September 2011 Declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
With the various cleaning & Christmas plans going on I don't know if this thread will be used much but decluttering is an ongoing battle!

Brought 2 books + 1 magazine to 'pass on' in the coffee room at work.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
YES IT IS AN ONGOING BATTLE, luludou!!!!

Getting things cleaned and decorated and supplies in... those are all really important! But they are NOT decluttering! You CAN get ready for Christmas... or for any holiday... or party.... without declutering. Decluttering is a special thing that DOES deserve its own, year-long Club!!!

I don't know HOW much I will get done in September... but every little bit helps!

Last edited:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Once I clean an area out at HGP, the mess has to go! Way too much stuff in this house with no purpose.

Off the porch went a broken bench, a bent feeder that cannot be repaired, and... the front porch is Friday!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I'll be using this forum all throughout the end of the year...you're right it IS an ongoing battle!! I don't want to think about bringing boxes of decorations into this house until I have gotten rid of tons more stuff!! I hope the Declutter Club continues forever and ever and ever! lol!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Septemeber 1st!!!!! AND... today (this morning, anyway)... I am going to be decluttering OUTSIDE! The Hurricane DID go through. And... Week I of the Holiday Grand Plan is... the Front Porch. Which I don't really have... it is actually a "stoop"! But... I have a back porch/deck that is a BIG mess. And the front yard/garden grew into a big jungle during our 100-degree summer!!!!!!

AND... it is a beautiful morning and I WANT to be outside, anyway!

Today IS the day we bring trash/recycling out to the curb.... and that is ALWAYS an incentive for me to get stuff Out The Door!!! (So... I'm hoping to get stuff done inside... tonight!) However.... remember Real Life? Well, dh and I are taking dgs#2 to the orthodontist after school today. You know how you can wait FOREVER in a dentist/doctor's office???? And THEN.. who knows what will happen when we return him home? It is an "ice cream social night" at dgs#1's school tonight. And... dd may ask us to take care of little dgs3... who at two-years-old.... may NOT help create the "cool, sophisticated impression"... that all 6th graders want their families to create! So... things are up in the air.... which is fine. That IS real life!

Snowey

Premiere Member
I am de cluttering and tossing and donating to good will. Clothes, houshold things etc. I am tired of having things in my closet that I never use.
It is something that I have to do when DH is not around as he always has to double check what I want to get rid of,, what a pain ....LOL

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I will most likely be going through another box or 2 today, hoping to find some things to let go of.

I have a question. I know I have a couple of Polly Pocket sets (pretty big), that have lots of pieces and has to be put together. How do I give that away if I don't really know what's there? Should I put it together to make sure all the pieces are there and then take it all apart? I'm not even sure whats in there or if I have directions. Yikes!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Christmaslvr - Put it in a giant zip lock bag and give it away like that. The new owners can figure it out.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Nancy - my DH is the same way. I got a big bag of garbage together today because he is not home!

Shredded a lot of stuff and emptied the shredder. Tossed some old stuff from the fridge. Off to a good start:)

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Nancy - my DH is the same way. I got a big bag of garbage together today because he is not home!

Shredded a lot of stuff and emptied the shredder. Tossed some old stuff from the fridge. Off to a good start:)

Debbie, that's a great start!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to shred!! I will do that today. Getting those lunch bags and some things to another friend to the Post Office today...yay more stuff out the door. I think I'll bring in the box with the Polly Pocket stuff in it and bag it up, and get what I have to GoodWill tomorrow!

Great job everyone!!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
My sewing room decrapification will have to go on the back burner for a month. We leave in our motor home for Yellowstone next week! I uncovered my little Featherweight this AM so I could do a little sewing for the trip -- for the RV, not for me! I still have hopes that I may become reacquainted with my Bernina by Christmas!! Right now it's buried under a huge pile of clothes that need to be altered -- the result of closet decrapification last year! It has been so hot this summer, I may lie down and roll in the first snow I see!

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I was able to go through and finish decluttering my clothes in my master closet. What a relief! I still have my son's boxes of sorted clutter from his room sitting in my garage. We were hit my Irene and a lot had to be put on hold. At least that's his excuse!! I'm sure it all needs to go out on the curb and goodwill. I don't mind decluttering and sorting what I think needs to be kept, but when it come to the final throw out or donation, that person has to do the final toss!! I would like him to do it today since I'm sure there are people in our area that lost everything and could use them. DH started to declutter part of the laundryroom and put up some extra shelving. A nice surprise! Only problem is I'm afraid we now have a new place to store clutter lol!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Isn't it wonderful that so many people are posting in our September Decluttering Club! We are all moving forward.... at our own pace! Hurray for us!

Today... I'll grab a big black trash bag... and go around the house.... tossing in whatever "looks like clutter" to me today! I haven't done that for a while!

Plus... "decluttering outside" continues (mostly overgrown vines and weeds). And... the "paperwork decluttering" is a project for this afternoon. For those of you that can stand to watch it.... "Hoarders" is on this afternoon. I forget which channel... you just look it up on Google (put in Hoarders).

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Today, Ok this weekend, I will find some time to finish the craft area. That was part of my goal for the week. Also I had stuff from when I redid the kitchen that I was going to put into the yard sale. But the vets will be coming by in 2 wks so I am looking for things to give them. don't feel like making another yard sale pile now.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm planning some time for organizing/decrapifying tomorrow and Monday!

Praise ye for 3 day weekends!!!!!

Annie

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Once again August was a bust for me too much going on to get anything done. Not that September will be any easier but at least now its just cheer and football I have to worry about. Football not so much since my son is playing Jr. High and the school is right across the fence in our backyard. DD is a little different I have to take her to her school for practice three nights a week. Games two days week. But I am going to make this work in decluttering this house. I want it completely decluttered by Thanksgiving so I must work on it.

Tonight I am working on the kitchen. I have already shot out two garbage bags of stuff and only have been in there a half hour. Some canisters I don't use, two cutting boards I don't use are gone and my now broken coffee pot is gone.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Merry, glad all is well with you after Irene.

Today tossed 1 used bed sheet, gave the neighbor 1 indoor plant, tossed some old batteries (will bring them to recycling at work) and 1 broken water glass

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I also threw away 2 old, lunch boxes from last year that have seen better life times.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
We took care of the front porch just before Irene hit us so that is done. I started working in my sewing and craft closet. I wanted to get a start on some sewing but it was a mess in there. DH put up some nice shelves for me so I could be organized and things got out of hand during the busy summer with lot's of company coming and reunions going on. So, now I have time to take care of it. Right now, I'm going through all of my CDs. I started on them yesterday. It will take time because some are home made and I'm not sure what is on them or if they skip so I have to listen to them also. That is my decluttering job today

Dorene

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
One dvd remote control in the garbage (dvd machine has been thrown away some time ago).