February 2021 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
I have one bag of clothing ready to go as soon as I am near a donation site. Today and tomorrow I am working on consolidating some of my craft items and hope reduce them by half. I enjoy reading all of your endeavors and am finding lots of inspiration. I keep telling myself I don't need more storage, I need less stuff.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I took a box and shopping bag of things to DS's house including pictures, and craft items for the dgds.

I have removed several pairs of pants, shirts and purses from my drawers and closet. So happy to have that done. I will now go room by room and see what is not necessary to have, too much stuff!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have a box of fall floral décor ready to go. I went through the craft section and filled a grocery bag with items we aren't using. I also added more glassware and decorative bowls. I had saved them from the donation pile a few back when I started in the basement. Each time I see them, I think where can I use them and when. Today I decided it was a nice dream to think of when I was going to use them but the reality is, they haven't been used in two years and I don't know when I'm going to have the time to use them for crafting or parties.

School is doing a clothing and more donation fundraiser in two months. They are accepting clothing, sheets, towels, curtains, tablecloths and stuffed animals. I will set aside those items for the fundraiser and the rest will go to the donation center as soon as I'm done going through the boxes and cabinets in the basement. I'm really excited about the fundraiser. It's another good excuse for clearing the clutter.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I ended up working on sorting through some totes that I wasn't even going to touch this go around. They are mostly baby clothes and blankets. After much sorting and talking and decision making, I'm going to keep most of it. The rest will be donated.

I have two more totes from the back middle to go through and then one more section in the front middle to deal with and I'll be done my initial goal for February. I think after this, I will tackle the holiday boxes.

Question for everyone - Have you limited what you store/stored of your child's sentimental items until they moved out on their own? I have one Rubbermaid Tote per child right now but I will have to get a second one for the items I found while decluttering.

Reactions: Lana and jampss

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Question for everyone - Have you limited what you store/stored of your child's sentimental items until they moved out on their own? I have one Rubbermaid Tote per child right now but I will have to get a second one for the items I found while decluttering.
Once they moved out they looked over what I had either taking what they wanted and the rest was donated. I did keep photos but will be unloading photos to DS this coming year.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I ended up working on sorting through some totes that I wasn't even going to touch this go around. They are mostly baby clothes and blankets. After much sorting and talking and decision making, I'm going to keep most of it. The rest will be donated.

I have two more totes from the back middle to go through and then one more section in the front middle to deal with and I'll be done my initial goal for February. I think after this, I will tackle the holiday boxes.

I had an under the bed tote for DD28 and DS17's clothes. Then I had a tote in DD's closet of toys and artwork. We went through that when she was moving to VT. She kept a few outfits of hers, donated the rest, she kept a few toys and donated the rest, and she took some pics of some artwork and then tossed. We laughed and cried (maybe that was just me doing the teary eyes) and it was a good time.

We she and I did Marie Kondo ... I got two medium totes for me, DH, and DS to put sentimental items in. DH's has one of the now empty under the bed tote from DD for his items. DS and I have a tote stored in his closet and in the computer/crochet room respectively for our stuff. The baby clothes for DS is now in his tote ... and DH's baby clothes!!! Yes, his ma gave us some of his clothes when DD was born!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
3 large garbage bags will be dropped off at the charity bin today. Clears out some space in my craft room and means I can keep decluttering.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to find a healthy balance without regrets. I don't know if that is possible. LOL!

I ended up labeling the handmade baby blankets and clothes with who made the item, how they were connected to the family and who gets that item. I had to send pictures to my mom to confirm who crocheted or knitted the items. It was a five hour ordeal but it is done. :)

I added more clothes and towels to the donation bags. I decided against going through the holiday boxes for now. I have one more section to go through tomorrow and then I need to get the basement put back together. Totes are scattered and there are a number of boxes that haven't even made it upstairs because I ran out of space. I'm going to see if the donation center is open next week. If so, I'm going to try to get there in the early part of the week.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
So I brought 2 Valentine decoration totes home to go through and boy, it's been FOREVER since I was in those boxes. I'm keeping half of it, tossing a few stuffed animals that had some gross stuff on them and donating the rest. Some of the stuff I was like...What were you thinking, that's just UGLY...lol You see stuff like that and it also reminds you how trends change. I mean Valentines has been so in your face, red, white, and pink forever and now it's morphed into decor that fits into your current decor and I like that. It makes transition a little easier.
I also pulled a couple hats that have never fit well and some scarfs I've literally never worn.
Once again, I'm at that point where I just need NEW stuff in my life. Now it doesn't have to be expensive stuff, just DIFFERENT stuff.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Hadn’t planned on cleaning ang purging my sewing room now as I am making 2 quilts but I was attacked by some major dust bunnies, I will breath easier with the dust gone. Since I have to take everything down to clean I’ll pitch too. I now have 5 piles going- trash, charity donation, to my friend Lynn, to my cousin Anna, and my fried Debbie who is new to sewing. Today I start going through my fabric. I already have several pieces I know need to go out the door.
And yes, it’s funny how our tastes change. I have no clue what I was thinking when I bought some of this fabric.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

I have totes with things that belonged to our children. We have one of those portable storage sheds that you buy and it's delivered to your house. While I didn't want it filled up with that kind of stuff, I kept whatever I wanted to keep. This is one of those areas that I think each person has to deal with at their own level. I realize I can't/shouldn't keep everything that belonged to my children, but I kept the things that had strong sentimental value to me. If there was something I was on the fence about, I kept it. I can always get rid of it later, but I can't get it back if I do get rid of it. There were certain things that I let them go through, and if they wanted to take it to their house, that's what they did. Those things were things that I knew meant more to them than they did to me. They each have their own homes, now, so I sent home with them those things they wanted that didn't have meaning to me. If they want it, it goes to their house...it's on them! If I want it, it stays at my house...it's on me! You keep what's comfortable for you. If you have room for...however many...totes for each of your children's stuff, it's your choice.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I didn't get to the basement declutter due to time constraints. :( I did declutter a kitchen drawer.

I found out that one of the donation centers has stopped accepting donations since Jan 27th. They are going to open up donations again in March. Another place will take donations this Tuesday but will close acceptance of items as soon as they fill up their quarantine shed. (They have 3 sheds for 3 donation days.) My mom went at 1 pm today and they were already full. I hope to drop things off there first thing on Tuesday. If they are full, then I will drop off donations to a third place. The third place sells the donations to a for-profit thrift store. Not ideal but these items for donations are not worthy of being tossed into the trash.

I can not wait to get this stuff out of the house. I have to make room for the next round of donations for the school fundraiser in April: towels, blankets, clothing, stuffed animals, bicycles, curtains, tablecloths and sheets. M

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, we have had hte same problem here since Covid hit. There used to be large bins at shopping centres that you could put your donations in 24/7. When Covid hit I think some charities were overcome with donations as people did huge culls while in lockdown. Now you have to drive to the charity centre and a volunteer will go through your donations and take what they want and you take the rest home. I am not keen on throwing good items in the garbage but feel like there is often no choice.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Goodness, not the case here. The Mennonite thrift shop is running at full speed. They are taking all the things they usually take. It’s not unusual to wait inline to drop off. It’s not unusual to wait in line to get into shop either. They sell stuff pretty quickly. I’m not sure about goodwill or Salvation Army as I haven’t been to either one lately.
I went through the majority of my fabric yesterday and today. I have 3 of the Hefty 15 quart storage containers full of fabric plus another big pile on the floor of the sunroom. Most of that will go to my 2 friends. Besides that there is a bag of fabric for my cousin. And a box of junk for the thrift shop. I still have my specialty fabrics to go through tomorrow I know of 3 of them that leaving already. I’m feeling pretty good about what I’ve done. I’m much better organized. And my storage bins are labeled. I can tell I’m in the mood to get rid of stuff. I’m actually letting go of some of my moms fabric. I know she would understand and my dad, I am sure would say “bout time” with a big grin on his face.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I do believe that we took 2 sacks of trash out this week-end and another bag is almost full! Going thru paper stuff and general cleaning. Threw out some shorts of Ryans that had for patching other pants, out went a portable DVD that didn't work good (got Teigan a new one).

Everybody is really clearing out. Hope I get alot more out before it is time to be outside working!!!!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
We take things to the Humane Society's thrift shop as that is where we got DS17's "therapy kitten, Axl". :) I'm not sure if they shut down for a while. Probably. But since last fall, I have dropped off stuff. In fact, I dropped off last week some of my de-cluttering and two other friends! I tell some mommy friends, "If you de-clutter, I will come haul it away for you!!!" :p

As I de-cluttered the kitchen drawers and put in some dollar store paper lining, I found some items I'm like ... I will never use this gadget! The drawers and shelves look nice, too!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have the items in the car ready for the thrift shop tomorrow. If they are closed, then I will drop off the really good stuff at my parents' place. They will take it for me the next time they go. The rest will then be dropped off at the other place.

I decluttered the shelves with medicine and toiletries. The funny thing is that I ended up going back out to the car and bringing glass jars and drawer organizers to use on the shelves. It looks so much better.