleaned, they find more stuff to let go of. I'm finding this to be so true for me too. Yesterday, I got rid of 2 beach towels, 2 curtains, a tablecloth and some sheets and I had already cleaned out the linen closet. I also made some progress in the basement. I'm hoping this weekend my husband and I can finish that project. His areas are all that's left and they are the worst part. I also noticed that some plants/bushes didn't make it through this Winter so I'm going to have to do some yard decluttering.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Absolutely I agree with that. Each go around I find more and more. I try to do that 2x a year while I'm doing the HGP.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Well I hope that no one minds if I join you. I am decluttering my life I might as well declutter my house. As of yesturday my H moved out. Which was a blessing, but did not take nothing with him, left everything except the clothes on his back and his wallet. Not the garage full of his mother's junk that his sister decided we needed to get rid of so she didn't have to pay storage for it anymore for thier mother will never be able to leave a nursing home.

I have decided that as soon as this last carton of ciggerettes are gone I am decluttering them out of my life.

My house is full of what I have became to think of is junk. I have a daughter that will be in college in two years I think it is time to get her baby clothes out of my house last time any of them were worn was when my almost 12yr old was a baby which I still have her baby clothes the boys too. Within the next couple of months they will be all gone. With the exception of the outfits they came home from the hospital in and the quilts my grandmother made them when they were babies.

We just finished dinner and garbage goes out tonight so I think it just maybe time to start the kitchen good place to start I think.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
KimD, My thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of decluttering your life and house. Putting your efforts on your house will pay off by working off the stress. We are here for you if you need to vent, scream or cry.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
KimD...... I join Ahorsesoul..... in saying that our thoughts and prayers will be with you! AND.... may I put in a good word for going to the drug store and talking to the pharmacist about over-the-counter aids to stopping smoking? I read an article that giving up cigarettes is harder than giving up heroin! Nicotine withdrawal is agonizing!

Decluttering your home is a wonderful gift to yourself! And this is a great thread.... for support and encouragement!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
KimD we will be here to support you - you can be sure of that. Why don't you join us on the daily thread (whenever you can manage it)? we support each other over there no matter what.. if you want to talk about anything... be it your children, kicking the cigarette, kicking things out the garage, ....

(hugs)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have decided that as soon as this last carton of cigarettes are gone I am decluttering them out of my life.

My DH attempted to stop many timein the 40 years he smoked. Finally he went on Chantix. He stopped without any problems within just 6 weeks. It's been 5 years now. His mood improved so much when taking it I wish he could take Chantix daily for life. lol