What Are The Stores Like Near You?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I noticed that IKEA had their decorations etc out last week. It was reasonably busy given it was a mid-week day.

DH noticed (he brought DD to the mall on Saturday as both had things they needed and I was doing housework) that there were very few things out on display yet (although a few small displays of Christmas decorations etc were in slightly hidden areas). Plenty of space cleared for Christmas displays to be put in this week though. And while there were lots of teenage girls walking around, there was not much shopping being done.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Our stores have been putting things out as i bought a few more things and i talked to another person there and she was doing the same,the store looked nice and our dollar stores have alot of christmas stuff.:snow::frosty:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just went to a few places locally today.

Michael's is rapidly putting out it's Christmas stuff and selling off the all Halloween decorations. AC Moore is a little behind them.

What really surprised me, though, was how busy everything was - the traffic - the stores. I commented to one person that it was almost like Black Friday and she nodded.

Guess that's good for the economy:)

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Forgot to mention we went outlet shopping 2 weeks ago. A few stores had 2, maybe 3 other shoppers in them while we browsed. Many had no one else in them or just 1 other shopper. It was mid-week, but still. DH even commented that business really needed to pick up for them to stay open. We did purchase several birthday presents for this month & I splurged on a few items. Honestly, we thought the prices were on the high side & felt we could get better deals at our favorite stores in the city. Few signs of the upcoming holidays, but maybe that normal for the outlets the 1st of October. I'd like to go back before Thanksgiving & do a little Christmas shopping since I find several good deals last year. Hoping closer to the holidays, they'll have great deals again.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is Thursday afternoon --- and I have a report from the stores for you today!

First -- I went to one of the "dollar stores" that I enjoy. It had ben taken over by new management -- and had tons more stuff crowded in -- and everything was cheap and awful. AND the prices had been raised from $1.00 to $1.29. I won't go back to that one again.

Next door was Michael's. The Halloween buys there were NOT great. But -- I did find a number of buys that were OK. A very few things were 50% off. Some were 25% off. I think they will do more markdowns between now and Christmas.

There were A LOT of people shopping in Michael's this morning. They had to open a third cash register. And a lot of people were buying a lot.

There were already a whole lot of Christmas things out. I looked at some -- and just got overwhelmed pretty quickly. (Remember - I was shopping to fill up the Halloween gift box.)

I saw one woman just gliding through the Christmas aisles - with a smile on her face. She looked like a Christmas-lover - who was just treating herself to a wonderful morning of "looking". I envied her! I could imagine that she is a member of MHH!

Then I went to K-Mart. There were quite a few people shopping - AND buying things at K-Mart. I found a couple of cute Halloween things for half price. There main Halloween thing seemed to be costumes. The entire area that is normally given over to "Christmas stuff" was filled with costumes for kids and adults. They were 33% off. They had a really big selection!

I did not notice any Christmas things put out at K-Mart. EXCEPT -- in the children's department -- they had "holiday dresses" - which were pretty and festive!

But the adult women's section was absolutely loaded with clothes. I saw a few small signs in black and white saying - holiday wear" or something. These adult clothes on display were very very restrained. Mostly black or dark colors. No glitz!

Finally -- I went through the Dunkin' Donuts drive-through on the way home. I got a $1 (small) pumpkin latte! It was DELICIOUS! When I got about 3/4 done -- I could really taste the sweet syrup -- those things must have a zillion calories. But - so good!

masslass

Retire Member
Nov 10, 2008
Massachusetts, USA
I've noticed very little Christmas stuff out so far, though I'm not complaining - as much as I love the Christmas season, it's just a wee bit too early for me personally to have it out in September!

Other than craft stores, I've only seen trees/lights, etc. out in Home Depot.

And as others have said, not quite as much Halloween stuff out this year, though our local Target seemed to have the usual Halloween amount.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This afternoon, I saw "outdoor decorating" on one of our "shopping blocks". At each end of the street (on one side of the street) there was a huge artificial tree. Maybe thirty feet tall? And really nicely decorated. With the huge ornaments they use for really big trees in public spaces. The decorations were in various colors -- and some were gold. Both trees looked very classy. One big store -- on the corner -- had also put pine roping (artificial) with Christmas lights -- around the second floor windows. (It is a Barnes & Noble store.) None of the passer-bys seemed to be upset that the decorations were going up before Halloween.

Oh -- Barnes & Noble had two big tables full of Christmas cards -- right where you line up to pay. And, I believe they had 30% off signs for the tables already.

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
While I was out yesterday, I noticed most stores have shelves filled with Christmas goodies & winter items! YC had there holiday scents on display at the front of the store, but gift sets where at the back. Usually those are right up front? B&BW had most holiday items in the middle of the store & several items were sold out. The sales person helping me mentioned Monday (11/2) as the start of their Holiday season. B&N had holiday cards already discounted 30% like SparkleNana mentioned. They also had some holiday bargain books displayed. They still have Halloween books where the Christmas & winter items will be very soon!

I'm getting excited just thinking about all the pretty displays! Target had started to put out their Christmas lights at the back of the Halloween stuff. Marshalls had so many Christmas decorations & goodies (almost as much as last year). The stores weren't crowded until after 5 pm or so. Now is definitely a good time to get that holiday shopping done. However, my sister was out the other weekend & said the traffic & stores where so crowded, like right before Christmas.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I work at Kohls and noticed last week when I was there that a few of their signs (outside in the window) were Christmas themed. Of course we have had the Christmas section up for a month now in the "seasonal" section. All the isles are full of the Christmas gift ideas stuff.

Seems that regardless of the time of day there is always a line at our Target. At one location they are consolidating their halloween more than the other. I am seeing a lot of it moved to the endcaps getting ready for markdowns on Sat night.

As a PP said Michaels halloween is 30%-50% off right now and moved to a middle isle and Christmas has taken over where Halloween was.

Walmart's garden section is slowly growing it's Christmas stuff

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to our Mall recently and it is starting to look a bit more like Christmas. Because we don't have Halloween here, the Mall is decorated with the large Christmas tree in the central part of the mall and there are hanging decorations scattered throughout the place. Many stores have their Christmas items in although I am not thrilled with a lot of it. It mostly looks like cheap stuff and I have not been tempted to buy any of it.
The supermarkets have stocked their packaged Christmas type foods.
The Malls have been fairly busy and if I am organized enough I should be finished shopping by the end of November and should be able to avoid the pre Christmas rush.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Today..I enjoyed a peaceful few minutes wandering around our Walmart Christmas section.
I bought some Christmas mini lights because I put them inside my windows and I prefer doing this when I put the plastic on the windows to seal them up from winter drafts. Closer to Christmas I plug them into a power strip and they stay up until spring when the plastic comes off. They are behind the curtains so not seen.

Back to Walmart:
There were aisles of ornaments and cards, and candles. Woo-Hoo! All the wonderful things!
It smelled so good too and I had alot of fun checking out the goodies.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
yeah the Wal*Mart Christmas section smells like those scented pine cones. Strong but so good

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Our wal-mart has a beautiful christmas section and so does our lowes alot of wonderful things as i have bought some.:stocking:::eek:rnament::sleigh:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
The Penn Station Kmart had all it's Xmas stuff out and AC Moore, the craft store, was opening box after box of holiday stuff when I was there Thursday.

The mall has most of it's decorations out and JC Penney is fully decorated too. I'll check out more of the mall and local stores when DH is away next week:)

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I'm finding stores not very well-stocked -- grocery and department stores. There aren't as many shoppers as I would expect now, either, and clerks seem to be cut to the minimum. Maybe people do most of their shopping on the internet now, like I do. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in Dec.

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
To my surprise stores were very busy last Thursday when I was out. Really thought with the holiday on Wednesday, things would be sort of quiet. Stores seem to have a good selection even though items are being purchased. Lots of shoppers in line, but checkouts move rather quickly. Guess many are starting their holiday shopping before Thanksgiving in my area.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
The biggest grocery store near me now has a full, wide aisle of Christmas/Hanukkha things out. Food, ornaments, gifts, boxes of cards - lots of things.

The Rite-Aide drug store has a fair amount out. And this week, it is 50% off on boxes, tissue paper, tape, etc. Of course -- their prices on these things are normally high -- so it is good to get them at 50% off. They also have 33% off on lights.

Barnes & Noble has a big table, by the front door, full of Christmas books. Another table of Hanukkah books. And a table of boxed cards. And, rolls of store wrapping paper by the front door. Free - but they invite you to "do it yourself" -- which is fine! The Starbucks inside the store had some Christmas cups -- but I didn't like them.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Things are certainly picking up here. Our malls are completely decorated and playing christmas music. Most shops are stocking their Christmas range and most of it is quote nice.
Out discount shop has set up their entire Christmas range in an empty shop in the mall which is filled with very nice but reasonably priced items.
Have not noticed huge crowds yet, but I am there fairly early and may avoid them.

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
The stores and malls are nothing like when I was a kid. Just about every business was decked out for the holiday's in those days. Our malls are scaling back and stores seem to decorate less and less.

I am also finding less stock and was told there would be no restocking, in Penney's at least. So if you shop at J.C. Penney's and see something you might want to grab it.
As far as crowds black Friday at the mall was a mob scene but today I went to Target and although it was busy it was not packed at all. In fact I found it rather enjoyable with less people.