Saving for next year

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

giftmaker

Retire Member
Oct 20, 2007
West Virginia
Has anyone started saving for next year... I have I started my christmas club first of November. I save my change all year and put money from my surveys I do in ther. :skate:

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
I have also....I think it is pretty much a year around thing. I also have a christmas club account and it is automatically taken out of my check that is direct deposited. I heard though the grapevine that 5/3rd will be matching interest if you meet your goals for next year. I don't bank there but one of my friends were telling me of this new thing that they were going to be doing. a nice way to get a little extra for the holidays.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm still trying to make it through THIS year :thud: . In January, I'll start putting aside money each month in an envelope, but I see that it would be a great goal to go from November to November.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I have! My Christmas Club runs from Oct 1st - Sept 30 each year, and it taken right out of my paycheck. I think, though, that I will increase the amount in January to save a little more.

Hopefully next year my finances will improve because I am finally going to take my ex to court (yet again) and recoup the money he owes me which so far is over $26,500!!! I haven't received a penny since September and before that it was June. So yeah I look forward to receiving some money and saving for a much better Christmas season next year!!

mummytummy

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Perth WA
I have, will start in earnest at end of january when i next get paid and put a regular amount away i also save change in a pot and once a month i'll put that in the account too. For years now i have also paid into a hamper company but only had the "high street" gift vouchers which have been extremely useful, every year i say i'm not going to have them anymore and put the money into a account instead but i know that if a crisis occured i'd spend it :rudolph:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I don't put into saving club but I tend to shop year round so I do not have alot of buying in December- We are going to do a huge order this summer so the bulk should be done by fall :smile:

It's easy with only 1 DD4

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
I need to do this better this year, but as someone else mentioned I have a tendency to buy year round and not wait until the last few weeks before Christmas so I don't know if a formal 'Christmas Club' is a good idea. We are going to envelopes this year so I plan on putting money in each pay period and that is the money that will be used for gift buying.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We usually don't save year round. We start saving a little towards Christmas or we just use the money that we have. We do stick to a budget and are pretty good about that.

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
I opened a savings account at the bank at walmart (I put change in this account) and have my cristmas club account where we put $20.00 a week. These two accounts start to add up fast.

Santa elf Eddie

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I plan to put $5 per week on a Wal-Mart gift card for Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas breakfast supplies. I alos plan to put $20 per week on a pre-paid visa or mastercard, which will be used just for Christmas shopping. Then, if I come across something while I'm out, I'll have the money to pick it up. My goal, once again, is be finished shopping by November 1. I haven't accomplished that yet, but I keep setting the goal! I'll get there eventually!!

Grannyloveschristmas

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
South East of UK
I transfer money regularly from my account into a seperate e-account as i get more interest that way. I used to buy saving stamps from supermarkets here or join their christmas clubs, putting money on a card. When i worked out that i was only getting a £ or two from the stores I thought i'd use the account and have the interest myself.
I also save £2($4) coins in a seperate purse - i've got £16/$32 up to now- and then if i see anything through out the year i can use the cash from the coins rather than drawing out of the bank. I used this method last year and for the first year was able to start Jan without owing anything! :skate:

I definitely have been saving my change. It is hidden on a shelf in my closet in a glass jar still in it's box!!! The top and two sides of the box are open paneled so I have it turned to the full paneled side of the box and no one knows it is there. The open top is great because I just reach up and drop the change in!!!

** I am also curious how much change I can rack up in the year!!!

mummytummy

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Perth WA
Just wondered how everyone was doing with their savings now that we are into our 2nd month of the year. I'm not doing too badly at the moment, managing to stay on track :rudolph:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Same here ... save a little all year, buy a little all year ..... try NOT to have credit card debt for Christmas ... no fun!
::eek:rnament:

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
We save a little bit every payday so we can shop in cash for Christmas. This year, I'm also tossing a bit of change in from time to time; I'd like to buy the tree with this stash as well. :snow:

For those who aren't sure they can save through the year and want to start saving, here's a good strategy... :rudolph:
http://cindysporch.com/pages/cashchristmas_jar.shtml

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
CHANGE!

Oh, yes. We have one of those battery operated things and it's amazing how fast the change adds up!

:heartbeat:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hey!

Cindy's Porch is a great link! Thanks!

:lovestruck:

Gadler

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks for the link to Cindy's Porch - what a great site. :lovestruck: