Word for 2011

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
My word for 2011 will be: Balance.

I find that between juggling full time work and two young kids (10 months and 2.5 years), it has been difficult to look after myself, my husband, home and interests. So... it's time I learned to balance all the areas of my life so no one is neglected. It's also about accepting help so I can take care of myself too.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going with Resolve. I have so many things in my life that need to be resolved in all realms!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I have never chosen a word for the year before! I have spent a lot of time thinking about it and my word for this year is re-create. 2010 has been a year of uncertainty with my husband being unemployed for over 6 months. Now that he is employed again I feel like there is time now for me to concentrate on myself again. I need to get back on the exercise train and the eating healthy train and stay on it!! I am going to spend some time re-creating myself this year, re-creating our financial picture and re-creating some of the spaces in our home and yard. I am looking forward to a wonderful 2011.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
You might notice I started my own thread for my own word....please feel free to do the same...It can be your ongoing journal/discussion of your word....people can comment etc....on your own word and comments etc....it makes it a little easier to find comments specifically directed toward you and your word if we each have our own thread...and it might be fun to scroll through them and see different peoples ideas etc about your experiences and about the word that you pick....

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I think I'll go with a phrase this year - Move it out.

Whether it's junk in the house or my butt on a trip I think that's what I'd like to do.

Debbie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm going to be tracking my Journey's and progress on my Whimsical Mom blog as well as here. Will start a thread here as well for my Word journal. Great idea Ginger!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
My Word for 2011:GRATITUDE
-- the state of being grateful : thankfulness

2010 had some life situations that were tough, but the Lord is faithful and I want to be grateful and focus on that attitude and not throw myself a pity pary.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I'm trying to put what I want to say into one word. I was originally going to say my word is going to be CHANGE, as I was not happy with some things or what I was doing in 2010. I need to get back on track...I was very lazy about things and for some reason unmotivated to make the changes I needed. So I don't really know if CHANGE is the word for me or maybe a phrase like GET BACK ON TRACK...

Hmmm....will have to think about it more!!

Blue Christmas

Retire Member
Dec 22, 2010
Choosing a focus word is a fantastic idea! Not so much a resolution as a mantra. I think HEALTHY would be a good word for me to strive, in every aspect of life. A healthy body, home, attitude, family, friendships, savings, life... My days have been too far spent in problem resolution rather than living life. Healthy lifestyle will be for me, from this new day, forward.

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Sounds awesome!

Health was my word for last year- It will be nice to see another member's journey!

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
My 2011 word is conquer. I spent so much of 2010 just adapting and surviving and in 2011 I want to conquer the organization of the house, the meal planning, the healthy eating, the being a wife and stop mom thing. I want some successes here and I want to feel like forward progress is being made. I am ready to attempt to conquer it all! Even if I don't conquer all of it, some is more than none!

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
I have been thinking about my word a lot. Many of you don't remember me because I have not been around a lot this past year. I tend to jump in and out to recharge my batteries.

My word for last year was faith. It was a great word for the year. It worked in many ways. We were in a very long and drawn out custody battle for my 12 year old great niece. Custody was finally granted to my adult daughter of this precious young girl. It took from October of 2009 until the very end of August for this to take place. We had delay after delay, but finally were settled with Miss Audree remaining with my daughter (who currently lives with us while she finishes college) and the other three children being put in the custody of their dads. (two different one and our Audree has yet another dad, who was not considered in this quest.) Praise the Lord, the judge has granted them safety, love and security. The situation with my niece--the mom of the kids---continues to be an experience. The children now are allowed to have standard visitation after a full year of her having only supervised visitation. It has been an eventful and stressfull few months as we transitioned to this.

Faith was the word that helped me through last year. I have been bouncing around a lot of possible choices. I felt that chaos was not a suitable word, but that is what my life has become. I have considered many calming, soothing words, but they have just not been versatile knowing the things we are still facing. I seriously considered journey, but it is a little too mundane and lacks the punch that I know will be needed.

I backed off for awhile and thought I should lean toward meditation, revive or something along those lines. Then life got in the way when the children all had to visit with their mom for 11 days during Christmas. I got very stressed and have not been able to think clearly until we had them all home safe and sound. Even now, we are feeling the ripples from the visit.

I came here tonight to read everyone's words and was determined on Jan. 3 to finally select my word. Then, I read Ginger's post. Not only do I love her idea of the months, her choice of word---quest---is perfect for me for the coming WHATEVER.

At times I may have to be a dragonslayer on a quest and at other times it can be a quest for something soothing and laid back. So, Gingerbug, I hope you don't mind that I have decided to share your perfect word. No knight of the Table Round ever knew where his quest might take him or the outcome. However, his faith, like mine, never waivered and helped him persevere. (another word I considered)

So, I begin my quest this new year. I start immediately with my quest for a job. I am trying to return to the classroom full time, but have not had any luck. I have 21 years teaching experience, but took a disability retirement 10 years ago. I want to return to teaching for many reasons, but now have moved to a need level with the added need to assist with expenses for Audree. However, with the economy, I have not been able to get a job. It is much cheaper to hire someone with no experience and I know it is risky for schools to hire someone who has been out of the classroom so long. However, I go into the classroom tomorrow on a long term substitute assignment for at least 9 weeks. I am hoping this will open a door for a postion for me. So, the quest begins...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
printersdevil,
What a life altering adventure!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
printersdevil-
I do remember you and have thought of you often! And have wondered about the custody battle!

Welcome back!
Looking forward to following your journey!

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
printersdevil-welcome back. I also remember you & have wondered how the custody battle went. I'm happy it went well. Please stick around and let us cheer you on, encourage you, pray or whatever maybe be needed...

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My 2011 word is conquer. I spent so much of 2010 just adapting and surviving and in 2011 I want to conquer the organization of the house, the meal planning, the healthy eating, the being a wife and stop mom thing. I want some successes here and I want to feel like forward progress is being made. I am ready to attempt to conquer it all! Even if I don't conquer all of it, some is more than none!

Good luck Kim...I will say it again your DS's are fortunate to have 2 mom's...

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I haven't posted in a long time - mostly just read. But I always liked the idea of a word for the year. God has really laid one particular word on my heart this year:

Joy

I started a thread about this and shared my story as to why. I'm not sure how often that I will post to it, but it feels good to have a safe place to come and share when I need. Thanks for providing this place!