Who is getting ready?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I found Frosty, Rudolph and The Holiday at Disc Replay for $2.22 each. Actually, if you buy 5 for $2.22 you get the 6th free, so technically it turned out to be a little less after hubby picked out a movie and we found one for dd. The free one was Sleepless in Seattle which just so happens to have a little bit of Christmas in it, too. ;) We had all the Chistmas cartoon classic movies on VHS and throughout the year I have been gradually replacing them on DVD. I need to pull out my Christmas binder and check my list, but I think the only one I have left to replace is The Grinch (cartoon version, we have the Jim Carrey version on DVD already.)

I also searched online today and found some apple butter recipes for canning. I am really trying to find one similar to a restaurant here that serves apple butter and fried biscuits. So, I may have to make, taste and tweak a few different recipes. If anyone has a great tried and true apple butter recipe, I would love to hear about it. There are so many different ones online to choose from it's mind boggling.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I can't wait! I have a ton of projects in mind for this fall. I want to get as much done as possible before our Halloween party on October 29, so I think I'll be tweaking the plan to suit my small house and get the biggest things done first. I need to clean out and clear out a ton of clutter...I think it reproduces in the cabinets and closets!

Can't wait to see what everyone has up their sleeves for fall cleaning, decorating and holiday making!!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Hi, CheeryChick! Welcome to the forums. I hope you get a bit of inspiration from our group. Check out the other threads, too.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Thank you for the kind welcomes! I have been poking about and reading a bit. There are lots of crafty and creative people on this forum!

I've actually started some Christmas organizing this week. Last Christmas, I received a recipe card binder from my mom that is designed for storing recipes for holiday treats. I have had it up with my recipe books, but haven't put anything into it yet. The other day, I made a list of all of my favorite Christmas goodies and started writing the recipes down on the holiday-themed recipe cards that came with the binder. Now I will have the directions for all of my favorite Christmas treats in one place. :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
WTG, CheeryChick! I would like to do that soon. I have recipes scattered out in several places and would like to have them all in one place for the holidays.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
:welcome:
luludou, Christmas nuts... can I pick to be the walnut, I like them best :p

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Nursemomtothree.... it is DEFINITELY excitement!!! "Panic" is NOT invited to our Christmas 2011!!!!!

Christmas 2011 will probably be the MOST financially difficult that dh and I have EVER experiened.

It will ALSO be..... the MOST peaceful..... and the MOST wonderful Christmas that we have ever experienced.

All of us here.... at our Magical Holiday Home..... have a beautiful, spiritual, viritual MHH family to celebrate Christmas 2011 with!!!!!

Be calm. Expect miracles.

I am so much older than you.

I have been desparate enough..... to "wait".... in faith.

I have seen miracles.

"Miracles" are always about..... love.

And.... our hearts do NOT yearn for material things. Our hearts yearn..... for love.

Ask.

Wait.

See what Christmas 2011.... brings.

Last edited:

angel-love

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I haven't been able to print off my HGP forms yet as the printer died. So what I have done is use one of the .20 spiral notebooks from Target. I've done a sheet or two for each week. I've got my lists pretty well set up. Every day or two I go back and read them over and sometimes add a few more things.
This last week I started early in the kitchen. I've been cleaning out my cabinets. I threw away expired foods, spices, etc. That was something that I don't always have time for. But it was great crossing those things off of my list!! :) I hope to finish cleaning the cabinets this next week. It would be great if I could finish the kitchen this week!
Have a good week everyone!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I'm excited, too! My NB and lists are all ready to go.

I think I need an online calendar that can combine my work and home schedules...any suggestions? Between my travel schedule and the kids activities and appointments, I'm afraid I'm going to miss something...the double-entry method isn't working. Add in holiday events and it's a recipe for disaster!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I like the Cozi family reminder. You can add anything and if you load everyone's cell numbers, it will send a text reminder to everyone you tell it to...my family loves it...even DH.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Thank you, ladies! I will definitely check out Cozi tonight! It sounds like just what I need!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I printed off my forms this morning!! I made it in early and there was toner in the colour copier for a change!!

I have started to get myself in gear, slowly, but there are the bones of a plan there. I need to work on getting that plan in shape properly, working on my crafting and doing a LOT of decluttering.

The good news is that we did the KK draw for our siblings a couple of weeks ago. So I know who I need to organise a big present for, and who is getting stocking fillers.

The next BIG thing, apart from the lists, is to get DH to start thinknig about where we want to celebrate this year. Before all the rentals book out near where we grew up (whatever about any other time of the year, having our own "base" to retreat to is very VERY helpful at Christmas time, away from the different stresses in both our families).

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
WingedOne.... you are One Thousand Percent Correct! It is Priceless... to have "your own place" for Christmas visits. You must have "a neutral corner".... so you can retreat from the drama going on at..... "each family-of-origin" ... for you and dh". Are there unusual variables this year..... because your husband has been doing so much travelling? Is there a chance that you won't be able to visit your families.... at Christmas..... and may have to take a trip to visit your families at another time of year?

And what about your au pair? Will she be going home to her family.... or will she be staying at your place?

The "place where you celebrate Christmas 2011".... that IS an important decision.

For myself.... I HAD assumed that we would be HERE for Christmas 2011! However.... real life is making some waves...... and not just the Hurricane Irene waves. For now..... there is SOME uncertainty about our 2011 Christmas location.

So.... what does that mean? Well..... it means that the "spiritual aspects" of Christmas 2011 become even MORE important. It means that "preparation in advance".... is even MORE important. (Christmas cards ready to mail, gifts wrapped, etc. etc.

"Real life" is our constant companion, isn't it?