What Are The Stores Like Near You?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
My husband and I went out for an errand this morning, and we parked in a big mall. We went in to Neiman Marcus to get the ticket stamped for 2 hours of free parking. The store looked like a movie set. The lights were on - but there was not one human visible on the first floor. No customers, no employees. Luckily, they leave the parking stamp on the first counter.

Coming back, we went through Fillenes' Basement. This store has been here for over ten years, and I always cut through it. Sometimes I shop in it, too. Well today - my husband and I were flabergasted!!! There was TWICE as much merchandise crammed into the store as we had ever seen before. We couldn't figure out a way to get through the display racks to get to the other side of the store. I know that Filenes' Basement sells stuff that hasn't sold in regular stores. But we had never seen anything like this. BUT -- the prices were as high as they normally are at the basement. Marked down from the original price, as always, but no great bargains. There were people looking at things, but nobody buying at the cash registers.

Anything unusual going on at stores near you?

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I noticed yesterday at the Super Walmart, there really was not alot of customers for a late Friday afternoon. Usually when I go there I stand in line for a while to check out but this time...no one was ahead of me. Hmm??
But today, we went to the IParty store and at 10:30 it was already filled with people buying costume items. We had to get some things for Ds's vampire costume. I noticed they have Christmas baking supplies on display now.

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
I don't get to shop much (between working 60 hours a week because of the economy and football games), but I know more people are being careful with their $. I do work part-time at a store, and it doesn't seem like people are buying willy-nilly. They are usually working the sales or just buying 1 or 2 things.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I went to Ikea for the first time this morning! It was crammed with people and the lines were long, so long that people were just saying forget it and leaving, saying it wasnt worth the the wait. :batty: I liked Ikea, it is sensation overload, and we had lunch there, i enjoyed the swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes.

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
The closest mall to me is 30 miles away and it's not a very good one. I know for myself we have to cut down this Christmas and I figure others will too. It seems like the restaurants aren't as busy as before too.

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
I went to a huge craft fair today. They have it every fall. One of my neighbors has a booth there every year. She said no one was buying.

I went into Westlake Hardware store. There was no one in there, either.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I just heard a local news report that stores are expecting "the worst Christmas shopping season in twenty years".

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Last weekend or the weekend before I went to Old Navy because they were having a huge sale. It seemed that alot of other stores were having huge sales as well. Today I noticed that our Walmart has started putting out their Christmas stuff.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Went to JC Penney this AM and asked the sales person how things were going. He said that it is picking up a bit and and people seem to be doing their shopping earlier. This is LI/NY.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Not much different than any other time of year around here. Some places had Columbus Day sales, most are starting to put Christmas stuff out.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I was at Walmart Sunday, and it was the first time, in this branch, that I didn't have to wait in line. Cashiers were just standing around. VERY unusual for a Walmart.

The mall is not very busy, at least the few times I drive by. You know the store that is the busiest in our area? Dollar Tree; that's how it seems to me. There are always a bunch of people in there lately, and it doesn't seem to matter which day or evening, either!! People are just leary of spending money.

I'm glad that I did my shopping and got it all done. When people are running around like chickens with their heads cut off in the cold and wind and snow, I'll be in my cozy little apartment, wrapping away, drinking hot chocolate, watching Christmas movies or making goodies. (Wish I had a fireplace in that picture. :rotflol: )

Right now, I know that my loved ones will get things for Christmas, and we will be together. THAT is the most important thing.

:bigsnow:

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Noticed this post from 11 months ago & I was wondering how things are now at the stores you shop in? Have stores closed in your area? Are there new ones opening in their place?

I have a tough time judging how well the stores are doing since I shop during off times or just missed the rush according to the cashier. I did go into the city to the mall on Labor Day. Yankee Candle was having a great sale & was quite busy. I did notice several other shoppers using coupons. Sale + coupon seems a little unusual for YC... previous coupons have stated CAN NOT be combine w/other discounts. Wonder if this is a new thing (allowing coupons on sale items)? Even w/the sale & coupon, I spent very little. The prices were good & I tend to buy extras, but decided to only buy items when I know who I'll give them to. I didn't notice anyone leaving w/more than 1 bag. The only other store that I've noticed as being busy, was Marshalls over a month ago. I go in there pretty often & this was the only time I noticed more shoppers.

We had several stores close. However, new shopping centers are being built in the larger towns. There are many vacant store fronts & they're building more. Its a little confusing, but I'd say things are off quite a bit still.

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
I am glad we are re-visiting this thread! I would like to know what projections are for this season.

I have to say that when I was up north in MN this summer, by July, all of their summer things were on super clearance in the department stores. We live in TX, so I bought my boys bact to school clothes. They both got lots of new clothes that are all namebrand and I spent about $150...like fill their drawers lots for that price!

Where we live, there are lots of neighborhoods and only one Target and Walmart in close proximity so they are always busy...like weekends in Walmart are almost overwhelming but I'm a teacher and HATE going anywhere during the week! I probably just need to go out earlier on Saturday mornings...sometimes I just face it and go later Friday evenings

I haven't been to the mall much myself, so I wouldn't even know how they are fairing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
There does not seem to be any difference here. I went to the mall on thursday and it just seemed to be as usual. There are no signs of anything Christmassy just yet but father's day was just last weekend here and they usually wait until after that to start getting the christmas things out. I know that I am being a bit more careful with money though.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Our local Wal-Mart seems to be low on everything - empty shelves, out of common items. Everyone is commenting about the lack of merchandise in the store. And I haven't seen any Halloween/fall or Christmas merchandise at all yet.
Our nearest mall is 50 miles away. I haven't really shopped there since mid-August so I'm not sure how things are there.

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
The stores and restaurants are all really empty of paying customers. I live in Northern Virginia and we are somewhat recession proof thanks to our close proximity to D.C. but even with this people are not spending money. People are really holding on to their money until they HAVE to spend it. I am the same way. I used to love going to shopping but now it is a chore. I have no "fun" money to spend and have to stick to my budget. I go in and get what I NEED and no more.

I am kind of glad that people are taking greater stock in what they need vs what they want. It makes everyone more appreciative of their many blessings and less envious of what they don't have.

I think this will be one of our best Christmas's even though we will be spending much less than in years past. The kids are much more appreciative too of what they get because they get way less then they are used too!!

Just my honest opinion!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Conniemac --- I agree with you. I think everyone I know IS being much more appreciative .... AND spending MUCh less!

A Starbucks in a VERY yuppy area -- CLOSED recently! The only thing unusual about it is that parking nearby is extremely difficult! And it was situated i an area with very few businesses and no apartment buildings. But still! Starbucks closing??????

Also -- a new Whole Foods store was supposed to open in our area. The manager of the Whole Foods we go to... said that ALL new Whole Foods stores.... all over the country... were put on a ONE YEAR HOLD.

I have noticed many fewer shoppers everywhere. And I have read that retailers are ordering very few things for Christmas 2009.

There is SOME thought that stores will be so bare by spring of 2010 that retailers will HAVE to start ordering from suppliers. Either that.... or go out of business, I guess.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
SparkleNana, we also had a Starbucks close in our town as well. We were all shocked. I think what you say about retailers not ordering so much is true. Fathers day was last weekend in Australia and I found it hard to find things. Our K Mart usually has tonnes of stuff that I buy for Fathers day and put a few things away for DH for Christmas, but there was not much around this year. I wonder if Christmas merchandise will be the same?