Anyone else married to Scrooge?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

KrustyTheCat

Retire Member
Mar 26, 2008
Holiday Joy said:
Okay, so he's not exactly Scrooge, but he just doesn't seem to have much Christmas spirit. His Dad used to seem to hate Christmas because of the money he had to spend on gifts for people, and maybe this attitude has rubbed off on my husband. I've already gotten the 'Watch how much you spend/they don't need all that' lecture, and some grief about purchasing another tree. But I am budget conscious and really do stick to a limit (the new tree was a splurge, but it is going to be my Christmas present this year).

quote]

Yes!!! This describes my DH to a TEE!!! He hates hates hates Christmas. I do all the decorating (though he helps take stuff down and puts up the tree if he is home). He does buy me gifts, but i think we are starting to scale that out...there really isn't anything we want and we usually buy it when we have the money. Though I do like it when he shops for me...so we'll see what happens this year. DH doesn't like the fact that he feels "forced" to buy gifts just because it is christmas. I have been asked to cut down on the kids' gifts too. They have so much already, so I really should.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I am really lucky with my hubby.
In the beginning of our relationship christmas wasn't really important for him. But with
my christmas preparations and decorations he changed and now he joins in when I
decorate the christmas tree or plan our christmas menu.

I'm really happy that he changed. And he also accepts my decoration for easter, spring, fall or Halloween without any discussions or bad words. But in general I think that men aren't so interested in
decoration and such things than we are.

Chilli

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
My Husband seemed to think the christmas fairies came in and sorted out christmas (a bit like the washing fairies). He appeared completely oblivious to all the preparation I put in to it. Then christmas 2004 our DD2 was due christmas week. I was not well and things were getting on top of me, so I wrote it all down in a letter, explaining how I felt. Then a miracle occured. The next day he decorated the house, went shopping with me and we bought all the christmas presents. He helped me wrap them, write all the cards and even cooked the christmas meal. Ever since he has made much more effort and I no longer have to buy and wrap my christmas present from him!!

In fact for Christmas 2007 when he asked what I wanted for Christmas I just said a surprise and refused to give him any clues. He finally cottoned on to realising how difficult it can be to think of presents. The result - an absolutely brilliant present - an ipod touch and speaker system. I couldn't have asked for a better present, and I use it every day!

So, christmas miracles do occur! :haha:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well mine isn't a scrooge for the gifts (though he thinks OURS get too much)... but he isn't in the spirit like I am.... Last year we had an elf for the 1st time... I thought he would hate the idea, and even though he didn't participate, he seemed to like it. He let's me get on with things but he does like having people over!

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
Mine tries not to be. He thinks I am over the top when I am decorating in early November (I can't do the tree until a week into December) and the fact I become all consumed with Christmas is hard for him to relate to, but over all he really does try not to be too much of a scrooge. He's adaptable so I can't complain.

I am used to my friends and family thinking I am a bit neurotic with the holiday, so as far as everyone else is concerned, he's more understanding then them!

The way i see it, I adapted to his love of sports (all year long) he can live with me loving Christmas!!

Kelly :pink:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Mine has really never been a scrooge but for a while when we were first married he had a hard time with me talking about Christmas in the middle of summer. That was when I started pouring over cookbooks looking for new recipes to test and try to see if I would use it for up coming holidays. I also started working in my gift list. Now that has enjoyed several holidays that were not as crazy and saw how I managed to save money by buying gifts year round when I found great deals he is all for discussing Christmas in the summer. Sometime he even brings it up. LOL! By fall he starts planning how he is going to decorate the outside for Christmas.
Now I am at the point of thinking about planning for Christmas in the beginning of the year and has learned to accept and just goes with the flow.

charliebrownxmas

Retire Member
Jan 6, 2008
My DH is not a Scrooge, but he does think I am a little wacky. He will help with stuff when asked, but does not take initiative on his own. I pretty much buy and wrap all of the presents we give, including his family, which I don't enjoy doing at all. He is good about taking out time to put up the outside lights and never complains. I would love it, though, if he would come up to me this year and say, "Do you want me to put the lights up this weekend?" or "Let me take you to look at Christmas lights" or "I already bought and wrapped your Christmas present, but if there is something special you would like, please let me know".

:package:

C

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
my husband was never really a scrooge about christmas. But I did all the decorating, buying, wrapping, etc etc etc etc etc. He did not even help me with the tree. Then - our little granddaughter was born - suddenly he became Santa Claus !!!! She will be 2 and a half this christmas, - last christmas he decorated the outside of the house with lights for her, now he is already talking that he needs more lights for the outside for the baby. So she can see it when you come around the corner in the car. We live at the end of the street - so that is going to be a lot of lights !!!

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
As long as the Christmas Music starts after December 1st DH is happy. I'm more of a November 1st kinda girl. This is an ongoing battle. But I usually win. HA HA!!!!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I start to play my Christmas music early November as well! Unfortunately my husband is a bit of a Scrooge and it's me that does all the decorations inside. He puts up the lights outside though. The problem that my husband has, is that he can't understnd why I talk about Christmas all year. He's a strictly Christmas in December person. That's why I love sites like these, where I can talk about things and not get looked at as if I had two heads. :-D

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
YIP... I can sign this... He thinks I am over the top when I am decorating in early November beginning with scent oilburners and candles.. he always thinks we have already too much (in my opinion you can NEVER have enough christmas decoration...) and when I see something new I want.. he keeps telling me that we don´t need it.. it mostly ends with me buying it and he is moaning about where to put it... (as we did it for the last years ... you get used to this procedure.. :santalol: )

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is hard to understand the male psyche if you are not male. My husband uses the symbol of the "Christmas Comb for Dad". My husband said he never knew why his Dad didn't like Christmas -- until he figured out that all his Dad received for Christmas was a "comb" - and a lot of bills!

We talk about an "I Me Mine" basket - we KNOW how important little gifts and treats are for us. I think our husbands receive a lot less in the treats department. I don't think they love the early decorating and all the millions of Christmas details which WE love! I think they worry lots more about "being good providers". We worry more about "being great bargain-hunters".

This is a wake up call for me to try to be as thoughtful of my husband as I am thoughtful of myself! Welllll... that is not going to happen! I need to nurture my own energy carefully during the holiday season, so I don't get too tired and stressed out. But I can be A LOT MORE THOUGHTFUL of him. I guess he is in danger of getting too tired and stressed out too.

I can encourage him to watch as many sports shows as he likes during the holiday season (while I am in the other room watching my own television set with Christmas shows!) I can give him lots of hugs and kisses and tell him how much I love him AT LEAST every day. I can think about giving him healthy delicious meals every day during the Christmas season, rather than just thinking about food for guests and for the holiday meals. You know, I am pretty old and I have spent a lot of wonderful Christmases with my husband, and I have never thought about him in this way. Wow. Doesn't that show how much this site helps us? (Thank you, Gingerbug, for the beautiful gift you have given us. We love it!)
"heartstrings:

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
what about making an advent calendar from him SparkleNana, a countdown with little sayings or small gifts or his favorite chocolate everyday? I think he will be feeling like a child again and looking forward to the next day ..PLUS you have a wonderful decoration in your house AND you can already think about and prepare it in november..PLUS time for other things in december.. :package:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hollybow - that is a GENIUS of an idea!!!!!!!!

It could contain shared memories that are funny. I saw one that was wooden and had a little box for each day. So you could keep it from year to year, and change some of the little gifts. It really opens your eyes to think hard about someone you love (and it would be a GREAT gift for any adult!) It would really put magic into the month of December for him! I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! :grouphug:

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
My DH was a military brat so his DM didn't do much Christmas decorating (still don't), they moved too often to pack all of the extra stuff for just Christmas. AND, they were always away from family so Christmas presents were just for him, DM & DF....simple. Then he marries me who lived my entire life in one house and lots of extended family that we bought for and celebrated the holidays. He was overwhelmed and thought it was all un-necessary.

BUT, 29 years later he helps me put up the outside lights and get all of my "stuff" out of storage. He doesn't help much with the decorations (every room of the house), but that's MY thing that I LOVE. NOW he loves all the "fuss" and invites people over to see the house. He even has backed off the complaints of $$ since he sees me shopping all year and getting good buys as well as spreading out the expenses. Although I do get the speach about spending too much on DS's.....but I still do what I want....within reason....

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
SparkleNana said:
Hollybow - that is a GENIUS of an idea!!!!!!!!

It could contain shared memories that are funny. I saw one that was wooden and had a little box for each day. So you could keep it from year to year, and change some of the little gifts. It really opens your eyes to think hard about someone you love (and it would be a GREAT gift for any adult!) It would really put magic into the month of December for him! I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! :grouphug:
:flower: glad you like the idea :flower: have fun making it :grin: