HGP Week 1 - Front Porch (List) Week!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasCheerleader

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
Re: HGP Front Porch (List) Week!!!

Oh no! I'm late! My front porch needs a major overhaul! However I'm starting tonight by dragging the chairs off and washing them down. I'll be getting rid of the red gingham cushions and putting some autumn ones on.

I need to de-cobweb

Wash the windows

take the porch lights down and clean them

Need new rug!

Need new mini flag

I will buy some mums and when they are out, some pumpkins.

Let's see, what else?

Oh, I know! I need to hang my fall wreath on the door!

I WILL GET THIS DONE THIS WEEK!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland

ChristmasCheerleader you just made me remember! I need to purchase a flag to hang on my balcony. Dollar Tree here I come. :pink: I have unexpected extra money this week so I'm heading to Walmart's for the chair cushions for the patio chairs. Thanks. :flower:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!

I had a slight setback last night - or rather "detour". I had planned on cleaning the inside of the living room windows and also starting on the dusting in there. And the toddler was even being nice and quiet playing by herself letting me get on.

But when I wen to get the cleaning things from under the kitchen sink, I found a small flood. So I had to empty that out, pull out the shelf and backboard, try to find the hacksaw (I have NO idea where DH has put it as it's not where it's supposed to be) and sort out the clutter that was under there.

DH arrived home just as I was getting ready to put the pipes back together, so he did that, and we put the (now tidy) boxes back in. But we are leaving the shelves out to dry until the weekend, when we will cut a wider opening (the backboard got knocked, and it shoved the pipes apart as the opening is a bit too small) and put everything totally back together. Well, it's one less job in a few weeks time!! :haha:

But I did get to do one hour on my knitting last night, and I also managed a second hour as I had spent my lunchbreak knitting at my desk.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008

I am heading out really early this morning to work on the front porch - and front yard! It is in the high 90's this week - so work before 9 am is best.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

Started my lists:

- Meals to freeze (and added them to the HGP calendar)
- Gifts to give
- Crafts to make
- Baking to do
- Menu list for New Year's Eve supper and buffet
- Recipes to try

.. no front porch so.... if it's nice out pull out weeds and start cutting branches. If it's rainy this weekend... spaghetti sauce, finish lists and start crafts + try 1 recipe.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee

Sparklenana- I know what you mean about doing early work. The other day I washed the outside lights at 1pm ---I was sweating so much, I thought it was a work out. Today, I did my flower bed weeding at 8am while DS waited on the bus. I made it 15 minutes before the bees got angry with me.

I'm really enjoying doing a little each day. Hope the momentum continues ! :party:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!

Well, Gustav has put a definate "damper" (pun intended!! LOL) on my front porch plans this week, by dumping over 7 inches of rain on it...and it's still pouring. At least it's not coming down in sheets right now, like it has been for three days. And, we've been without power part of the time as well, so I haven't gotten much of anything done. Yesterday DH and I did manage to get in a 3 hour nap, but that's about all that was accomplished in the powerless house. :rotflol: And believe me, we are so not used to sleeping during the day, neither one of us slept well last night. Won't be making that mistake again! The good thing is that all schools have had power, so the kids have been in class and won't have to make that up in the spring!

Maybe next week I can catch up-the weather is supposed to be sunny and mid 80s. We'll see, now won't we?

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland

I have a question. I picked up a couple pots of mums to put on my newly clean balcony. They haven't begun to bloom but I'm sure they will soon. When I got them home I realized that my balcony is shaded all the time because the roofline hangs over, pass the balcony. Will my mums bloom even in the shade? I'm not a plant person (I use artificial) but I really wanted some mums this year to dress up the area. Please advise and TIA. :flower:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008

Here is one opinion: Your mums will bloom! They have been raised until they are ready to pop into bloom. The little bit of ambient sunlight will be enough to keep them going right into beautiful bloom. My advice -- water them thoroughly every day! They will need lots of water to keep those blooms living as long as possible!

im_cheryl

Retire Member
Dec 23, 2007
SoCal

Porch
New Mat - Lowes in the morning
PVC for A/C drip - Lowes in the morning
Sweep Cobwebs - DONE
Check for Bees/Wasps - DONE
Wash Windows Outside - DONE
Wash Windows Inside - DONE
Not much else to do, I try to keep the front porch uncluttered

Pond Area
Repair Lights - Lowes in the Morning
Trim Palm Tree - DONE
Trim Butterfly Bush - DONE
Trim Purple-Flowered Bush - Done
Pull Stray Grass - DONE
Pond Chemicals - DONE

September Porch Display
Puchase Straw - Saturday Morning, hopefully but may have to wait to Monday Morning
Get Decorations from Attic - Saturday Afternoon

Holiday Preparations
Gift List - Working on it
Christmas Card List - Kept up most of the year, I need to fine tune it
Schedule Visits - Will do that in about two weeks when I get together with the in-laws
Menus for All Holidays - Most of the menus are a tradition
Goodie Gift Lists - Standard gifts, may try a little craft or new bake item
Cook Eight Meals - Got one done, may have another on Saturday
12 Freezer Containers for leftovers to go home with guests - purchased
12 Freezer Containers for frozen meals - Need 6 more
Plan Last Minute Gifts - Usually baked items or Fundraiser items
Plan Baking - I need to pick out 2 new items to add to traditional baking
Make Sugar Cookie Dough to Freeze - Saturday Night with the kids

Saturday is my main work day so I hope that it all goes well for me.
It has and now I am off to Lowes
~Cheryl

I'm a believer

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007

My update..I'm not as organised as I expected to be. The girls, work, sick family sort of interupted but at least I acheived something and I am happy for that. I still have after dinner tonight to do more list work

Lists:
( ) Gifts to be given, amt. to spend. Now started
:)grin:) Christmas Card List -done except for the MHH list
:)grin:) Visits to make - none that I know of yet...
( ) Parties.
( ) Menus for Christmas
( ) Goodies for Sharing/Gifts.
( ) Favorite meals to freeze ahead.
( ) Long-term shopping list.
:)grin:) Create a Christmas planner notebook. Started but still a way to go.

Porch Week:
I have a deck out the front but the theory is the same
:)grin:) Assemble supplies (including DH for the high stuff )
( ) sweep down any cobwebs
( ) cut down the tree that is trying to grow out the side of the deck...again
( ) take down fly screens and give them a good clean
:)grin:) wash the outside of the windows
( ) weed the pavers leading to the steps, I will need to do this a number of times before Christmas with spring starting tomorrow
( ) clean inside and out of porch light, Done the outside so far
( :grin: ) wash down the outside of the front doors
( ) Wash down deck and weather permitting re-stain

im_cheryl

Retire Member
Dec 23, 2007
SoCal

Hello Cheryl
Nice of you to say Hi
~Cheryl

wantabe

Retire Member
Jan 11, 2008
Southwest Georgia

Well, I am almost through with my Front Porch week! I must say-I am proud that I followed through and completed this week's work. The only thing I have left to complete for the Front Porch is DH is going to reseal the porch while it is empty and clean!

Lists:

( ) Gifts to be given, amt. to spend. Still working on this.
( :applause: ) Christmas Card List-NA
( :rotflol: ) Visits to make-same basicly every year
( :applause: ) Parties-Halloween Party-Plans started-will follow Halloween Countdown
( :applause: ) Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas. Pretty much the same as every year
( :applause: ) Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Started my list-I am sure I will add to this
( :help: ) Favorite meals to freeze ahead. Never done this--any ideas?
( :confused: ) Long-term shopping list. I will never be through with this
( :applause: ) Create a Christmas planner notebook. Of course, there is always room for improvement.

Porch Week:
( :applause: ) Move everything off of porch
( :applause: ) Clean off all cobwebs
( :applause: ) Remove and stack limbs from tree DH cut down (DH tried to get me to leave it for him to do--I would not stop, so he helped!)
( :applause: ) Put up extra chairs
( :applause: ) Wash off outside windows.
( :applause: ) Start bag of aluminum cans for recycling

I hope I can continue to follow the plan! My DH kept asking me why I was working outside (I NEVER do anything outside), he asked me if it was some sort of trick. He thought I was working outside so he would have to do more inside!

goldenqueenalicia

Retire Member
Jul 16, 2008

okay I'm behind already

never got to my front porch or back porch
and haven't really worked on any lists

however i did decide that the freeze ahead meals don't work for us so I'm gonna toss that idea out
now the extended shopping list will

so much todo

hugs
alicia

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008

Goldenqueenalicia -- I'm with you. The freezer meals just DO NOT work for our family either.

To make up for that -- I am trying to slowly empty out our freezer and refrigerator and cupboard. Then - during the holiday season -- I will try to be really thoughtful about what I buy in the way of food. So I don't waste things.

I have started working on the calendars and the lists. It really hit me that there is an awful lot packed into those few short weeks from Thanksgiving to New Years. It is kind of staggering to compare it to what normally goes on in the same number of weeks.

Also -- finances are becoming more and more of a concern for American families. That is very sobering. Thank goodness we have our MHH family to help us with ideas for so much joy using so few dollars! :bigsnow:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com

goldenqueenalicia I wouldn't worry about, don't beat yourself up! There is time, especially if you have weeks that have down time (because you don't have that area) to make-up.

I was unable to get to my needed fix-ups/ renovations and will still have to do it! We are waiting for the weather and two building permits :bang: for the repairs.

Best luck :leprechaun: