HGP Week 1 - Front Porch (List) Week!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Believe it or not, it's time to get the party started!

:party:

The Holiday Grand Plan officially kicks off on Sunday, August 31st!!!

JUST A NOTE: This starter thread is being posted today because I don't have reliable access to the internet over the weekends. If you are getting a jump-start on the HGP week, feel free to post. If not, once Sunday arrives, have at it!

As many of you already know, the first week of the HGP is traditionally dedicated to List Making and deep cleaning the Front Porch area of our homes.

Here is a link to the main HGP website with CEO’s wonderful introduction:

http://organizedchristmas.com/holiday-grand-plan

And here is a direct link to the Front Porch (List) Week page:

http://organizedchristmas.com/holiday-grand-plan/list-week

From previous threads, I know that some of us are planning to modify/rearrange the order of the weeks on the plan in order to better fit our needs. If you are, please don’t hold back from posting on this main thread if you would like to. I can’t wait for everyone to share their excitement, infect others with that excitement, vent about setbacks and happily report accomplishments!

Remember to post your thoughts and/or progress on both the week’s “Holiday Tasks” and “Cleaning Focus”.

:sleigh:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Re: HGP Front Porch (List) Week!!!

I can’t believe it is time to start the plan already! Every year I look forward to the HGP – and every year I get started with a whirl of enthusiasm and cobwebs, and an absolute determination that this will be the year I complete the whole plan.

Ahem. :slap:

I have yet to really do so to my satisfaction. BUT, I personally feel that every little bit of accomplishment resulting from trying to follow the plan is better than if I had never tried at all!

“LIFE” always seems to intervene, sooner or later, to a smaller or greater extent.
Which won’t stop me from jumping right in there again this year. I’ll be starting the weekly threads (always the Friday before) so that should help me stay on track! That and having all of you to compare notes with!

I find that the longer I can stay excited and enthusiastic about something, the more likely I am to keep at it and accomplish more. Being able to share with others following the plan online is one of the best ways for me to stay motivated.

Here are a couple of quotes I found online that I’m writing into my HGP binder/checklists to help keep me on track:

"Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch."
Ivern Ball

"Throw your heart over the fence and the rest will follow."
Norman Vincent Peale

"Goals. There's no telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There's no telling what you can do when you believe in them. There's no telling what will happen when you act upon them."
Jim Rohn

I am also excited about Front Porch (List) Week because I will put out Fall décor items. The weather is still a bit warm during the day here, but the nights are cool, and well, frankly, I am just ready to “play” with my pretty fall things!

In any case, here is where I stand with the Holiday Prep tasks assigned for this week:

Print the Holiday Grand Plan calendars for referenceDONE! I have them in my binder! :grin:

List Making:

Gifts to be given, amount to spend – I have two documents, one Word file functions as my Master Gift List, one Excel file for my budget. I update them frequently.

:package:

Christmas card list – Needs a few updates, will work on this week!

Visits to make & Parties/EntertainingDONE! I keep these all on the same list for me, the list doesn’t really change much from year to year.

Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties – In Progress

Goodies for Sharing/Gifts – In Progress

Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead – Debating this one, with trying to eat healthy we eat a lot of fresh foods, but will give this more thought…

Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc. – In Progress

Create a Christmas planner notebookDONE! Although it is really always a work in progress, as something is always being added, changed, etc.

Front Porch Cleaning Tasks:

I plan to start working on these Sunday, and finish up on Monday since I have the day off!

[ ] Assemble supplies: broom, window cleaner, screwdrivers, paper for lists, old towels, trash can
[ ] Sweep off rug, remove from porch temporarily
[ ] Take screens off windows
[ ] Using the broom, sweep every windowsill and door frame, get all cobwebs out of corners
[ ] Light fixture okay? Clean as needed. Need new bulb?
[ ] Sweep inside front door frame, sweep off porch and steps
[ ] Wash outside of windows
[ ] While they dry, clean screens with warm soapy water, rinse with hose
[ ] Dry screens and put back on windows
[ ] Put back rug
[ ] Hang up fall door sign

I'll be back to report on my progress on Tuesday!

:grin:

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007

I decided to try to at least "think" about what I need to get done next week. I started working on the lists a little bit...which made me realize that I have absolutely NO idea what to get my mom and my dad for Christmas this year. *sigh* But...on the other hand, I am done shopping for my nieces and one DD and got an idea yesterday for something to get my other DD. So...we are making progress!

Lists:

( ) Gifts to be given, amt. to spend. Still working on this.
(X) Christmas Card List
(X) Visits to make...None!
(X) Parties...None!
(X) Menus for TG, X-mas. Same as every year
( ) Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Still need to do this...decided if I want to make cookies for DH's shop.

( ) Favorite meals to freeze ahead. Have a few things in mind but haven't written them down.
( ) Long-term shopping list. Still to do this too
(X) Create a Christmas planner notebook. I technically already have one setup but I need to tweak it a bit and add the dividers that I bought. Might work on that this weekend.

Porch Week: We have a small front and backyard so I'll be doing both this week
( ) Move potting soil to the backyard.
( ) Put corner metal shelf in the corner!
( ) Move flower stakes to the garage...no point in putting them up now!
( ) Put flag holder in the ground...might put my fall flag on there to get into the spirit of things!
( ) Throw away dead hanging plant.
( ) Switch blueberry plant with tomato plant.
( ) Put cover on table.
( ) Lay grass seed down on bare spots...now that maintenance came ot fix the sprinkler head!
( ) Wash paint splaters off the front door.
( ) Find somewhere to hang Fall wreath and plaque.
( ) Decorate for Fall? I'm still debating on whether I want to put out some of my ceramic pumpkins yet. Maybe I can buy some Mums (probably fake or I'll forget to water them) now and put those on my wire rack...not too obvious! Saw Wal-mart was putting a bunch out.
( ) Wash outside windows.
( ) Sweep and hose off walkway.
( ) Spray out and disinfect garbage and recycling bins.

I think that's it. I'll have to do a walkthrough to see if I missed anything.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!

I'll start a list, but I will have to add to it later-I don't have time this morning to flesh out everything, but I'll come back and edit this, so it's all good!

Chores include:
*clear and clean front porch
*scrap old paint
*paint porch-floor-gray to match the house; rails, shutters and front door-black
*weedeat flowerbeds and cut back cannas; mulch with cedar shavings, then plant pots to sit in the flowerbeds (my newest approach to unmanagable flowerbeds-just change out the pots seasonally..we'll see how that works!
*new cushions for front porch furniture-black and white brocade
*pots of mums on porch later in the fall!

Be back later!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland

Since I live in an apartment the balcony will be my front porch.

[ ] vacuumn outdoor carpet. I may throw it out as I've had it for 9 of the 10 years I've lived here.
[ ] throw out old plant pots. Never did plant any flowers in them - just dirt. :rotflol:
[ ] wipe down railing
[ ] wipe down patio furniture
[ ] clean patio windows/doors
That's pretty much it for the cleaning part.

Make the following lists:
[ :grin: ] Gifts to be given, amount to spend (include family, friends, school, church, etc)

[ / ] Christmas card list (computerize it!) Print list and update it, if needed. Decide how many cards are needed. Once we get the MHH list this can be checked off.

[ :grin: ] Visits to make

[ :grin: ] Parties/Entertaining

[ :grin: ] Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties

[ ] Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Decide how much needs to be made and divide it between the weeks from now through December 1.

[ ] Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead. Since it's just me and sometimes my BF, I will probably only cook on Sundays and keep store bought items stocked in the freezer/pantry.

[ :grin: ] long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc.

[ :grin: ] Create a Christmas planner notebook to organize holiday planning. This week's printable forms from OrganizedChristmas.Com include:

[ :grin: ] master gift list

[/]baking planner I know what I'll be baking, just need to gather the recipes together.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com

Oh, yeah! I am itching to get started.

Here is my list for next week (I actually won't be starting until Monday (Sunday I have a wall in my bedroom to paint).

Cleaning
Clean porch light-- it has become a bird perch (how gross)
Trim plants along the porch, trim rose bush back for the fall/winter
Sweep the porch-- I need a good wind to come along and help me!

Holiday stuff
Finalize all my little lists
Decide what baked goodies to give as gifts- 3 different cookies??
Finalize breakfast menus for Christmas week
Add final touches to master grocery list

Gifts
My sister's "mommy notebook"- need to finish printing out the pages and add the divider pages
My son's knitted blanket-- keep plugging away at it :thud:

RosieLB

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008

I am so excited about this! I dream of being more organized AND staying within a budget (I get closer and closer to that last goal every year :haha:).

I, too, live in an apartment...in Los Angeles (so some of my cleaning tasks are going to sound downright odd).

[]Assemble tools (broom, bucket, rags, etc)
[]Sweep
[]Wipe down patio chairs
[]Plant winter container garden

That should do it for the cleaning.

Now, for the lists:

[] Gifts to be given, amount to spend
[] Christmas Card list (already updated, but I'll review and make any necessary changes/updates)
[] Visits to make
[] Entertaining
[] Menus
[] Goodies for Sharing/Giving (I want to try out a couple of new recipes this weekend. :grin:)
[] Favorite meals (I need to decide if I have the freezer space for this.)
[] Long term grocery list
[] Christmas Planner (Have it...need to make sure it is up-to-date)
[] Master Gift List

Yeah for Christmas!

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007

Christmas card list......... I finished the list of names. Now I need to update the address book.

Visits to make & Parties/Entertaining ...... This I wont know until closer to Christmas

Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties ........ Same every year

Goodies for Sharing/Gifts ...... Don't give many as gifts,only fudge to my DS

Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead ....... Not sure about this one. We have been trying to clear out the freezer so don't know how much of this I will actually do.

Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc. ...... I wont need anything except food and wrapping paper so I usually buy the groceries closer to Thanksgiving as I ck the sales. staples for cookie making I always have on hand.

Create a Christmas planner notebook ....... Finished. I updated it last week.

Front Porch Cleaning Tasks:

[ ::eek:rnament: ] Assemble supplies: broom, window cleaner, screwdrivers, paper for lists, old towels, trash can
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Empty porch of everything
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Sweep off rug, remove from porch temporarily
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Sweep inside front door frame, sweep off porch and steps
[ ] Hose off porch
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Take screens off windows
[ ] Using the broom, sweep every windowsill and door frame, get all cobwebs out of corners
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Light fixture okay? Clean as needed. Need new bulb?
[ ] Wash outside of windows
[ ] Paint window
[ ] Stain Sidelights
[ ] New outside rug
[ ] Do something with statues
[ ] Arrange plants and pots
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Decide where to plant Mums.
[1/2 done] Plant Mums
[ ] Hang up fall door wreath

I started this earlier this week but had Bee problems GRRRRR or should I say BUZZZZZZZZ ........LOLOL :haha:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008

THIS IS IT! We start tomorrow (or last week, or next week - or today) -- but let's say tomorrow!

Remember - this is supposed to help us and to inspire us! This is not something we can use to beat ourselves up with!

At this point, I am not happy with my home. It is too stuffed with stuff! I am not happy with my kitchen. (Ditto about being stuffed with stuff.) And I am tired from a lot of hard work this summer. But - I know that Magical Holiday Home will help me work through the "down times" - and help me keep my eyes on the big picture! I am very grateful to MHH, and to everyone in the MHH family! Thank you for being here.

christmas3

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007

I am ready to get this party started too AuntJamelle!!!!!! :party:

I have already started on my Front Porch. This past week we have had some nice weather in Tennessee so I started cleaning on my porch. Slow progress but still I have some of it washed and plan on painting today. I will by no means get through but at least I have a start.

( :pink: ) Wash the north end banister railing.
( :pink: ) Wash the south end banister railing. DH did this for me
( :pink: ) Paint the north end banister railing. Starting Sat. Aug. 30th
() Paint the south end banister railing.Tomorrow 8/31/08
() Sweep the porch.
( :pink: ) Remove furniture.
( :pink: ) Wash furniture.
() Paint furniture. Tomorrow 8/31/08
() Remove window screens. I have done one but still need to do the other
() Wash windows.Done one but not the other
( :pink: ) Wash door.
() Stain door.
() Seal door.
() Put out new door mats
() Put furniture back on porch.
() Put out Scarcecrows.
() Put out pumpkins.
() Put out some mums.
() Sweep the sidewalk.
() Put out Fall flag.

Back Porch
() Wash the Porch.
() Paint the porch.
() Remove things from the tables
() Remove things that do not belong on the porch.
() Sweep the porch
( :pink: ) Remove screens
( :pink: ) Wash the windows.
( :pink: ) Clean doors.
( :pink: ) Stain the doors.
() Seal the doors.
() Put out new door mats.
() Decorate for fall
() Put out Fall flag.

I pretty much have my notebook in order.......I think. I will check on it. Maybe at night when I can not do any thing outside.

Well girls lets get this holiday season preparations going!!!!!!!!!!

Christmas3
:package: :package: :package:

give_me_a_latte

Retire Member
Jul 21, 2008
SE GA

This is my first year, and I'm not sure which plan will work best for me...so I'm just following both and picking and choosing and learning as I go. BUT I don't think I can focus on my porch this week. We're still in the throes of summer here, so if I do my porch now it'll get all gunked up again in a week. I may have to postpone these chores until we have cooler weather....then we'll be scrubbing and bleaching and all that fun stuff.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007

After posting in the thread about hurricane Gustuv, it just dawned on me that it could seriously effect my front porch cleaning plans...we are predicted (right now anyway) to get heavy rains the middle of the week...just when I'd planned to paint. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I can always switch things around if I need to.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com

How exciting! :flower:

Sunday and Monday will see my DH building our side 'porch', and restoring our front screened porch, wish us luck! My job is the paint, and there is a lot of painting to do! After the main structures are up, I need to prep and prime the wood, then paint. Most of the wood is white, the siding will be sage as well as some of the trim. The front porch door is black, and some of the wood closer to the roof (century home).

Our kitchen cabinets arrive on the 12th of September, so the porches MUST be done so DH can frame and drywall the kitchen!! :thud:

Lists:
DONE :rudolph: Gifts to be given & amount to spend
DONE :rudolph: Christmas card list
DONE :rudolph: Visits to make
DONE :rudolph: Parties/Entertaining
DONE :rudolph: Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties
DONE :rudolph: Goodies for Sharing/Gifts
DONE :rudolph: Freezing meal list
DONE :rudolph: Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc

Front porch to-do:
DONE :rudolph: Assemble supplies
DONE :rudolph: Remove everything from the porch
DONE :rudolph: Rug and floor mat - to purchase
DONE :rudolph: Screened porch couch - toss it! (still need to find a new one!)
DONE :rudolph: Side porch bench - fixed!
DONE :rudolph: New cushions for screened porch couch
DONE :rudolph: Take the screens off the windows
DONE :rudolph: Prep area for paint
() Remove windows and hardware, sand all surfaces, dust area and PAINT!
() Install new porch light
() Install mailbox slot
() Put new fabric on chair seats for screened porch (small dining set)
() Sew curtains and hang
() Bring back-in couch, table & chairs, and sideboard
() Hang votive candle chandelier over table
() Plant urn with fall flowers
DONE :rudolph: Weed front bed

Not a very detailed list, but easy enough to follow - I hope! ;-)

ETA:
Finished some of my list - but we are still awaiting for the weather to paint!! Will need to 'move on' and forward this to list to another week! My kitchen cabinets arrive on the 12th, granite countertops and glass backsplash the week following - then DH can install our tile floors!!! :pink:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007

I've decided to put the painting off a week, due to the predicted weather. I don't have a foyer and my entryway is right into my living room, so there's not much to do there and what there is I can do on living room week. Also, my back entry is my laundry room and I've worked on it all summer. So, I'll work on the back porch getting it cleaned off (AGAIN!) and ready to screen in as soon as we get the time and money at the same time! LOL!

My holiday prep chores will be:

*List of gifts to give-mostly done
*List of non perishable food items for holiday meals-partially done
*List of decorating supplies needed for this year
*List of trees for this year-done
*List of crafts to complete-list is done, some crafts are done

I also plan to spend at least one of the rainy days making banners for my kitchen and bedroom that say "Joyeux Noel", using beautiful solid red and red Christmas toile papers, silver ribbons and lots and lots of glitter!!!

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.

Will you put a post on your Blog of the finished banners, i would love to see them.

Love visiting your Blogs

Pamelajane.

I'm a believer

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007

This is my first proper attempt at HGP and I must say I am glad you guys are here. Even though the 31st is nearly over for me (well in 5 hours) I am determined to get my lists written tonight :grin:

FireWolf

Retire Member
Aug 31, 2008

I'm so excited to get started! We always go to my in-laws for Yule, this year they are finally coming to our house and I want it to be perfect, well, as perfect as we can make it anyway. :) DH is gone for the day and I am under orders of no cleaning, no housework, nothing but a pamper myself day, because I never do that for myself, but my lists are printed and tomorrow morning once he goes to work is a whole new game. Clean, organised and STRESS FREE Yule, here we come!!!

I'll be back with a more detailed list of things tomorrow. :)

I'm a believer

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007

Yay I started :party:

Only just but I thought strike while the iron is hot and I can keep the girls off the computer for a few minutes...

Lists:
( ) Gifts to be given, amt. to spend. Haven't started
( :grin: ) Christmas Card List - done except for the MHH list
( :grin: ) Visits to make - none that I know of yet...
( ) Parties.
( ) Menus for Christmas
( ) Goodies for Sharing/Gifts.
( ) Favorite meals to freeze ahead.
( ) Long-term shopping list.
:)grin: ) Create a Christmas planner notebook. Started but still a way to go.

Porch Week:
I have a deck out the front but the theory is the same
( :grin: ) Assemble supplies (including DH for the high stuff :haha: )
( ) sweep down any cobwebs
( ) cut down the tree that is trying to grow out the side of the deck...again
( ) take down fly screens and give them a good clean
( ) wash the outside of the windows
( ) weed the pavers leading to the steps, I will need to do this a number of times before Christmas with spring starting tomorrow
( ) clean inside and out of porch light
( ) wash down the outside of the front doors
( ) Wash down deck and weather permitting re-stain
[/color]

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008

It is very soothing to know that there is a plan -- and that things WILL get done. Probably not everything. So what? A lot more will get done than would if we were all alone, without these forums to help us!

I went outside and weeded and pulled lots of wild morning glories that were strangling my roses. I also cut back some forsythia branches. Then, I came back inside to drink cool water and read some posts. Life is good. Let's enjoy it together! ::eek:rnament: