Word of the year 2023

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I cannot believe that we are at that time again.

I did OK with my word last year which was Prepare. The year threw up some challenges that no one could really prepare for and as a consequence I always felt a little behind. In the end though it is just a word, it is up to me to live the year that I can.

I have given a bit of thought to my word for 2023 and have decided that it will be PROGRESS. Any progress is good right?

I need to progress with plans for moving to the farm.
I need to progress in getting this home ready.
I need to progress with getting/keeping my health on track.
I need to keep progressing as a person/work colleague/friend/DrillDance judge/mother and wife.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Yay! I've been waiting for this thread to be posted!

I chose: Mindset

My reasons:
* I want to work on how I talk to myself, how I talk about future endeavors and goals.
* Financial- There's something "off" with my mindset. I'm making more $$ than I ever have in my life but yet,
I still "feel" like a broke college student. Because of those thoughts, my actions follow that thought.

I excited to explore this in the next year. I have even bought a couple of books about the subject matter.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I cannot believe that we are at that time again.

I did OK with my word last year which was Prepare. The year threw up some challenges that no one could really prepare for and as a consequence I always felt a little behind. In the end though it is just a word, it is up to me to live the year that I can.
Sounds to me like the year gave you many examples of why you want to prepare for the unexpected. And you have handled them very well.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am pretty sure I have my word of the year. Social. "What?" you might say, let me explain, I tend to be very content in my own little world of home. I go to church and spend time with children, I volunteer and spend time with art supplies and I spend time on social media.
I do not spend enough time with people. That is what is missing from my life since I retired in 2016. I was with people all the time. I do spend time with family yes traveling to them. I do not get together with others very often at all. 1 reason is around here it always involves eating out (not a line item in my budget). I have let DH hold me back from inviting others over----not anymore. His excuse is we only have 1 bathroom. Oh well. We have a very large yard no reason not to enjoy. Come on over for yard games and ice tea and lemonade. Or maybe a bonfire and s'mores.

What has replaced my time with people is time on the computer. So a time limit will be set. Socializing with a computer is not what life should be. To many opportunities missed to really know what a person is going through by not seeing them face to face.

I have a shy side of me when in group settings that I have to fight with all the time. It is more of a self-confidence thing that pulls the shyness forward. I just need to find my happy place where people are. So each month I will do something to become more social. I am scared and feeling uncomfortable, It has been said if you are feeling uncomfortable it must be good because you are learning and growing.

This has been hard for me to share here but I am wanting some accountability and you are my safe place for letting me be me and my inspiration by seeing all that you with others. 2023 here I come!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jody- I love your word and your vision.
With the eating out- one year for lent I gave up eating out.
Since eating out is so social, I decided that I would still go and could get
either a coffee or an iced tea. And I was there to socialize.
Isn't that the main reason we go out?
I found people didn't mind at all. I was forthcoming and did tell them why I was doing it.
It didn't bother me to watch people eat either because I made sure I had eaten something really good before hand.

Also, sometimes when I am not wanting to eat out, if someone invites me to lunch, I'll say, "Why don't you bring your lunch here and we will find a quiet place to eat and visit. Or, we can meet in the park."

I do need to do both of the above more as when tracking my budget, too much goes to eating out!!

I look forward to hearing about your journey!

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
CLEAN for 2023

I want to do a top to bottom clean on my house this year. This will not just include washing but also decluttering. Also applies to my mind, body and soul.

I am starting this now as I put away Christmas decorations. I am cleaning off all the ornaments and making a list of what I want to replace or add. So my mind will be clean when I go to put the decorations up next year And not thinking about what I need to clean, replace or buy.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, you are very brave and I look forward to following your journey.
Dierdra, I love clean for a word and I love your vision for it.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have chosen Katrina's word from last year - Prepare. I didn't realize until she started the thread that it was her 2022 word.

I'll post more about why later, but that word became my word when Mama got sick and had to go to the ER. My stars, she's 88, so it shouldn't have taken me so aback, but she's never ill and takes (took) only one medication a day. She still worked part time, lived alone, drove, and was totally independent. All of that has changed suddenly, and I wasn't prepared.

These are just a few of my thoughts about being prepared. I'm sure more will come up throughout 2023. I've written it in a notebook, so I can look back on it. I may do some journaling to help process what the year brings along with it.

Prepare:
- for the unexpected
^Mama's declining health
^financial obligations
^mine and DH's inevitable declining health and illnesses

-for family to visit our home or stay when needed
-for ways to eat more healthy & for days when no lunch is available in the office
-for being available to help family when needed
-meals for days when I'm too busy or don't want to cook
-for working full time and longer hours than I had planned (this has really impacted me mentally this year, not in a good way)
-for upcoming events throughout the year by using my planner better and thinking ahead
-myself each night for work the next day (getting clothes ready, lunch ready, things together and in one place)
-a meal and grocery list for each week based on what's on sale or in the freezer
-for Garrett's senior year starting in Fall 2023
-for DH's upcoming retirement May 2024
-for reduced income in September 2024
-for changes in family that will happen as we all age

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Things have been crazy the last couple years. I have been lost track of things and time, been behind on tasks, skipped things that I wanted to do because there just wasn't enough time and a lot of this was because I was not nearly as organized as I usually am. DH and I were up until after midnight the night if the 23rd wrapping ... we always have everything wrapped before then.

My goal and word for 2023 will be Organized.

I will be more organized and ready.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have chosen the word Prevail.
Meanings:
Get control or influence in particular situation
Prove more powerful than opposing forces, be victorious
To be very powerful to gain the victory, have the upper hand to have greater influence or effect to overcome to be in force to succeed.
Synonyms:
conquer, triumph, win, hold out, hold up, keep up, last, and survive

Sorry I wrote the whole thing but if I keep reading it........

I need it, in so many areas of my life!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What wonderful words and what amazing inspirations you are to me. I am so very proud to be in such a fabulous group.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I am pretty sure I have my word of the year. Social. "What?" you might say, let me explain, I tend to be very content in my own little world of home. I go to church and spend time with children, I volunteer and spend time with art supplies and I spend time on social media.
I do not spend enough time with people. That is what is missing from my life since I retired in 2016. I was with people all the time. I do spend time with family yes traveling to them. I do not get together with others very often at all. 1 reason is around here it always involves eating out (not a line item in my budget). I have let DH hold me back from inviting others over----not anymore. His excuse is we only have 1 bathroom. Oh well. We have a very large yard no reason not to enjoy. Come on over for yard games and ice tea and lemonade. Or maybe a bonfire and s'mores.

What has replaced my time with people is time on the computer. So a time limit will be set. Socializing with a computer is not what life should be. To many opportunities missed to really know what a person is going through by not seeing them face to face.

I have a shy side of me when in group settings that I have to fight with all the time. It is more of a self-confidence thing that pulls the shyness forward. I just need to find my happy place where people are. So each month I will do something to become more social. I am scared and feeling uncomfortable, It has been said if you are feeling uncomfortable it must be good because you are learning and growing.

This has been hard for me to share here but I am wanting some accountability and you are my safe place for letting me be me and my inspiration by seeing all that you with others. 2023 here I come!
Jody, I soooooo get what you are saying. After losing my DH, moving, retiring in Fall 2019, and then Covid, I completely understand! I'm trying to figure out a similar word that encompases moving forward, changing social groups (to date, it's primarily been widows), and growing, expanding my horizons. Thinking of something like wings or flying.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Jody, I soooooo get what you are saying. After losing my DH, moving, retiring in Fall 2019, and then Covid, I completely understand! I'm trying to figure out a similar word that encompases moving forward, changing social groups (to date, it's primarily been widows), and growing, expanding my horizons. Thinking of something like wings or flying.
Soaring as in spreading your wings for adventure.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I am thinking "Reason Why".....and use it as a reminder to get things done for the future.
Empty out the storage unit so the kids don't have to do someday .
Have my hardbody doll from when I was little restrung for my granddaughter
Many more days of scrapbooking this year.
Declutter my mom,'s books, even though many were self help books, she was hoping my sister and I would read...
...... And many more "why am I doing this ?" And why can't I do this?
I am at the age where it is "show time".....no more putting it off until later...
I do love all of your chose words !

Laurie.
simplify

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have been thinking and I am thinking of the word gentle. Gentler to those around me, gentler with myself and just a gentle approach to the world around me. It will be a challenge, but hopefully it will be a positive way of living life.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
..... And many more "why am I doing this ?" And why can't I do this?
I am at the age where it is "show time".....no more putting it off until later...
Laurie, this has struck a chord with me....this is exactly how I feel and why I chose the word Progress