Gift Closet 2024

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Hope that you are finishing up your 2023 shopping! While I was able to find what I was looking for this year, the prices, yikes!! There were a few things I just didn’t buy.

For 2024 I have a tote full of movies, books and Christmas village pieces for my husband and son. I’ll be making canvas rugs for friends and cousin and have the kits I purchased in July.

Happy shopping for 2024!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have made a start.
Bath and body works had buy 3 get 3 free so I stocked up on hand soap and body wash. I will put some aside for Mum for Mother's day
I picked up some deodorant last week, that will go into stockings. I also have toothpaste and toothbrushes put aside.
The big department store near us has some great deals at the moment, got undies for $2 a pair..got DD a wax burner, melts, tea lights and an oil diffuser all in the same scent. It will make a nice gift.

Will spend the next few weeks writing lists, thinking about things, looking for any after Christmas bargains and hoping to get a good jump on the new year.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MM, good pick up. YC are expensive here but I will buy them when on a good sale.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Do you give a gift to your Mail person. I have done food from the kitchen in the past after asking if she would accept it. I am not sure what I want to do this year. What kinds of gifts to you give your mail person, trash pickup person, etc.?

Reactions: Lana and halimer

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
No we do not gift mail person (in fact we don't really have one there are community boxes at the end of our street where they deposit the mail). We do not gift hairdresser or any other.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
WE gift the letter carrier with a box of cookies - we chat with her fairly often.

We also give homemade treats to the people who work at our auto mechanic, doggie day care, periodontist, etc. Spreads a lot of goodwill.

Reactions: Lana

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Gifting our service people is not something we do. We don't have a regular postman or garbageman, we get a different person every week.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Do you give a gift to your Mail person. I have done food from the kitchen in the past after asking if she would accept it. I am not sure what I want to do this year. What kinds of gifts to you give your mail person, trash pickup person, etc.?
I have no idea who my mail person is; my mail is delivered to a central bank of mailboxes in my townhouse complex, so I've never met him/her. I see them drive by, heading to our mail bank, but we've never met. Same with our trash collection person. They pick-up early AM, before I'm up and around (ane I'm up early). At my last hair appointment of the year (typically mid-November or early Dec.), I'll double-tip my hairdresser and wish her a wonderful holiday season. I do the same for my pup's groomer.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I decide to give my mail carrier a box of chocolates good chocolates or a gift card to a fast food place near us and some Lindt chocolates. During the summers I will put in a cold bottle of water lemonade. She is really good to us and very friendly and helpful. We do get a substitute once in a while so I will have to watch for her to make sure she gets the gift rather than a sub. I know her by her first name and Iput her name on the gift. She always sends us a thank you note.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Warm fuzzy socks are now tucked away for the ladies on my shopping list. They were marked down at the gift shop and I had a coupon. Found a few more books for my son at the thrift shop.

Reactions: Lana and Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
A Lego train puzzle. A great quantity of socks.

Reactions: Lana and Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Warm fuzzy socks are now tucked away for the ladies on my shopping list
We generally get socks for Easter, just before Winter for us.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We gave the trash lady, ornament that lights up, seasoning salt and lotion we make, and a pint of honey from our hive. Mail lady got seasoning salt, a B&B candle and a Christmas wooden small set up thingy.
I don't tip at the beauty shop I just take them each a gift at Christmas.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I tip the trash people on the last pick up day before Christmas - we have three (trash, recycling, and yard waste) and it's sometimes a challenge to catch them! I give them each $25 in a card. There's no restriction in our area on giving gifts (cash or other) to the trash people.

I give our mail lady a gift of chocolates, a tin of (purchased) holiday cookies, or a candle since I found out that the postal service employees are not allowed to accept cash or gifts cards (seen as cash). I don't know how the postal service would ever know but I think it's best to stay within the rules.

I tip my hairdresser extra on my last appointment before Christmas (same as the trash people plus a box of chocolates).

I try to do the 100% RAK tip for wait staff at least once during the holiday season.

I stay away from home-made treats any more. There's just too many people with allergies or who live in a household with someone with allergies. Seems a shame to go to all the trouble of baking and then have them not be able to enjoy the treats. At least with a commercial box of chocolates or cookies, they can read the ingredients and re-gift them if there's an allergy issue.