Decorating for Fall

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Sleighlady

Retire Member
Sep 3, 2008
I decorate a LOT for fall. I pile gourds, leaves and pumpkins on the mantles. I have baskets of silk fall flowers, gourds etc everywhere.

I'm not that much into Halloween decorating. I have a few little ceramic Jack-o-lanterns and a large one that plugs in, but that's about it. I just add them to my Fall decorations.

I keep my fall stuff out until the day after Thanksgiving. Right now I'm itching to decorate, but I try to make myself hold off till October, most years I only make it till near the end of September. ~~ Gail

Cinnamonstix

Retire Member
Sep 4, 2008
NB, Canada
You gals make me jealous...I have a lighted pumpkin and Ghost i put out the week of Hallowe'en but have never really decorated for fall...which is a shame since I have a farm with hay bales and corn stalks :slap:

I'm thinking of making a nice wreath for the front door and maybe getting a pot of mums though...we all have to start somewhere.

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
Help Help Help. I need ideas. I live WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up north in canada so we have no Shopping options up here except internet. I think I will have to learn to be crafty. Any ideas?

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
jodilee10128 said:
Help Help Help. I need ideas. I live WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up north in canada so we have no Shopping options up here except internet. I think I will have to learn to be crafty. Any ideas?

I'll see if I can help. Try making a few wreaths. Take a look around outside your home or area.
* You can make wreaths from grape vines.
* Fill a basket with pinecones that have fallen from the pinetrees.
* Visit the local flee market or nursery and pick up some potted fall plants like mums. Or get a bunch of Sunflowers or dried cattails to fill a vase. (You may be able to find cattails as well as other things like wild grasses on the side of the road. However make sure it's okay to take them).
* Visit an apple farm if there's one near you and pick some apples. Fill a basket or nice ceramic bowl with them and use as a centerpiece on your kitchen or diningroom table. (Don't forget to make a nice dessert or candied apples). There's a lot you can do with apples. Cut up the bad ones into whole slices, take a small paintbrush and coat them with a little water and lemon juice, leave them out to dry. Then you can make an apple wreath by gluing the sliced apples on cardboard cut-out in a circle or square. Then dress it up with a red & white check bow. (Got this idea from HGTV - holiday program)
* Get a few pumpkins. You and the kids could carve funny or scary faces on them and sit them outside your front door.
* Fill a bowl with fall scented potpourri to give your house a nice fall smell. Or you can make your own. In a small pot simmer water, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange slices or apple slices.

That's all I could come up with right now. I'm still trying to wake up. LOL

wantabe

Retire Member
Jan 11, 2008
Southwest Georgia
I decorate mostly for Halloween--not just Fall. Last year I made a smallish graveyard that had a short (about 8 inches high) plastic white fence around it. DH made me some aged tombstones that we painted some old dates on. We added the tombstones along with some cobwebs inside the fence. It looked pretty cool to me. Last year after Halloween I found some 4 foot blow up tombstones that had pop up ghost for $1.25!! I bought all they had--around 6 ( I think)!! I need to plan out my layout for this year--soon.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I am so far behind where I normally am at this time of year...I'm ready to get going. I need DH's help to drag out the fall stuff, so I'm hoping that either tonight or Thursday night we can get it out, and then I'll have a whole weekend to get it decorated. All this rain and hurricane business has really put a kink in my plans!!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I plan to put up most of my fall decor this weekend. The heat is finally gone with thems in the 70's the next six days (Friday will only get up to 68 :pink: ). I think fall has officially arrived here :party: .