February 2021 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My decluttering plan for this month is the basement. I started on one side of the basement and tackled some of the boxes of teaching items that I've had sitting for the last year and a half. I think I've entered a new season of life and won't go back to teaching. It was hard though because of the memories connected to the items. I made/gathered these items to use with my own children before using them with my students. I sorted through most of the stuff but I have more decisions to make. More boxes went to recylcing.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
My decluttering plan for this month is the basement. I started on one side of the basement and tackled some of the boxes of teaching items that I've had sitting for the last year and a half. I think I've entered a new season of life and won't go back to teaching. It was hard though because of the memories connected to the items. I made/gathered these items to use with my own children before using them with my students. I sorted through most of the stuff but I have more decisions to make. More boxes went to recylcing.
I watched these on Sentimental Decluttering ..... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ-AWUEixtg1LjT7DZQNWoaZiRvTl03PN

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
On Feb 10 the Vietnam Veterans will be doing a pick up here. I already have three bags full. I have yet to inform DH about it but hope that he can add to the pack.

Sometimes I feel that I am just discarding/recycling my stuff and his remains at the same level. Although to be fair, he has gotten rid of some of his work clothes.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Holiday Mom, a donation of your teaching items would be a great gift to a new teacher starting out.
Lana, decluttering never stops, After I get through with the 2 closets this week I would like to go room by room and look to see what I can declutter. I know since the last big purge we can do more. I am done with "just in case items". I am a creative person and able to find other ways to accomplish what I want. Also, I have friends I can borrow from.
I will continue with the pictures sorting and identifying. DD keeps suggesting I digitize them but not interested. Will shop online for albums.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am done with "just in case items".
This is where I am at. I have so many things here that I think I will hold on to just in case. I have party supplies and decor for the parties that we no longer have. I have made the decision to get it out of here, free up space. If I need something down the track, like you I will borrow it or buy it new or just plain use what I have instead.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sometimes I feel that I am just discarding/recycling my stuff and his remains at the same level.
Debbie, this I think is universal. DH cleaned his wardrobe recently and threw out 3 or 4 pairs of socks and a tee shirt. He is still wearing the same 15 year old shorts even though he has some new ones he can wear. I am just not sure they see things the same way we do.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Debbie, this I think is universal. DH cleaned his wardrobe recently and threw out 3 or 4 pairs of socks and a tee shirt. He is still wearing the same 15 year old shorts even though he has some new ones he can wear. I am just not sure they see things the same way we do.
I think DH and I are the opposite. He has no problem getting rid of everything he has and thinking it should all replaced. I, on the other hand, have clothes, panties, shoes, I have had for over 10 years. I literally have panties I've had since DD23 was little.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
my Feb goal is the spare room. I started on it, last week. but I am done, adding all the go to town stuff down there. Its in the basement. I have been known to box things, then pack down there till later... NOPE,,,,, no more till later.. as I get a bag or box, its going in my car & out the door, immediately .... so since I do not have to do diner tonight, hubby is grilling in this 45 degrees weather. I am going too do some updating on pc & declutter... Have a great one peeps...

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at this too. I haven't had a chance to sit and watch videos yet. Maybe this weekend...
This is where I am at. I have so many things here that I think I will hold on to just in case. I have party supplies and decor for the parties that we no longer have. I have made the decision to get it out of here, free up space. If I need something down the track, like you I will borrow it or buy it new or just plain use what I have instead.
Yes, this is part of what I was dealing with yesterday and today. We have shelves for entertaining supplies. I love to have parties but things have changed over the last few years. I looked at what I had and asked myself, "Did I use it in the last year or two?" If not, it went into the box. It was hard.

I spoke to my mom about it. They downsized 14 years ago. She said that if I need it down the road, I could look for those items at a thrift store. The other thing she did was take those few boxes of items that she had a hard time parting to the smaller house. Once the move happened, she opened up the boxes she didn't want to part with and decided that she really didn't need those things and she donated them.

The way I'm approaching things right now is as if I have to move in the next few months. (We are not moving.) Do I want to take this with me? Do I really want to pack this up, move it, and unpack it? If no, then it goes in the box. I have a few things that I am on the fence about but I put it in the box anyway. If I change my mind in the next few weeks, I can take it out.

I went through all the shelves I wanted to get to this week. I have a number of things ready for the thrift store. I organized the shelves as well. In the process, I moved some baskets up to the pantry and just finished decluttering those shelves.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My plan for Feb is to keep decluttering little by little. Whether it's decluttering the dust, cobwebs, emails, clothes, papers etc. I can see a difference being made little by little.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I spent the morning with Mum yesterday and started decluttering her craft room. My Mum has always jumped on the latest fad bandwagon and then goes all out. She has containers full of washi tape but has never used it. She has stickers and rub ons and beads....a lot of stuff. We went through a lot, donated some, threw some out and have sorted some into upcoming projects which we will get to in the next few weeks.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
The consignment shop is accepting spring/summer clothes. I have one bag ready to go. There are several other bags that have a mixture of all seasons that I need to go through and get out the spring/summer so I can take them tomorrow. Ready for those bags to go!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I worked in the basement some more. I decided to move onto next week's area since I'm in a good grove. I have two grocery bags of trash and a small box for donation. Dd has a friend who graduated college in December. He is going to pick up some books tomorrow. I'm also putting in some more items that he may/may not want. If he doesn't want them, they will come back home and be placed in the donation box.

I have a lot of things in the basement that get used once a year for vacation. It's been easier to keep those items in storage but I'm wondering if I should continue. For example, I have old towels and sheets for when we rent. In addition, I have laundry soap, dish washing soap and liquid soap all set to go. I'm torn because it's a matter of freeing up space or freeing up time. I'll have to think on this more.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
The dresser that I had taken to mil's house (was supposed to be given with the house but buyer backed out), was donated today. The guy also picked up another dresser at mil's house. So it's not declutter out of my house but it's declutter that won't end up coming back here if the house sells!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Tossed out 26 bottles of old fingernail polish! Why do I want to hold on to old polish that I no longer use. Some was a crackle polish that was starting to crackle in the bottle. lol

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I went through my office file cabinets and reorganized some thing by putting them in 3 ring binders that are too small. They will stay there until I find larger binders. I have a basket of things left that need go home or find a home. Some of it is from Mom's house.
I need to do my closet next because I have to many sweaters to fit the dresser drawers now. Mom has a lot of nice ones that fit me. They will fit on the closet shelves nicely but I am hoping to find the sweater organizers at $ Tree to keep them from falling.

Once the closet is done I will go room to room pulling things I no longer use and send it to the thrift store or garbage. Hopefully, by the time I am done with that I can start cleaning the winter dirt and dust from the house. With a goal of finishing by Easter. I think I can get it done by then. Fingers crossed.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I donated two boxes of books and some educational toys to a recent education graduate. I tossed out some items that were broken and added a few more to the donate box.

Today I bought 4 extra large Sterilite bins to put on the bottom shelves. Currently, all shelves have items on them but none are in bins. I discovered that Sterilite bins can only take light weight items compared to Rubbermaid Totes. I filled one bin with all paper goods. The second bins is filled with themed party supplies. The third bin is filled with costumes. The fourth bin was going to be filled with the air mattresses and air pumps but it was too heavy. I moved those items into two Rubbermaid totes and stacked them on the basement floor. I called it a night at that point. I will work on the fourth bin tomorrow. :)