Decorating for Fall

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We've discussed when we decorate, and maybe even touched a little on the how, but now I want details!

Do you decorate for fall? Do you use mostly a generic fall decor, or do you specifically decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving? Fresh mums? Jack o lanterns? What colors/textures/details speaks "fall" to you? Is there something that you look forward to putting out each year? Do you use silk flowers and faux pumpkins or do you lean more toward fresh potted plants and fresh pumpkins? What about gourds? Do you preserve fall leaves or purchase silk/fabric/preserved ones?

Details, please! Picture links would be lovely, too!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I do a bit of both natural and faux. We usually do real pumpkins but our plants are not producing this year.

On my table I put a fall cookie jar and fill it with silk flower (mums and other stuff). I put a leaf garland down the center of the table (silk and wire). In the kitchen, I have plaid and leaf placemats (green and brown). On my mantel, I have silk leaves in a bunch and fake acorns that I scattering around. I put a candy dish on my coffee table- it is filled with fall potpourri. In the bathrooms and kitchen, I hang up little fall fingertip towels-- to add a touch of fall color.

Outside I hang a fall wreath- I am redoing it this year. I want to do more this year outside... corn stalks and maybe a fall sign welcoming guests.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I have a fall and a Halloween decoration.

For fall I prefer colours like orange, dark yellow, dark red, purple, also a little bit brown.

Furthermore I love all kind of pumpkins, fall wreaths, dried berries, dried corncobs, etc.
The above mentioned colours I use in table clotzes, pillows (and also in a quilt, if I will finish
it until fall this year :grin: )

My table cloth looks like this:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50124140

Also suitable would be:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00124072
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40104883

(I am not allowed to look at these two links too often - otherwise I will go to IKEA and buy it :grin: )

I will also try to find fabrics with fall themes on it (pumpkins, leaves, etc) for sewing pillows etc.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures yet. As soon as I have some, I will present them on my decoration blog

Chilli

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
:flower: For fall I put a wagon on the coffee table with flowers in it. On either side of the wagon I put acorn candle holders They are orange, yellow, red. In the vase next to the entertainment center I put a vase of flowers. I have a 7 piece village and that goes on the two shelves of my entertainment center. On the bookcase i put another vase of flowers. On my year round tree in the dining room I put apples. On the table I put fall colored place mats. In the kitchen i have a basket of fall flowers that I out on the counter. In the bathroom I put a orange shower curtain up. I also have a brown rug set that I put out. In the bedroom I have a three piece candle set I put out. I use apple scented candles :flower:

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I'm more of a seasonal decorator and just add a couple things for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I tend to do faux and silk because I'm notorious for forgetting about plants and then they die :sad:

I have lots of fall leaf/berry garlands that I use on the top of my china cabinet, the mantle, the shelves in the family and living rooms, the piano, and drape around the chandelier in the dining room and front hall. I have lots of different pumpkins and gourds (fabric, wood, grapevine, ceramic) that I nestle among the garlands. I also stick a little raffia in here and there too.

On my kitchen table, I stick with a small table runner that is washable (although it was looking alittle worn last year, may need to invest in a new one). On my dining room table I have a beautiful tapestry table cover for the center that was my grandmother's; on it I usually place 2 ceramic pumpkins and silk leaves.

On my front and back door I have wreaths that are rather generic, but pretty. I also use scented candles and tarts to set the mood.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm also a Holiday decorator, but after Halloween I try and keep some fall decorations up for the month of November. I have a fall tablecloth, some orange, yellow and burnt brown colors. I'd love to add in some more purple though.

The outdoor decors are hard though, becuase of the snow here in Denver. It just gets blown down alot in November.

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I don't do a ton of Fall decorating. I usually use a lot of pumpkins and fall leaves. Then as we get closer to Halloween I just stick a jack-o-latern in with my other pumpkins. I put up our tree the day after Halloween so I don't have any Fall items up for Thanksgiving.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm a Fall Decorator wanna-be -- ever since DH and I drove through the NE states in Autumn. You Northeasterners do Fall right! Scarecrows in every yard, bails of hay, pumpkins and other gourds.... just beautiful. I live in the Northwest though and last time I put out pumpkins we had bears and other critters eating them on the doorstep! So this year I have a beautiful golden wreath that will go on the front door (thanks to Ben Franklins Fall clearance last year). I'll put out Fall colored flowers for sure, and I need to shop for some amber colored table runners and other tabletop decor. I've done indoor gourds before but those seem to go bad, so perhaps I can find some decent imitation ones.... I think this year I'll shoot for the last week of Sept to get up the Fall decor up. That's when the crisp nights start here. The leaves don't really change til mid-October.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I decorate for fall, then add in Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff as they arrive. I use a variety of real and artificial leaves, plants, flowers and pumpkins/gourds. Fall is one of my favorite times of year. I have leaf garlands around the doors, mums in urns, a fall wreath on the door, and pumpkins in front of the urns. I put out scarecrows, pumpkins and mums on the back stoop. I put orange welcome lights in the windows.

Inside, I put out scarecrows, my fall bears, change the greenery to fall colored silks, put a fall centerpiece on the tables and entertainment center. I have so much stuff that it's hard to recall. :slap:

I'll be sure to post pictures on my blog this fall.

Lisa

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I decorate for Fall and Halloween heavily. I use lots of fall colored faux leaves, pumpkins, scarecrows, faux flowers in dark red and orange and red berries, etc. I have a ton of Halloween decorations, and I do mean a ton. This year I plan on making a lot of decorations for inside the house and of course, i'll put up my favorites but I think i'll tone it down this year.....maybe. LOL I love holiday decorations. I also use orange lights and I have bat and pumpkin lights for outside. I had a hay bale last year but I doubt i'll do that again this year. I'll also be doing the circle of ghosts again. I did it last year and it was definitely a learning experience.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I put up my Fall decorations in Sept and leave them until it's time for Christmas ones...although I do add and they take away Halloween and Thanksgiving specific items...

My Fall decor items include...

A large artificial wreath over the downstairs mantle, using wheat, silk leaves, Indian corn, etc. The colors are wheat and several shades of golden, from burnt orange to a darker shade used for the corn. It looks very pretty!

On the mantle ledge itself I want play with a couple options this year. I have an assortment of hurricane globes, vases, etc.

Someone on this site (or the OC) described filling the bottom of these clear containers with candy corn, and then adding a candle. I think that would be so pretty!

And then twining some berry garland all around the bases? Maybe mixing in some pretty candle sticks?

I'll have to experiment... :grin:

I put one large white ceramic pumpkin (aged look) on top of an antique ice box we have in that same room.

I do a side table arrangement in the downstairs hallway with two other white ceramic pumpkins and a wooden scarecrow figure.

Upstairs in the dining room I have a large, shallow green glass platter that I fill with either real or artificial guords and mini pumpkins.

I usually add leaf garland with orange and white lights to run along the back of the mantle in this room.

And I have misc. fall knick knacks that I put out here and there...

Metal candle holders made of twisting leaves painted in fall colors...

A small stuffed squirrel doll bought at a festival years ago, very country looking and oh so cute...

Wooden letters I painted and added sparkle to that spell the word "Boo!"...

Etc., etc....

Outside I have potted mums. 6 this year, 1 I saved inside over the winter and 5 more I just bought.

I'm trying to grow pumpkins this year, but only one has really gottens started. Tons of blossoms on my plants, just not alot of action... :frown:

I'd like to do some hay bales on the front porch, maybe some more orange lights...but I'm not sure what I will actually end up getting done!

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
I haven't decorated for fall, but I just bought a new condo and am looking forward to decorating (on a budget) this year. Will definitely be hitting the Dollar Tree. I'm looking forward to reading more about how you all decorate to get ideas!!

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Oh, I love, love, love getting out my Fall decorations! I have a small village I set up on my fireplace mantle--just 3 buildings, a few trees & figurines (people). Then I have some candles that look like Indian Corn that I put on the mantle too. Across the front of the mantle, I put a string of red mini-lights then layer a silk leave garland over them. I like to put pumpkins all over the place, too. On my dining room table I have a beautiful quilted table runner made from Fallish material and a ceramic pumpkin with a Fall flower arrangement in it. I have small scarecrows I scatter all around, too. Outside I hang a pretty fall wreath on the front door & drape a leaf garland around the door. Then I have a big flower pot near the front door that I stick a big scarecrow in & surround him with faux sunflowers. On the other side of the door I have a yard stake that is a miniature rake & a sign that says "Happy Fall" on it. I have several sets of different kinds of Pilgrims that I set around for Thanksgiving, too. Hmmm...there's probably more, but I'm just not thinking of it all right now! LOL!

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
I am afraid that I am addicted to Fall decorating! I start putting stuff out the day after labor day. Outside I set up a corn shock on either side of our front steps. I tie those with fall ribbon and tuck chinese lanterns and bittersweet in the ribbon. Around the base of the shocks I put tons of pumpkins and gourds (we grow our own). I also get a bushel basket of mums every year and set them by the step. By the front door I hang a big sign that says "Autumn Blessings" on it. I also hang a bunch of Indian Corn on the front door. Inside the house I put out baskets of gourds. I put silk autumn leaves all over the house. I twine bittersweet vine above the cabinets. I also have a ton of decorative pumpkins and scarecrows I set out. I always fill the house up with pumpkin scented candles and potpourri. I have some Autumn themed decorating books that I set on my end table and I set out my collection of Fall themed Gooseberrypatch cookbooks in the kitchen The house is usually filled with the smell of simmering hot apple cider and various apple or pumpkin desserts baking too! Come the first week of October I start adding Halloween items, but now that my kids are mostly grown I seem to go more with the basic Fall decor. :jack:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Outside we put up cornstalks outside around the front yard lamp post and at the end of the step railings. Hay bales in the front yard surrounded by small pumpkins. Fall candles, candle holders, silk flowers, small ceramic bears dressed up in halloween costumes inside. A large plastic lite up pumpkin for the front steps. We plan on buying more decorations this year.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I never USED to decorate very much for fall. I have way too much Christmas stuff taking up all my storage space. but after hearing everyone talk about their decorations last year on the OC boards, you all were a bad influence on me and I bought more. :-D
I have a large scarecrow that I put on the front door along with some pumpkins. He used to hold a little black crow. Along with some real pumpkins, I have a couple lighted grapevine pumpkins of differents sizes I like to put outside. After hearing talk about mums, I'm going to have to get some of those this year too.

Inside.... over the fireplace, I have a very large grapevine wreath that I added lights and a simple berry garland. The berries are a very muted pale red and blend in with the fall colors. I can add leaves or a scarecrow etc. to it for fall and christmassy stuff to it during Christmas. I have fairly big sized ceramic gourd that I usually put on the mantel along with some candles and a couple white pears. I bought a metal sign last year that says BLESSINGS, painted in different fall colors that I also put on the mantel. On the coffee table I have a pumpkin that is covered with some kind of dried something?? but I really like it. I just bought a yellow candle that smells like caramel pears that I place in a glass hurricane type candle holder. In the kitchen I have a large ceramic pumpkin I put on my kitchen counter next to the stove. I have a hanging flower basket on my pot rack that I put some silk floral stems that look like dried puff balls (probably has another name but not sure what) I have them in a burnt orange color and a wheat color. Which ever color I don't use in the basket, I use in either another vase I have by the kitchen sink or sometimes put them in my glass candle sconces on the sides of my dining room window. The sconces hold either candles or flowers. I wanted to grow some Italian white sunflowers this year but never got around to buying the seeds. I wanted to put them in a skinny galvanized flower bucket on the table behind my living room couch and in the vase I have by the kitchen sink). I also have a Pottery Barn table runner that I love for Thanksgiving. It has a yellow background with red, orange, and white floral print. There are 6 coordinating floral napkins, but each have a different print. I can use the runner on the dining room table, but I usually put it across the kitchen island where I serve the appetizers and use the napkins to line the bread baskets etc.

For Halloween I don't like the creepy decorations but I can't seem to resist the cute things with funny eyes. For the two weeks before Halloween I put a cute Frankenstein on my front door, a funny eyed bat windsock in the front window. Some spooky eye window clings in the front window. I have a light up rock that has eyes and a wood sign that I place in a tall empy pot by the front door that has eyes and says "enter if you dare". I love the letters that spell BOO idea and might put that on my mantel along with my kids rubber spiky balls that have eyes and hang them around the wreath. Here is a picture of some of the other fall decorations I bought last year. http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/jinglemom3/Fall decorations/

meredithfive

MHH Member
Aug 2, 2008
Fall is my favorite Season to decorate for. I usually keep it Fall Decorations and not Halloween, just because I can decorate and leave it up for a long time.

My favorite decoration of the season is Fresh Potted Mums (I usually get about 3 big pots of them) surrounded by Pumpkins. I've gotta admit this is my weakness. I spend WAY too much money on gorgeous Mums and giant pumpkins that seem to call my name. I like to put these near my door each year. I actually dread when my boys want to carve one of my precious pumpkins because after that I feel like something is missing in my decorations.

My other item that tops the list of my Fall items is a Yankee Candle in the Pumpkin Pie scent. I just have to light these almost everyday. I love the way it instantly smells like Fall when I light it. I think I'll go dig one out now to take my mind off the 100 degree temp. outside and remind me that Fall is around the corner!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Hey, Meredithfive! Glad to see you join us...you know you can always call your cousin for more pumpkins, if you need them! LOL!! Welcome to MHH...it's lots of fun here!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
I am going to take a less is more approach to my fall decorating this year, I think. I am thinking quality over quantitiy. Very ususual for me, but the reason is that I have to take everything down that I put up! And I'm usually eager to get to Christmas decorating, so I get impatient with my fall undecorating. So this year, I'll pare it down a bit and see if that works better.

Of course, I'll have pumpkins, mums and ferns everywhere-on the front porch, the front flowerbeds, the back porch, the back flowerbeds and at the entrances for the Boo!Bash2. I also like to have a few pots of mums and pumpkins in the house, on the hearth and/or mantle, in the kitchen and little ones in the bathrooms.

If you skip over the the Haunted Hamletyou can see how I plan to decorate the front and back exterior doors. I'm sure other things will evolve as I put out stuff. Of course I'll have fall scented candles, soft throws and pillows, and fall leaves on everything. Who am I kidding? There will be no paring down! I'll go all out, like always! LOL!