Decorating for Fall

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I think I've said all this before somewhere on here! I don't really decorate for Halloween. We live in the boonies, and have no trick-or-treaters. I just decorate for Fall. I usually have grapevine wreaths on the front and back doors. The back one has corn, etc., on it for the birds and squirrels, and the front one has leaves, berries, and a bow in fall colors. The urns on the front porch have ivy and mums in them. Inside I use 2 swags with grapevines, faux pomegranates, berries, leaves, nuts on the table. I got them at Pottery Barn a couple of years ago. They were pretty pricey, but can be used for years, and look so elegant. I remove them for Thanksgiving sometimes, and use a wooden turkey decoy with dried leaves and nuts for my centerpiece. I use a small faux swag under the mantel, and a sheaf of wheat, brass candlesticks, and faux pumpkins on the mantel. I use a few small baskets of mums around the house, too, and add pillow covers in fall colors on the sunporch. That's about it. I can hardly wait!

:friendly:

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
Hi everyone...

I do quite a bit of decorating... I start out October 1 and outside put real mums in all my pots, a mix of fake and real pumpkins uncarved with corn stalks and hay bales. I have tons of garland, all types for fall that go in all my main floor rooms with the hearth covered in fake fall leaves and orange and white lights. I have many fake pumpkins indoors also. After halloween, I simply get rid of the scarey decorations in and out, leave the fall looking ones, and pumpkins with faces, just get turned around, so you dont see their faces, but still see the pumpkins. I have a few figurines for Thanksgiving and all my Thanksgiving teapots come out in my dining room.. At this time, I also change all my curtains to my velvet ones and my bedding to the heavy and darker fall quilts. All those items stay like that till I decorate for Easter and all the spring and summer bedding and curtains come back out....

Im a holiday "freak" in a good way... :party:

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Hi!

Fall....mmmmmm....can you smell the change in the air? Time to snap out of it....still hot summer here in Iowa....BUT....

I'm a scarecrow fanatic when it comes to fall decorating inside & out. That coupled w/pumpkins, straw bales, leaves, pumpkins & mums....can't wait. I found a mini leaf rake, (about 3ft long) at the Goodwill a couple of years, so I put a pile of leaves with rake sitting next to it---leaning against my holiday tree. Now the tree is an evergreen mind you, but I poke pheasant feathers & fall leaves into the branches, along with some sprigs of fall berries & misc. fall stuff...it looks pretty ok. Oh, yeh....white lights. Add the scents of pumpkin pie, vanilla & cinnamon candles....yum. C'mon over for some cider or hot coffee! Lest not forget our Annual Hayride + Chili CookOff in October. Then the Halloween stuff starts sneeking in! ;-)

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Pippi said:
Hi!

Fall....mmmmmm....can you smell the change in the air? Time to snap out of it....still hot summer here in Iowa....BUT....

Oh yes, I have also noticed some small changes already... despite of our hot weather at the moment...

days are getting shorter...
first pumpkins in the supermarket...
Then, within the next 2 or 3 weeks you will have dew on the grass and the evenings/nights are getting colder a little
bit

I love these changing seasons!!!

Chilli

ChristmasCheerleader

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
I can't wait! Fall decorating is just as exciting as Christmas decorating to me!

Elf In Training, I'll take you up on that hayride and cider! Nights have been cooling down a little the last couple of days even though the day is hot, hot, hot.

My mums are starting to bloom and my pumpkin is turning orange. Can't be too long now!

Janabanana

Retire Member
Jul 19, 2008
jana-janascreations.blogspot.com
This is just a small portion of my fall/halloween decore. I LOVE the vintage look, so here are a few of my things.. I will take more pics this year when I decorate the first week in Sept.. Its my second favorite holiday so I go all out.. but here you can see a small portion of what I do

http://janabananasbabbling.blogspot.com ... riday.html

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love your blog Janabanana.... your children are the cutest too!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Wow, such great ideas from everyone! I have a large shelf that runs the length of our living room and I'd love to get in the habit of doing a "mantle" every month to fit the season/celebration.

I'm on a really tight budget right now but some of your ideas are so simple!

I never would have thought of decorating with candy! I'm thinking I may take some mason jars and filled them with candy corn, roasted nuts, pumpkin seeds etc. and top them with a round of fall fabric and a nice bow...um....that's shabby chic right? Half right? Maybe put some kind of leaves up there and a wicker basket of gourds......okay so it's not a good plan yet, but the spark is there.
lol.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I do small things by September 1st and build up over the next couple of months.

~I have a pottery pitcher that sits on the back of the toilet, filled with eucalyptus. For fall, I add silk fall leaves.
~I change the ribbon that ties my kitchen curtains back. Right now it's a red check ribbon but for autumn I will change it to a leaf pattern ribbon.
~I decorate the top of the tv with an autumn candle ring and burn spice scented candles, but as the month of Oct. progresses, I bring out the Jim Shore witches and ghost figures.
~I also have silk garlands of fall leaves that I drape over my curtain rods and over doors.

I don't go-all-out for autumn but I DO for Halloweeen!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I decorate generically for fall but in November I add a few Thanksgiving decorations. I've even started planning how to decorate my apartment.

Front Door Area. I just bought a red metal wagon from Michael's on sale for $15 but when the cashier rang it up, it was marked down again to $12. I'm going to cover my door with orange wrapping paper. I hope to find metallic orange or bronze paper (any suggestions?). Hang my two-in-one wreath I made last year on the door. Drape fall garland around door frame with orange lights. Next to the door will be my new wagon with fall fabric that will hang over wagon onto the floor. I'm going to add faux pumpkins, gourds, fall leaves inside and around the wagon. I saw a large carved pumpkin that says "Welcome Friends" at Walmart for $9 that I will pick up today to sit next to wagon. Inside the wagon amongst the smaller pumpkins and gourds will be a friendly scarecrow. Finally put out my fall welcome mat.

Foyer. A pumpkin floral arrangement I made last year will sit on the small pedestal. I also have a console table which displays a few family photos. I plan to drape some fall garland among the photos and place two small hurricane candle holders at either end. Also on the table will sit a brass vase filled with dried wheat. I need to replace the area rug. It has seen better days.

I got sleepy before I could finish writing the details for my livingroom (That happens to me a lot :rotflol: ). I hope to finish that today as well as the other areas in my apartment.

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I tend to concentrate more on fall than halloween. I don't have enough storage space so I can't have everything I want. I like to use th ings outside that I can throw away after fall.
I've always wanted to stack three pumpkins and paint th em white for Christmas but they never last long enough. I have an indian corn hanging thingy I put on the front door. I love faux pumpkins inside and group th em together on my bar. I have two ceramic ones that I may put on the back deck because they wouldn't blow off. I love spice candles starting in the fall and going through Christmas into spring.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I will put down summer decoration this week. After holiday (last week of September) I will start with my decoration for fall.
This year I plan a fall wreath as well as I will decorate with pumpkins, leaves, chestnuts and dried corncobs.

Chilli (already looking forward to her holiday in Boston and Toronto.... :grin: )

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Well I did my fall decorating on Saturday and Sunday...my hubby and I finished painting our kitchen nook and wall were our front door are...the rest of the family room and kitchen are a very light green, almost minty...yet alittle sagey? does that make sense? Anyway, the nook and the wall are now a much deeper version of the green...it looks awesome! I also put up a curtain rod above the little windows in the eating nook and used three fall colored striped kitchen towels as the curtain-well valance...I bought those little clips for curtain rods that look like clothes pins...then I put a coordinating napkin in the center of our small round table in the nook and put a pumpkin that holds a candle on top.

On top of my kitchen cupboards, I put up my fall foilage...I also have three canisters centered on the cupboards and I put napkins that match the valance sticking out of them to tie it all together!

My adjoining family room has a really cozy arrangement of furniture with fall colored throw pillows and a pumpkin orange fuzzy blanket on a chair. My little side table has an arrangement with a lamp, a pretty pumpkin plate that is in dark brown on a stand, a pumpkin shaped candle that is in a very dark orange...almost brown, and then a little leaf glass thing...it's all a little grouping!

My fireplace mantle looks great! I have a big framed fall print that ties in all of the colors hanging above and then on one side I have this big brown vase with fall sticks with little berries sticking out, and then a big green leaf plate on a stand next to it...then on the other side I found a pumpkin that is made out of wire...

The whole place looks so warm and cozy! I love it!

I will be working on the outside the end of September when it cools down a little...we are in the Dallas area and it is HOT!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Holidaymama your decorations really do sound nice. I was tempeted to start putting up my outdoor fall decorations this weekend after cleaning off my balcony.

If you can you should take pictures and join us when we start the tour of homes. It originally was going to be pics of our homes decorated for Christmas but it was asked and received good response for people to show off their homes for Fall/Halloween too.

Janabanana

Retire Member
Jul 19, 2008
jana-janascreations.blogspot.com
aggy said:
If you can you should take pictures and join us when we start the tour of homes. It originally was going to be pics of our homes decorated for Christmas but it was asked and received good response for people to show off their homes for Fall/Halloween too.

How fun! I will be joining this for sure :)

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
OOh, I so want to decorate for fall! I've done a few little things, but nothing major yet. My fall tubs are in the storage shed in the back yard, and it's raining buckets and the wind is blowing at about 15-20 mph right now, thanks to Gustav! And, it's supposed to continue for the rest of the week. So...I'm just dragging out the things I have in the house and sticking them around.

Speaking of the Fall Tour of Homes, when do you want to do that one? I was thinking if we do it around the middle of October most folks will have their Halloween stuff up, right? And then we can always do a "round 2" if people want to show their Thanksgiving or other fall stuff...does that make sense?

So..I'm going to start a new thread with a poll and we'll see when everyone wants to do it.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Do you remember when I told you that I will start my fall decoration in the last week of September?
Well, I changed it now - I started yesterday evening :grin:

With fall wreath, lots of pumpkins, corncobs, etc - I love it!!!!

And my hubby made some jokes about it as we have hot summer weather here again...

Chilli