VOTE: Which book for Christmas in July 2011?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
We did this last year and it was really fun. Seems others want to do it this year too.

I'm thinking of the book, On Strike for Christmas by Sheila Roberts.

I know some of us have read this but it's a fun read.
Last year's choice (The Christmas Cookie Club) ended up being a little darker than we expected.

Let me know your thoughts!

Annie

Last edited by a moderator:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I think we did On Strike for Christmas the year before for CIJ and A Christmas Cookie Club last year. Anyone have another fun, holiday book they've read? I like both of the choices above. I really enjoyed the recipes and history of ingredients in a Christmas Cookie Club. There is a Debbie Macomber named "There's Something About Christmas" and it's a romantic comedy of course. But the lady gets assigned to write an article for a local paper about the fruit cake bake off in their town. Each person's story includes a different fruit cake recipe and the story behind them. I really enjoyed that one. It's on my to do list to try all those recipes.

This looks like a good one too...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-paper-bag-christmas-kevin-alan-milne/1008297708

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I'm up for whatever you all choose. I'm just anxious to participate this year!!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm up for whatever.

Annie

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I just finished reading "Snow Globe". I think the author is the same as "On Strike for Christmas". It was a fun and easy read and good story.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I am also up for anything...

In the meantime, I thought it might be fun to list our "favorites":

Here are mine, in no particular order:
A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (I reread it every year)
Skipping Christmas - John Grisham (better than the movie)
On Strike For Christmas - Sheila Roberts (gave it to all of my women friends!)
Best Christmas Pageant Ever - Barbara Robinson (still makes me laugh)
The Christmas Train - David Baldacci (a bit predictable, but entertaining)
The Autobiography of Santa Claus - Jeff Guinn (I love the whole series - think historical fiction)
Letters From Father Christmas - J.R.R. Tolkien (i found a beautiful old edition years ago)
Little Big Book of Christmas - Lena Tabori (I keep this by my chair during the season and randomly open to a page every day - LOVE IT!)
The Stupidest Angel - Christopher Moore (Absurd, but funny...not for everyone)
The Santaland Diaries/Holidays on Ice - David Sedaris (completely irreverent, some laugh out loud parts - reader discretion is advised!)

What are your favorites???

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have read Skipping Christmas, and last year was my first year w/ the club.

I saw this one, when I was searching A Piggly Wiggly Christmas by Robert Dalby. I ready Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly and it was cute.

For a lighthearted mystery there is: the Christmas Cookie murder, Gingerbread man murder or candy cane murder all by Leslie Meier and each chapter has a cookie recipe.

The Christmas Cookie Killer: A Fresh-Baked Mystery, by Livia J. Washburn. I am not familiar w/ this one.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I too think we read on strike for Christmas for a book club reading. I'll have to look on my bookshelf at home and see what titles I have there.

Colleen - Great list!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen- That is quite a list- you go girl! More to add to my reading list.

I like the idea of Minnie Co's- The one with the fruitcake recipes.

Or what about the other Sheila Roberts book- Snowglobe?
(know some others have read that one too).

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've not read snow globe either. Just seen the movie, but don't remember a thing.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I have On Strike for Christmas.....which I bought and never managed to read so I'd be for giving that a go or another one....if you post the title early enough I might be able to get whatever it is from the library...trying really hard not to buy books because of 1. cost 2. clutter

Thanks!

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I'd like to participate in this as well. Like Ginger, I'll hope my library has whichever book is chosen if not then I'll look for it on Kindle first so as to save space.

Not to mention Dad is still trying to figure out why on earth we still buy "hardcopy" books when he bought both mom and I kindles for Christmas last year, he doesn't get that some books are better that way or the fact that when you have 12 or 13 of a series and a new one comes out..you want to stay with the hardcopy books to keep the series together lol.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ginger- funny about your post. I was thinking this morning, "We need to pick a CIJ book so people have time to get it."

My vote is for Snowglobe by Sheila Roberts.

I don't mind getting together discussion questions and if maybe we could do a chat- that would be really great!

Annie

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm up for anything...I think I read On Strike last year....snowglobe doesn't sound familar, but I like Sheila Roberts. Let me know....

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
How about a poll? I am voting for The Snow Globe after reading the reviews.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My vote is for Snowglobe.

:)
Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I vote snowglobe as well.