Have you started decorating yet?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I will start the week of Thanksgiving. My gks are out of school and they like to help me.
I bought a new decoration yesterday of a deer that lights up. I've been wanting it for several years and it was finally marked down. We don't do much outside besides two standing deer. We live in the country way off the road. But who knows I may do more this year. I enjoy seeing what everybody does.

zchristy

Santa's Elves
I couldn't resist - I put up a new garland I bought lit up over my kitchen cupboards. And I was chilly in bed a couple of night ago and put my Christmas quilt on our bed.

Hope to get to some more decorating this week. But my precious Grandma passed away yesterday, so with a funeral mid week, it may not happen until the weekend. I miss her. But I have several Christmas things that she gave me that decorated her house when IO was growing up. I look forward to pulling those things out this year.

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
I'm sorry for both of your losses, little elf and zchristy. I'm sure you each have some wonderful memories and Christmas items from your grandmothers that will comfort you during this season.

I went through the video cabinet last night and was organizing some of the holliday DVDs. The nieces were asking what movies we had and I listed some of them for them and they both asked about Prancer. I told them that it was Tracie (my DD's) favorite and that we watch it every year and have a good cry every year. Neither of the girls had seen the movie!

So, today we went to early church and when we got in, they asked about watching Prancer. We just finished it and Tracie and I both had a good cry.

The girls loved it. Not decorating, but good eye candy.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I said before that I usually don't start until the day after Thanksgiving, but that's not the case this year. The kids did their room trees today and we did one for Eli's room as well. DH brought in all my boxes and we don't have anywhere to store them in here so I may start decorating this week instead of waiting.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
We usually wait until Thanksgiving day or day after. I would like to start now but hubby wan't us to get the house more in order (point taken) and every thing is in a cubby in our closet and I have to move a lot of stuff out of the way to get to the cubby. I did get me a white Fiber optic tree to go on top of a cabinet in the kitchen and some the fun blue, pink, red ornaments go on it. I set it up to be be sure it's the right size. It is so up it stays. My only fall decorations are on my mantle so most of that may come down this week.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Have not started yet. Will start with the evergreens in the urns next weekend. Then the Advent wreath the following. The wreath on the doors follow.

Our tree and lights will not go up till 3rd Advent. :)

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Decided I needed a little joy yesterday, so I let the kids put up my olive wood nativity. It was HYSTERICAL - They took a few "creative liberties" with the story while setting it up...one wise man got punched out by another for being too pushy when he gave his gift to the baby Jesus and a 3rd wise man plunged to his death when he went out on the roof of the stable to look for the star. LOL

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Ive got about half of my outside decorations up and I did get my living room tree up over the weekend, and Ive had my master bedroom tree up for weeks... :eek:)

mommyby3

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2007
Beautiful North Carolina
Getting stuff done today!!! Had my main living room tree up for a week and got my Carolina Panther football tree done.

So far today I have my swag with lights in my kitchen windows, pine garland around my door-way going to the living room. My 6ft tree in the kitchen just needes the gumdrop garland. Then on to the 4ft tree for the kitchen. Can you tell I'm focusing on my kitchen today?

I'll post later this afternoon and let you know what else I get done :)

purplecrush

Premiere Member
Normally, I decorate the day after Halloween. This year I was sick, so that didnt happen. We threw away our fake trees last year cuz half the lights didnt work. I thought, "We will just get REAL trees next year" ..wth was I thinking!! I have christmas stuff up..but NO tree!! It doesnt feel like christmas AT ALL!! So yesterday, on my birthday, my honey surprised me and took me shopping..for a artificial TREE!!! I was sooo excited!! So we put that up yesterday! We will still get a real tree later though and put the fake one in our room.

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
Put up some outdoor decorations today while the weather is nice and sunny.
Have begun to gradually put away fall decorations and have replaced them with a sprinkling of Christmas things. The angel that always sits atop the piano is one of the first things I bring out every year.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today, the drug store was having a sale on LED lights. They look like about "acorn size" - and various colors. I bought some -- and they looked really good when I plugged them in. They didn't have that awful, too-bright white light that LED lights used to have. I also got a 9 foot garland that was on sale. I can see it over my front door. If there were just some nails over the top of the door -- on the wood frame, I could drape the garland there. I wonder if I should discuss it with my husband -- or try to do it myself. i always have the colored small lights on bushes in front of the picture window. And the tree is INSIDE the picture window -- with multi-colored lights on the tree. which echo the outside lights. I really like the way it looks every year.

BUT -- my Christmas boxes are still up in the attic.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I haven't done ANYTHING yet! :(

With the way LIFE has been going - it will probably be sometime this weekend before I start, if I am lucky!

But there is always Thanksgiving weekend - both DH and I have 4 days off and I am SO ready for them!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I've taken down all my fall decorations and will clean up today. The only thing I probably do today is hang the lights around my balcony. I'm off all week so I think I will do a room a day with the goal of being finished by Thanksgiving weekend.

zchristy

Santa's Elves
All but about 3 things are out - the house looks so festive. I got rid of a ton decor and all that is left is my prettiest and most special. Feels good to have it done. The tree will go up sometime in the next week.

Off to finish my shopping today along with new Christmas quilts for the kids in honour of Grandma. Plan to pick up a Starbucks Christmas latte. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DH will get totes out of storage today. Hope that by the end of the week things will be decorated and pretty here. DD16 wants to put up the tree today but she needs to work, so I think it will be up on Wednesday. Pretty hot here at the moment and it is a little hard to get into the mood but I know that if I don't get moving soon I will be rushing.

Christmas will be here in 34 days whether I am ready or not....