Saving for next year

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Most of our Christmas is bought for next year- after Christmas sales- but this would be good to save for Black Friday and the after sales- Jan/Feb.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Twinkle - I agree with you! Especially the January/February 75% off sales! Great time to buy for next year! :grin:

I have been stocking up soooo much that I don't know what I will need to really save for besides food and the kids gifts...lol I even bought the Martha Stewart goodie boxes on clearance for the cookies, treats, and pies. Yes boxes designed to hold 9"pies!!! I hope this turns out to be a much better holiday season for me...last year wasn't that great but still nice!!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
From the Cindy's Porch thingy ... I went and got a jar and started "Cash for Christmas!"

::eek:rnament:

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I'm so glad so many of you are enjoying Cindy's Porch. :love: It's more than just that savings tip and I really enjoy it too!

Christmascreations, thank you for the tip. I'm going to watch for containers for baking. I love to bake and would love to have containers. :snow:

Meg

I have a glass vase still in the open structure box. I put it on the top shelf of my closet with the closed side facing front. If you can picture the box two sides are "open" faces to see the vase and the other two sides have "walls". Well I put my change in there everyday since Christmas day and it is starting to fill up. I have used some change on hand throughout my day but at the END of the day it goes in the jar.

I figured the first thing the money will be used for is Holiday Stamps. I have some cards I bought on clearance so I will just need the stamps this year since I did not get to send any out last year!!!

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
I've started my Christmas savings with $20 about a week ago! Feels nice to get started so early. I did a little after Christmas shopping too, but will use most of those bargains for Birthday gifts. At least I've gotten some gift shopping done though.

I love the link to Cindy's Porch too! Plan to find a "piggy bank" for my Christmas Cash to help me keep it safe.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We also do the christmas club. It's a great feeling to that check in Oct and know that you have money to do Christmas shopping with.
Now I also buy gifts through out the year if I come across a great deal on an item that would be perfect gift for someone on my list.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Appleton, you'll love having a Christmas cash stash!

Because I started setting aside money each Rudy Day towards Christmas last year, when the back to college ads hit in the summer, I was able to buy a great futon style couch for my DS14's room! I had the cash on hand when I saw the sale. We didn't end up giving it to him for Christmas because we were trying to keep everything looking equal between the kids. But now that his birthday is TODAY, we already have his present. He is going to LOVE it because he wants to make his room look sort of like a college dorm, and it feels like a 'free' gift for us as far as the pocketbook is concerned.

Christmascreations, you'll have to tell us how much money that vase can hold! Great idea!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay, I finally did what Cathymac and others have suggested. I started putting money on a grocery store gift card! If I put $25 a month on it, in 10 months I'll have $225 of 'free' groceries! (I know they won't be free, but they'll feel like it to my pocketbook ;-) ). I'll be able to host everyone for holiday dinners and bake to my heart's content!

I'm going to start the same thing at WalMart. I can purchase groceries there almost as cheaply, and get presents, too.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I like Cindy's Porch. I took her cash stash idea and made a change challenge for myself. I described in my blog the different ways and things I'll be saving my change for. Thanks for the link.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hi,
I tried your blog link .. it didn't work. I see you have the word "blog" highlighted and linked in the link. If that makes sense. Anyway, I just deleted that part in the address bar and it works fine. Now, I'll go read it!

::eek:rnament:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thank you. I have it fixed now. I responded to the comment you left on my blog also.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Ah! I answered you back! Blogs are fun!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I am savings $20 per check and I have $200 to date. Started the first of the year. I also have a $50 back hoping to get a gift card at Wal-Mart or Krogers to put back for groceries and baking. Would like to do a $25 a month gift card. Rotating each time between Krogers and Wal-Mart. Am hoping to make the majority of family gifts again and have the money for the my kids. Will see.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
this year was not such a good year for the holidays for us. With the cutbacks, my husban lost some big accounts. I was out sick for a few days and we had snow days at almost once a week for the lst two months. Paras don't get paid for days off here. Then Penney's cut back on our hours. It doesn't look like its going to get any better. I'll probably buy during the year if I find I do have some money at the time I see something. I can't have anymore taken out of my paychecks than I already do. I have lots of material and patterns so maybe this will be a craft gift year for me. Hopefully my friends on here can help me with ideas in the craft section as they have in the past. I find this site to be so helpful. Dorene

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
It sure is, Dorene! I love recieving handcrafted gifts-I know what is put into them!
Someone posted a yankee swap gift(forgive me-I don't remember who!) It was a tree decorated with scratch tickets. So we are going to buy a few scratch tickets a month as it is the perfect gift for DMIL! Maybe she'll win big!