January Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I had such a great day today de cluttering. I am using the do I really need it and do I want to store it principle. It is amazing how much stuff I am getting rid of. I am sure that the charity shops will be happy too as there is some great stuff going their way.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I am definately in--

Move it out Monday (I will gather on Sunday and move it out on Monday)
Room Focus (Bedroom)
Mini Focus (Laundry)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good work on the decluttering ladies. it seems so much easier when we are doing it together.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just pulled down Christmas and found a few things to donate. I did not put out all of my decor this year and if we do not use it next year I will donate it. We will have to decide what to do with our outdoor lights and decor. We have not decorated for the past 2 years and I think that if we not going to decorate we should give the lights etc away. It would certainly clear up some space in the shed.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I pledge to declutter in January and love Move It Out Monday! I plan on putting a section in my notebook and plan my weeks. This house is so small, but we have way too much stuff accumilating!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I threw out the storage containers that did not have lids! How's that for decluttering.

Debbie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Debbie....every little bit helps. Where do all of those lids go? I always have containers but no lids.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Katrina and Debbie - I'm laughing so hard right now. I have plenty of containers AND lids...but most of them don't match each other. How is that possible????

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
another mystery that may or may not be solved in this decade....

Debbie

Patricia

Retire Member
So excited for change that I completed Move It Out Monday a day early!! A Rubbermaid tote full of serving pieces I never use, A GIGANTIC vase I've been lugging around for years, little decorative pieces I don't truly love....gone, all gone! I feel a lot lighter already!!

BUT, does anyone else feel a sense of guilt when they declutter? Something along the lines of "I don't like this at all, but Mom bought it for me...." Hopefully, that feeling will go away in time. I truly need to declutter my (teeny tiny) house, but I'm afraid sentimentality will slow my progress.

Anyway, just wanted to share my first small success!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Yes Patricia....the sentimental aspect is why my basement is a wreck. My mom is gone now and there are a few little things that i simply kept because I wanted some momentos from her...but other things I have tried to let go of.

Anotherr example my daughter had a HUGE Barney dinosaur and PINK rabbit ...she got them when she was two...they were dusty smelly and honestly....never going to be played with....so last year I had a talk with her (she was 20...that means those stuffed toys were 18 years old....I mean REALLY).....so anyway she posed with them and we took some photos and then into the trash they went....she loves to tell everyone how I threw them away...trying to get sympathy....but honestly she doesnt miss them...they were in the basement for goodness sake...

So ...I know what you mean!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
So I went to watch something old that I knew was on my DVR and realized that this DVR only saves something for 2 months and then dumps it out.

I was annoyed but then thought, Why are you saving things (not watching them that long to begin with?)

I wanted the first weeks of January to be quiet, with not any major house cleaning/organization project- this girl needs to recharge her batteries!

But- came up with this thought- How about decluttering things like my email Inbox, shows on the DVR, and of course magazines! It's still quiet time, not much energy exerted! I think it's the perfect solution for decluttering (for me) in January.

Annie

PS- Does anyone else have the problem of an overfull email Inbox, text messages on the phone, DVR/saved TV shows?

Last edited:

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
My first project will be decluttering Christmas. While I am taking things down I plan to go through and get trid of decorations we don't use anymore or that aren't meaningful to us anymore. That will also make decorating easier come December 2011.

I will conntinue to focus on my living room area as it need some major decluttering -especially after the holidays.

Patricia

Retire Member
Thanks Gingerbug! It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I love the idea of taking photos, just the way you had your daughter do with her stuffed animals. That would save lots of space, but the memories can all be held on a memory card. Thanks for the tip!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am sentimental with things too. I have so much stuff here that I am keeping because it belonged to the kids. When I ask them about it they are quite prepared to let it all go. So this year I will get the kids to decide what they keep. I do have a few things from my DDad but as they don't take up too much space I will keep those.

My main deal is I keep things in case I need them down the track. I have 3 winter jackets, it never snows here and the most I wear in the winter is a light coat. Why do I need 3 winter jackets?? Just in case!!!!!
So I will have to work on the "If I have not used it in 12 months I will throw it out" principle.

I also have a few things that people have giving me as gifts over the years that I actually don't like. I am scared of throwing them out in case I offend the giver. I will have to work on that as well.

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
Patricia.. you are far from alone.. I have a thing about pictures.. even if I have 3 of the same picture.. I just cant throw them out.. its like throwing my family out.. how weird is that.. as long as I still have 1... why do I need 3 and 4 of the same picture.. and anything my kids made me.. hard.. hard

My decluttering for January is also my Christmas stuff.. this year alot of it is outta here. and I love what someone said about holding out some of the loved but maybe tattered or broken ones.. and using a Rudy Day to mend them.. that would be a few things I have.. but for the most part.. alot of it will be handed down to my daughter or just sent to Goodwill..

Im picking up some more totes this week.. for years I have just used boxes and they really have had it.. plus dont store that well.. so everything is going to be clearly marked and in good plastic totes.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Closet done!!! I have all the donations in the car ready to drop off and only 1 drawer left of 7 in the dresser to empty. Then we can start painting and refinishing furniture!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have three bags of clothes in my car to deliver to the thrift store tomorrow!

Everyone is doing so good.

If you have things from parents/kids either take a photo (and bless someone with the item) or make a display out of it. Stuffed in a box in the basement is not the place for treasured items.

Memories of a person are not attached to the object. The memory of the person will not disappear when the item is gone.

UPENDI

Retire Member
Nov 21, 2009
I would love to join you all!

Main focus for the first week will be the garage. Still unpacking boxes (stored in the garage) from our move in August.
Mini focus will have to be my shelves in the master bedroom.
Getting ready for Move it Out Monday! :)