January 2011 Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I really like the book mark idea. I could make some and give them to the girls at work.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have seen the spy jar im the store, matter of fact one of mine made it in preschool and they played w/ it forever. I think I will make them for my nephews this year. I bet they will like that. Start now and they can all be different. I need to make a list of what is in each one (label them so they know what to look for)

I asked the boys the other day if there was something we did,didnt' do that they did/didn't like at Christmas and they couldn't come up w/ any thing. Well except we didnt' go to Christmas Town at the amusement park and I hated missing that also but the snow messed us up this year. So I guess it's good they didn't have anything to add.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Kim-

I am doing Christmas Theme Eye Spy jar- I have collected mini Christmas items ("Merry Christmas" confetti, piece garland, presents, bows, green/red pom poms, variety of mini ornaments (candy canes/santa/bows/reindeer etc) I am using Peanut Butter jars and filling with sand (can use rice/bird seed) and placing 1 of each item then hot glueing lid- Going to make a list of items to attatch to jar. I am making one for variety of people.

Doing color ones for toddlers (using water bottle and putting in differnt colored pom poms)

Going to make one for each of the Holidays for the House to bring out each year.

Doing ones for birthday party favors using baby food jars and very small items from around the house (penny/paperclip/etc) like sweetpumkinpie mentioned.

Have done- farm/water/land animals, shapes, ABC.)

They are easy to make and lots of fun!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I am going to work on my NB this Rudy Day...I need to update my card list, print new gift lists, brainstorm ideas for CiJ and Christmas boxes. I also want to print out all of our photos from this Christmas. If I have time, I'd love to watch a movie...I never did get to watch the Santa Clause this year.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I want to make gift tags this year as well so I might work on that a bit for Rudy Day. Doesn't it seem like we have so much time to get all the fun things as well as the necessary things done for Christmas? But we all know before long it will be fall and we'll all be wondering where the winter, spring and summer went so the more we accomplish now the more fun we can have then!

great idea about making your own gift tags. i might try that

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
How Sweet!

I took all my Christmas cards and cut out the pictures and then I take construction paper and cut it to the size of a bookmark and put the picture on it and then laminate it. Then I punch a hole in it and tie ribbon on it. I give these out to my students at Christmas time. If I have large classes, I sometimes have to wait 2 years to have enough.

What a nice idea. I'm sure they are feeling special! I was almost thinking about buying the $1 Store boxed Christmas cards just to have cards to make the recycle baskets ... but I didn't. I like the book mark idea for next year!!

:fireplace:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Great ideas for Rudy Day! I never thought of doing bookmarks! I love that idea-This week is Family literacy week here-I bet I have somcards that are more 'wintry' and could be appropriate. The kids make them for their 'book buddies'.
there are some great ideas for cards in Martha's slideshow-TFS!
I've meant to try those spy jars-you can also do them as pillows, can't you? I think that would be a cool gift for my Niece(5) and Nephew(6). Thanks ladies! As always you are beyond inspirational!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
WOOHOO.....Tuesday is the first Rudolph Day of the Year.

I can't wait to hear what our movie selection will be and to work on setting up my notebook. I also have all my cards to go through one more time and cut apart ones for tags etc.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great ideas with the bookmark & spy jar.
I'm working on an advent calendar craft today :)

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I hope this hasn't been talked about, and I just missed it! Does anyone know a method of making gift tags or bookmarks from Christmas cards that has something to do with paper towels? I received a gift several years ago (like 20 years ago) that had a tag that was cut from a Christmas card. It was quite stiff, and the person who gave it to me said she'd made it with paper towels. I meant to ask how to do it later, but it never happened. The picture was quite clear, but I could faintly see the texture of a paper towel on it. Anybody know how?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Hmmm.....i have no idea but I wonder if they might use modge podge? It would soak through the paper towel I would think but eventually stiffen....

Don;t have any modge podge but when I get some new I'll try it and see.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Christmas Rose - My guess would have been modge podge also. Have you tried to google it? I'd be interested in it as well.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am hoping to actually get the tags made tomorrow evening. I have the old Christmas cards from this year, and I will use them up and get rid of the excess card quickly this year, which should keep DH happy too!!

baby steps will get us there with time to relax in December!!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Organizing my notebook!! Can't wait until tomorrow. Will have to go to Paris early so I will have time to play.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I have to work tomorrow so I think I will try to watch a Christmas movie tomorrow but I'll save the rest of my Rudy Day activities for this coming weekend. The boys will be gone for the weekend and I'll be able to work on various at my own pace.

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
Likewise, I want to watch a Christmas movie tomorrow evening. I'm waiting to see which one is selected for the month of January to see if I have it or not. If I do, then I'll watch it. If not, I'll either buy it or rent it. While I'm watching the movie I'll work on something Christmas.

:smilehearts:

pcousins13

Retire Member
Dec 2, 2010
I hope this hasn't been talked about, and I just missed it! Does anyone know a method of making gift tags or bookmarks from Christmas cards that has something to do with paper towels? I received a gift several years ago (like 20 years ago) that had a tag that was cut from a Christmas card. It was quite stiff, and the person who gave it to me said she'd made it with paper towels. I meant to ask how to do it later, but it never happened. The picture was quite clear, but I could faintly see the texture of a paper towel on it. Anybody know how?

Could this be it? Its says this lady uses dirty paper towels...but I thinkI would stick to the clean ones!

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-transform-dirty-paper-towels-into-artist-trading-cards-332040/