Who is getting ready?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Mushy1127

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2010
I was thinking of taking some time to look through last year's binder this weekend. Anyone else feeling "in the mood?"

Michele

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am definitely looking ahead to the end of August! :) I have my list of HGP tasks in a MS Word file, so I will be reviewing and tweaking for this year's needs over the next few weeks.

I'd like to be ready to hit the ground running!!!

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
Yes! I'm going to start list making today, plus work on a new binder. I want to get a head start because my parents always visit in October for a week. That always seems to mess up my schedule. This year I'm going to be prepared.

mummytummy

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Perth WA
:gingerbread: I'm definately in the mood, started overhauling mine last night, it must be the weather here in the uk, cold and wet, i've even had the central heating on recently think i will light a fire this evening:)

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
I'm getting in the mood too. My kids start back to school Aug. 5th, so I'm wondering what I'll be able to get done early before the plan actually starts.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'll start looking at this when I'm home on vacation next week.. meanwhile.. declutter, declutter, declutter :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm always up to looking.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have never tried this plan before, maybe this is the year I should start

Christmasstar

Retire Member
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario Canada eh!
I was thinking of taking some time to look through last year's binder this weekend. Anyone else feeling "in the mood?"

Michele

I was just upstairs going through the box of gifts I bought already. I have some nice stuff in there!
Need to work more on the advent calendar gifts.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am melting! NOT a summer person - so here I hide, with my laptop and inches from the AC :)

Very much looking forward to a great HGP season!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I've already started. I have more rooms than the plan allows for with 2 full indoor kitchens (DH is an Executive Chef), 3 full baths & more. HGP also begins during prime time hurricane season here so inevitably we get at least a one week interruption at the least. I'm trying to learn from my past downfalls and just start earlier.

CLEANING: So far I've deep cleaned and decluttered the Dining room. Kick me if I ever buy such ornate diningroom furniture again. I had to clean every piece using a toothbrush for hours and hours. I still have the floors but I have an open floor plan so I will do all of the floors at one time to polish all together.

I've deep cleaned and decluttered my front porch as well as repainted the shutters and front door (Red). I will look for my deck paint to repaint the decking on the Acadian style front porch tomorrow.

The entrance flower beds got some serious TLC and are awaiting the fall flower scheme planting.

DH and I did some serious decluttering in the garage but there are still items to be organized within the shelving units but the majority of it is done.

LISTS/BINDER: I'm revamping my binder to better reflect MY household. The master gift list is done.

CHRISTMAS: I've completed a few gifts that I made by hand and currently working on more. I did replenish by wrapping center supplies

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Ejagno - you are on fire! Getting things done like crazy. I think it's a very good idea for you to start since you know there will be interruptions.

I've made my decision to do the HGP over the HHP. I did the HHP for several years (even have the book) but thought I'd switch it up this year. But, the thing I like about the HHP is that it starts with paperwork and organizing files so that the season's essential things don't get lost in the shuffle of cleaning and holiday prep. So, that is what I will work on when time allows from now until the HGP starts.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I'm ready! I printed out new calendar pages, gift list etc. for Christmas in July (I make several copies - for my mom, SILs, Aunts etc.)

This weekend I'd like to go through my tear files and pare them down a bit...I have more ideas than i could ever implement in a lifetime! Plus, then I'd get to look through all of those lovely pages and daydream a bit! We'll see if DH can entertain the boys for a couple of hours either Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm in! I'm taking my binder on vacation next week and hope to spend some wonderful time with it poolside. I'd LOVE to get my DH and the boys on board. DH sort of laughs when I mention it but since we'll all be on vacation together and in a more relaxed state I'm going to try again to get their input so we'll see.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We are in the home stretch, ladies! :) Before you know it, it will be the end of August and the HGP will be HERE!

For me to have any hope of accomplishing even some of the HGP tasks I want to do this year I am starting now.

However, I'm not starting the HGP now - I'm starting the habits and routines to better manage my day to day challenges and must dos - so that when the HGP gets here I have a handle on the basics and can try to do the extras!

My morning and nightly routines are working well and by the end of the month should be new "habits" for me - that are done without thinking most of the time.

I have started HGP'ing a little in the kitchen - wiping down cabinet fronts, even cleaning out one drawer that tends to collect alot of junk. But for the most part, I am waiting for the plan to kick off.

I've been reviewing my list of tasks by room...I've trimmed down what I plan to attempt this year. But even then I know I won't get to it all - but I'm excited to do as much as I can! :)

Sick, isn't it? To be excited about extra cleaning? I must need more coffee! lol

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Aunt Jamelle, I love your last comment...sick...being excited about extra cleaning...

I think I'm depressed. I don't want to do any of this. Goodness knows, my house surely needs to go through the HGP, as well as deep purging and cleaning. I did most of it last year, but I did Saturday detention, and that ate away so much of my time. (didn't realize it would...hindsight) I'm not committing to doing Saturday detention this year.

I might as well not wait until I feel like doing this. I need to just do it regardless of how I feel. Sorry I'm a downer. I'm going to try and gleen inspiration and encouragement from all of you.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Cleaning should be done when one does not feel like it. Why waste time cleaning when you are in a good mood. Save that time for fun things.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I think everyone approaches/feels about cleaning in different ways. Just like people have different standards of "clean". What is just fine for one person may be super overkill for another - :)

Some people clean when they are stressed - the act of cleaning - of setting something to rights acts as a sort of therapy for them.

Some people enjoy cleaning for its own sake. Others can't stand the thought of it and only do what they have to. Some of us may be a mix of all of these depending on the day or the time of our lives, the things we are dealing with, etc.

Some people are self-described "cleaning perfectionists" and are often dissatisfied with the progress/accomplishments they do make because they see so much more that need/want to do. Sometimes the desire to want to "do it perfectly" can prevent projects from starting at all.

Everyone has different priorities in life. I happen to be one of those people - at least at this point in my life - that is actually bothered when I feel the house isn't clean or that things are cluttered and untidy.

I'm not talking toys and normal day to day clutter but the long term clutter - the homeless items - the paper stacks - etc.

It really gets me down if I live with that state of things for too long. So for me to BE in a better mood, I'm learning to slowly take control back - building little habits one at a time - so that I avoid feeling frustrated about the house and can focus on other things. Playing with DS, talking with DH, working on my craft projects, etc.

Cleaning plans like the HGP are a mixed blessing - there is so much to aspire to - but I think it is a rare thing that the stars align just so and one of us MHHer's actually finishes every single thing we hoped to do. LOL

I've gleaned so much wisdom from the group on this board - and before MHH from the Organized Christmas forums we had! I've learned to shoot for items 1-10 but to be happy that I at least got items 2 and 5 done! :) I've learned to give myself "permission" to not do it all - all the time.

I really do feel like a gerbil running on a little wheel alot of the time. So much of what we do in the house is repetitive. In my less optimistic moments, I've felt like the person sentenced to moving a pile of rocks, one by one, to a different location - only to turn around and have to move it back again - and on and on...

Maybe that is why I get "excited" about the HGP - at least alot of the tasks I will be attempting aren't ones I do day in and day out.

I guess what I am trying to say is - if you are looking for inspiration, support, great ideas, optimism and real heart - this is perfect place to find it!

Whatever plan or approach anyone decides to use - everyone here is so great at supporting one another - looking at the accomplishments and not the absence of them. That is probably another BIG reason I look forward to the HGP each year! :)

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I have started doing some of the extras that I don't always get around to. I cleaned out the junk drawers, did a quick tidy on my scrapbook desk, and went through and reorganized the stash of school supplies to see what I had, needed, etc. I am a pretty serious couponer, so I pretty much always buy ahead and stock up non-perishables, health and beauty, paper products, gifts and school supplies. If I buy them on sale, clearance and/or with a coupon it is less expensive and less I will have to buy later.

I like to really build up the extra freezer and pantry in the fall, and try to live off the pantry in December and January for the holidays and the worst of the winter weather. I keep shelf stable milk and gallons of water on hand so that if there is a storm we will have a backup supply. I like to keep frozen bread dough in the freezer and bake a loaf if we get snowed in, too. No running out in the craziness of impending doom when there is no milk, eggs or bread on the shelves at the store anyway.