Anyone else married to Scrooge?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay, so he's not exactly Scrooge, but he just doesn't seem to have much Christmas spirit. His Dad used to seem to hate Christmas because of the money he had to spend on gifts for people, and maybe this attitude has rubbed off on my husband. I've already gotten the 'Watch how much you spend/they don't need all that' lecture, and some grief about purchasing another tree. But I am budget conscious and really do stick to a limit (the new tree was a splurge, but it is going to be my Christmas present this year).

I love Christmas music, decorating, cookie baking, secrets, wrapping gifts, etc. DH seems only to tolerate it.

Are any of the rest of you married to Scrooge, and how do you deal with it?

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
My Hubby and I have always referred to ourselves as Scrooge and Cratchet! Hubby is an accountant, yet I do all the bean counting at home so the analogy truly fits! He just doesn't like all the fuss and commotion. I say that's alright because I have enough enthusiasm for the both of us!

Last year Hubby started referring to our dog as Max and himself as the Grinch! He does have a sense of humor about it all.

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
My husband complains that he puts out all this money and does't get much in return. He's the type that buys what he wants and then there's nothing for anybody to buy him. Last year he got gift cards and he was happier than usual. He says Christmas is a pain and he'll be glad when it's over. I don't even ask him to help decorate or anything. I gave up on a live tree because he compained so about putting it in a stand. I don't let him ruin things for me. I think he likes it more than he lets on but he's definately a grinch or scrooge.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I am very gung-ho about it all and dh isn't quite as excitable. He also refuses to put the tree up (but it has to be real!) earlier than a week before Christmas. This bugs me a bunch since I decorate everything else weeks before and then have to rearrange to fit in the tree. He's not really a scrooge, just not as excited about it as I am!

Lisa :package:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My husband used to be a scrooge, but the last few years he has really changed. I think a lot has to do with the fact that I am so prepared and organized for the holidays (Thank you OC!!!). He also sees the kids getting involved in the prep work and how much fun we have that he can't help but want to be involved as well. I never thought that he would change, but he did!! It's a Christmas Miracle!!! :D

:snowman: Melanie

oimom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Savannah GA
My SO had a childhood where Christmas wasn't good.He prefers quiet small holidays.Not the 15-20 people gatherings I'm used too.So this year I'm it will be us and the 2 kids(I can't get used to the sounds of that.).my parents will probably come by for awhile.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One year I wasn't feeling very well so I didn't decorate at all. I found it very depressing. The next year I was able to get the tree up with lights but no decorations. It still was beautiful. DH couldn't care less about it. He doesn't do anything but move the tree for me. Seems to me he thinks that the holidays interrupt the football games.

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
My DH gets into it all once Thanksgiving is over...he claims there are strict rules in our house about music and decorations before then, even though the kids and I listen to music while he's at work. The only thing that's really hard is making time to go buy our tree--he's a basketball coach and so this falls right in the middle of his crazy months. He seems to like it once we're there, but getting him there is a chore...

Oh, and I don't let the no music rules apply to my cell...once Halloween hits, my ringtone becomes It's Beginning to Look Alot Like Christmas!

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
To the original question: not any more

Ahorsesoul - I did the tree & lights only one year, and enjoyed it.
The next year I added a few of my bear collection. I've done a variety of things since then, but the tree/lights only was really nice considering the time in my life.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
What I have learned thru different things is DH had a terrible childhood. A terrible father and a worse stepfather. He likes the only thing that I could live without and that is a christmas tree. He thinks that the decorating I do is a waste of time. Until its done then he loves it. He thinks that I spend too much money on the kids. But Christmas is the one time I can spoil the kids. The rest of the year all our money goes into the boys racing.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My DH can be a bit of a Scrooge, but by the morning of Christmas Eve he is very much a "reformed" Scrooge :grin:

NLxmasmom

Retire Member
Nov 22, 2007
I am married to Ebenezer Scrooge himself. :( I love Christmas!!! Dh has been called Scrooge many times over the past couple of weeks. Probably because he keeps saying he hates Christmas. It's not that he hates Christmas, but he's a truck driver and delivers to grocery & convenience stores. By the time Christmas is here, he is so sick of Christmas candy, decorations and turkeys. He says that he has three kids at home that love Christmas and he's married to one of them...LOL...I tell him that he might as well just suck it up. I love Christmas and I want my kids to grow up with wonderful memories of Christmas. He just rolls his eyes and lets me go ahead. If it was up to him our tree would go up Christmas Eve and come down again on Boxing Day. I've already warned him that it will be going up on December 3rd and he had better get his behind in gear and get the outside lights up.

Woman

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Fallsington, Pa
My husband complains about everything-it is just a bad habit of his-me I am a upbeat person so I just go ahead and do all the things I love to do and the first thing I notice is that my husband is right there beside me shopping like a mad man and making sure all the grandkids and adult kids are getting lots of presents-there is plenty of good food-a beautful tree-beautiful decorations outside-cards to everyone-music-so we always have a wonderful Christmas and he
helps me make it that way-so my complaining husband is really a very sweet guy dressed like Scrooge. WOMAN

:bigsnow: :bigsnow: :bigsnow:

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I was married to somewhat a scrooge - then this year a huge transformation !!! what happened you wonder - well the birth of our little granddaughter. last christmas she was so little, but this year, 17 months and yelling snowman, santa, tree, snow, reindeer, light at everything she saw - he saw a huge smile creep on her little face at the sight of santa in a restaurant (although she is still to scared to sit on santa's lap)- well, now we have outside lights, he helped with the tree, decorations, he himself tracked down a singing care bear because our granddaughter pointed to it on television yelling bear. oh, and we are leaving up the outside christmas lights till the end of winter because granddaughter loves them!!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
mrspaul, what a NEAT transformation! So glad to hear that there is hope for scrooges everywhere. Gives me another reason to look forward to grandchildren! :cloudnine: