Have you started decorating yet?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
DD has taken out her Santa teddy and her moose little teddy (which she calls a Reindeer!) - they went away again 2 weeks ago after 1 day out, but she went rooting for them last night and I reckon they are now out for the duration again.

We won't start on the house really until the end of this month. Although I think we will be decorating DD's room a little from this weekend - making stars, snowflakes and paper chains. She is MAD for Christmas this year, which Dh is blaming on me, but I really haven't been saying anything to her just doing my nutty things in my own head!

I also have a set of lights for my office - but they won't go up for another few weeks as I am due to move offices around the end of the month and I don't want them to go missing.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This thread makes me very happy! It is fun to think about everyone doing their own decorations! The variety is what makes it so nice!!!

A few decorations have migrated into my kitchen. I am thinking of it as an inspiration to keep my kitchen cleaner and more organized!

Aggy - I love your idea of putting the tree up "Thanksgiving week"! I will definitely be doing that too!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Not so much yet but come the 30th November I'll be putting out all of my Advent trees and calendars.Not long to go now!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Not yet...I will decorate the first weekend of December, as always. I will add the advent wreath and calendar a bit earlier, though.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
It's still a bit early for me yet. We just got the last of the Halloween down outside yesterday. I told DH he could go ahead and put up the Christmas icicle lights but he wouldn't do it.

I don't start until after Thanksgiving, although I may do some the week of since we'll be gone that weekend.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Normally we put the tree up the Wed. night before Thanksgiving but the last couple of years it was up the week before that. DH is off next week and will start with outside lights and I am thinking the inside might get started. But the 20th-22nd is deer season and we have alot of people in and out so will see.

DD (22) put her tree up in her room on the 1st of November.

I LOVE watching Christmas lights in the dark.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
I know normally I don't get to get them up and out until the first part of December. But I am sooo organized this year. I am going to start getting things outside this weekend. I won't put my tree up until aftr Thanksgiving. But I am going to get outside lights a decor out before it gets too cold here in Missouri. And of course try and beat the ice....lol My hubby doesn't get into decorating, as he doesn't like all that. He hates it as I have 5 trees I put up and decorate, from all sizes...lol But now I have my mom out here, and she likes to do it as well.. Her & I have talked about it for the oast few weeks. So I am ready.. Have a busy weekend with fundraisers for jr class, and all, but in between, I will get something done....
God Bless & Have a wonderful day, DawnSu

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Not yet...but as soon as I can find the spare time, I am going to put up 1 of my trees.

Probably the one in the Dining Room since I tend to spend more time on that floor of the house and will be able to enjoy it more.

I'll put the tree on a timer so that it turns on for the time I am up and get ready in the morning and turns on right before I get home at night. :)

If I can, I'll get the mantle in that room done too - but the big goal is the tree.

Then next week I'll put up the other big tree, leaving smaller trees and other misc decorating for Thanksgiving week.

I probably will not put up the big tree in the sunroom this year, but we'll see. Maybe once I get started I'll be on a roll!!!

I can't wait!!!

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
We are going to start this weekend. Surprisingly, my husband suggested that we start earlier because both of my kids are now old enough (5/8) to understand Christmas a lot better. I am going to go by Hobby Lobby today and see if they have a Nativity scene on sale and add that to our decor this year.

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
My DH has the week of Thanksgiving off this year, he will start hauling boxes out of the eaves then. DD's are coming over the Sunday after to put everything up.

I noticed one of the houses on my street put their tree up the day after Halloween. A little too early for me, all those dusty ornaments.

Belles

Retire Member
Okay I admitt it, I'm almost done on the inside and PROUD of it. Beside there's nothing better then coming home and turning on the lights and listening to Christmas music.
The truth is this year I've planned more intimate dinners and brunches then usual and there's just not enought time to work it all in if I wait till December to decorate. Since money is short, we have opted to have friends over for dinner and fellowship.

mlou

Retire Member
Nov 16, 2008
Virginia
Good for you Belles!!! I was listening to Christmas music today while cleaning the house. We normally decorate the day after Thanksgiving, but we are having family from out of town for Thanksgiving. I think we are going to start getting things from the attic this weekend so we can have everything done before Thanksgiving. I can't wait!!!!

Flower Girl

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
My tree is up...has been up since Nov 1st. I love it!!!! It was my trade-off for getting a fake tree. I get two solid months of enjoyment out of it, and it makes it easier to put it all away....I have generally had my fill by the time I put it away now. When we got a real tree each year, we didn't get it til the 2nd week of December, and I was never ready to take it down!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
JangleBelle -- that is what I love about my artificial tree too --- I can leave it up for a long time! All the years that we got a live tree --- dh and I did not agree on when to get it. I grew up in a family that got the tree in early December. And then took it down fairly soon after Christmas Day. Dh grew up in a family that got the tree close to Christmas Eve. And they left there tree up for a long time after Christmas.

So we kept arguing. Dh thought I wanted to put the tree up too early. And I thought dh wanted to leave it up too long. Now -- since the artificial tree lasts for a long time without drying out -- we can put it up early and leave it up late. Win-win. (Besides, since I put it up by myself, I can put it up as early as I like. And, dh finds he likes having the lit tree at night -- no matter how early it goes up.

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
I haven't starting decorating yet, but we did pull out all of my tubs from the storage shed today. I had so much Halloween stuff that was new to me this year that we had to rearrange the shed and put it toward the back. So, it was easier to go ahead and pull out all the Christmas things. My two nieces kept saying, "you have so much Christmas stuff."

They have never been here when we are decorating and seeing it all up is not the same. They were amazed at all the boxes of small trees that I have. They each picked out a tree for themselves. I guess they will have two in their room! In my opinion, you can never have too many Christmas trees or too many nativity scenes!

I am enjoying my Thanksgiving/harvest things right now.

I can't wait to get the Christmas things up.

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
I love it's finally time to get started! I plan on doing my Dickens tommorrow in my living room, next weekend the Mantel and then my china cabnet. They are my hardest and most time consuming even though I love doing it!

Thanksgiving night, the rest comes out!

Been listening to "sounds of the season" on comcast cable since the first! :)