What Are The Stores Like Near You?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Empty shelves at Walmart? I have noticed a few items that needed restocking, but didn't really think that much of it. I do buy extras of the items I use weekly to cut down on shopping trips & to avoid having to go to another store if something is "out", not stocked or whatever.

Not sure what I think about stores ordering less for the holiday season. I tend to purchase several presents closer to Christmas due to return issues. However, I wouldn't want to deal with out of stock or empty shelves in December. So, I'll plan to buy items earlier (thinking mid October/November) from stores with 60 or 90 day return periods.

I haven't noticed less available merchandise yet. Stock is changing on a regular basis ~ I'll go back in 2 weeks for an item, its gone & the display has changed. Stores seem well stocked, few bare spots except during end of summer clearance. I did notice more room between displays & rack, which I thought was good. I find it hard to look when merchandise is so crowded anyway. It will be interesting to see if store cut back on their stock.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I haven't done much shopping in general stores recently (no need and no interest in window shopping at present) so can't comment on those.

However, I HAVE noticed that in the 2 main grocery supermarkets that we go to, the aisles are a lot less crowded with both people (what a relief) and displays. A lot of the more "temporary" displays, which had been more or less permenant in recent years, have been cleared out and it's back to the basic shelving units. And some moveable shelving untis have been taken off the shop floor (especially in the fruit and veg section - where it would be more perishable) so that they are carrying less stock.

There is now a "whoopsie" section in 1 supermarket that never had it before (both in dry goods shelves, and in the fridges, where stock about to go out of date is reduced by 50% or more. Which is great when you spot their nice own brand (which are very good with "proper" chicken) chicken Kievs dated that day for half price (nice easy dinners!!).

But there are also holes opening up in certain lines of groceries. I am trying to get baking powder for the past 3 weeks, and Irel (a coffee and chicory essence for baking) for over a month - always out of stock. And a few other things are getting to hvae very little on shelves. Interesting times alright.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have noticed nothing like any of this here in South Bend, IN - maybe its coming - but for now it is business as usual around here.

Restaurants are always packed, as usual. Stores are always crowded, unless I go really early in the morning or late, late at night.

Everything is well stocked, although Meijer does tend to run out of their really good sale items quickly - but I think that is more a marketing ploy than anything else. Draw you in with the promise of the deal and then even though it is gone you still end up buying other things anyway.

Our downtown area is seeing alot of new growth, existing companies expanding, new stores and coffee shops and restaurants going in.

The whole Starbucks closing thing may be a delayed reaction from the large list of stores the company released a list for last year as slated to be closed. One of our stores was included on that list, in a rather out of the way area of town, and they haven't closed it yet as far as I know. It was delayed for some reason, but eventually it will happen.

Our area is kind of becoming a destination for shopping. The mall is just huge now and additional upscale shopping areas have been added not far away - really pricey stores that I would be window shopping only for the most part.

It will be interesting to see what stores bring in for the holiday season around here.

Now I will say that the shopping area on the south side of town, my area, although recently revamped and rebuilt and populated with many stores - does have many open spaces still to be rented. Apparently the $ they want for rental is VERY high, so they are having trouble getting stores in there. But I would say the shopping complex is about 70% full as is.

And even in our "little" shopping area (compared to the massive choices out on Grape road) we have 3 Starbucks within a few blocks of each other - all going strong.

Either things are doing better locally or we are all fooling ourselves - scary thought!

DH and I are still very focused on saving $, but we do still tend to spend too much on eating out. I know that once the baby comes our opportunities to do so will be few on the ground, so I kind of excuse it that way. But still...we need to cut back on that!

And thanks to the skills I've learned on these boards (and formerly on the OC) I only shop off of lists, I use coupons, I use sales, I browse clearence, etc.

We definitely shop more frugally now - and I don't intend to change that any time soon!

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I know I don't shop as often as I use to. When I do go out to the Malls there still seems to be the same number of people out walking around but DH made a comment last time that it looks as if fewer people are carrying packages. Recently, I've been very careful with how much I spend and what I spend it on. Most of the restaurants in my area offer some type of deal or send coupons in the mail.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I went to the grocery on Monday because they had some really good sales. What I noticed was 1) there was lots of people shopping and alot more had shopped over the weekend and 2) everyone was shopping VERY carefully, using coupons, checking lists and going over the store circular.

On the other hand, most malls and other stores I have been to have been empty.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Our Walmart has been putting out Halloween costumes and decorating items and the candy row is full. They carried a lot of back-to-school items and those were pretty much picked over. I haven't seen where they have had too much NOT stocked. Just moving things to allow for seasonal changes.

We went to Borders on Monday night and even though it was Monday, they had a good business going. Lots of people shopping. I also noticed they had boxed sets of Christmas cards on display now and along with the Beatles display were ornaments of the Yellow Submarine.

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
While out shopping this weekend, I noticed another couple that appeared to be Christmas shopping. The reason I say this is the gentleman was asking about items from a list & had a hard time w/several book titles. Later I noticed his wife w/a basket of assorted items. This store had a number of shoppers, but not too busy. I did purchase several small gift items all on sale. It was encouraging to see someone else shopping earlier!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I had to stop at KMart yesterday and discovered they have their Christmas area on display in the garden center! Who-Hoo!
I roamed around and found small glass 'snow balls' with Rudolph and the Bumble inside. They had all the characters but I have a soft spot for Rudolph and the Bumble Monster.

I noticed they have a lot of LED lights for decorating. Have any of you tried the LED lights over the usual small electric lights and which do you prefer?

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I got my first set of LED lights last year and I really like them. They are very bright but I like that on my tree. I suppose it depends on what type of lighting you like,they definitely aren't understated!

As for the shops in my town...well compared to this time last year quite a few have closed. It's sad really because I can't see me doing any of my Christmas shopping in town this year and that really will be a first.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Things are very quiet here. There is no sign of Christmas in any of the stores and I am beginning to wonder if they have forgotten. There is usually a few things around by now. I really need a few more Christmas cards and even though I stocked up on paper at the sales last year I need a bit more. I can normally buy these things by now. It is putting me a little behind schedule. I'm sure that it will soon pick up and we can start seeing the holiday spirit in the malls.

Merry Sage

Retire Member
Mar 25, 2009
England
www.moongardenblends.co.uk
Most of the stores here, both big and small, have at least some Christmas stuff out. But they aren't pushing it yet.

The area of England we live in has the highest unemployment in the country, so I don't think the retailers who have survived the recession to this point are going to go overboard like they may have in past years.

I think it's going to be a quiet Christmas in the Midlands. And that's not a bad thing in my view. After all, how many people complain that the holiday has become nothing but a retail opportunity. Now's the chance to get back to the meaning of the Season!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hear, hear! Mary Sage - you are so right on! The pressure of shopping for adults is unpleasant! (Extended family, etc.) You want to get something they like -- but you don't really know what they have..... it's a pain for me! Pressure that is NOT welcome. How much nicer to show that you care -- by actually showing that you care! Words, hugs (oops! watch out for flu!) Sharing a meal or a Christmas event!

Making things less materialistic is making them much better for me! (Of course, presents for children are fun for the person giving the gift too! Children create lots of Christmas magic!)

I KNOW that I can increase my enjoyment of Christmas by being more prepared! (Not by spending more and accumulating more clutter!)

Merry Sage

Retire Member
Mar 25, 2009
England
www.moongardenblends.co.uk
Hear, hear! Mary Sage - you are so right on! The pressure of shopping for adults is unpleasant! (Extended family, etc.) You want to get something they like -- but you don't really know what they have..... it's a pain for me! Pressure that is NOT welcome. How much nicer to show that you care -- by actually showing that you care! Words, hugs (oops! watch out for flu!) Sharing a meal or a Christmas event!

Making things less materialistic is making them much better for me! (Of course, presents for children are fun for the person giving the gift too! Children create lots of Christmas magic!)

I KNOW that I can increase my enjoyment of Christmas by being more prepared! (Not by spending more and accumulating more clutter!)

Definitely! I agree about the kids. I'd always want to indulge children (within reason of course). It's not the same when Santa loses his mystique, so its important to nurture both the spiritual and mysterious aspect of Christmas.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Now I DID notice that Menards did not do nearly as much for Halloween this year!

They usually go all out and setup a long black plastic "tunnel" over one of their aisles and fill in with all the Halloween stuff that talks and lights up, etc.

They didn't do that this year. And they only had 2 aisles of Halloween stuff as opposed to the 3 or 4 they usually have.

So they must have cut back - it kind of looked like they just put out stuff leftover from last year for the most part.

I wonder what they will do for Christmas?

I noticed Meijer has 2 aisles of Christmas items up already! I didn't have time to stop and browse but I definitely peaked!!!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Our local Hallmark shop sells Yankee Candles. When I was in last week I noticed very little Autumn scents and no Christmas scents at all. By September last year the Christmas scents were in. I thought that was strange.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
The store I go to most often is Target (no WalMart here) and they are remodeling, so it's really hard to tell how they're doing - the place is a mess! They have really down-sized the toy section though. The manager said that when the remodel is complete they'll be selling more grocery items. That shocked me, but foodstuffs are more recession-proof.

They were VERY late in putting out their halloween stuff and there is less of it. I'm not sure if it's due to the remodel or just a general cut back. I haven't seen any Christmas stuff out yet (with the exception of Michael's).

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I was in Boots yesterday(I'm not sure if they trade outside of the UK but it's a large chemist franchise)and I picked up my Christmas catalogue. They also have an aisle full of gifts,cards and wrapping paper. So Christmas is starting to creep slowly into the shops in my town!

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
I live in Northern Virginia and although we have also been affected by the recession/depression, we haven't been as affected as the rest of the country due to the large government presence here. That being said, I have noticed a huge delay in stores (walmart, target, mall, etc:) being very slow in not only getting Christmas stuff out but more surprisingly, being slow to get Halloween stuff out. What they are putting out seems to be only half of the inventory they put out last year. I went to Walmart today and they had 2 aisles of Christmas stuff out where as last year at this same time they were completely stocked and decorated for Christmas. I bought my tree there at this time last year and they had them all up and decorated. It's like the store are afraid to mention the fact that the holidays are only a couple of months away. Really Weird.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
And on television today -- I saw an ad for "savings programs_ at Sears and KMart. One was -- you open an account at the store -- and deposit in money over the next weeks (you have a card that is credited). And - on a date in November -- the store gives you a bonus of 3% of the amount of money you have in the account.

The second ad -- had someone saying "I don't get my Christmas bonus until December - but I want to shop now). And the ad then pointed out the lay-aways at Sears and K-Mart. And said - you can buy now -- and pay over time before Christmas.

So they were definitely stressing buying WITHOUT charging.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Was at our mall yesterday. Our Kmart had nothing at all but was clearing some aisles so maybe soon. There was 1 aisle of paper and cards in our dollar store and it looked like they were starting to put out ornaments. There doesn't appear to be as much as in other years but we will see.