HGP Week 1 - Front Porch (List) Week!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
Re: HGP Front Porch (List) Week!!!

I'm back with my lists! I'm in Houston, so I was waiting to see where Gustav is headed. Didn't know if I wanted to tackle the outside if a hurricane was coming. There may still be a rain event at the end of this week, but I think I'll take my chances.

Lists:

( ) Gifts to be given/Budget: Budget is complete.
( ) Christmas Card List — working on this. Need work info from DH. May be difficult to get it out of him this early.
( :grin: ) Visits to make: None
( :grin: ) Parties: None
( ) Menus for Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas: Need to rebuild what I had in previous years. My hard drive died a few weeks back and I didn't have everything backed up. I know... I know.... I now have a back up hard drive.
( ) Goodies for Sharing/Gifts: Debating on whether or not to do this.
( ) Favorite meals to freeze ahead: Will probably not do this. We're not especially active this time of year. No relatives close by and the kids are still quite young.
( ) Long-term shopping list divided into canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc.: work progress
( :grin: ) Create a Christmas planner notebook: Forms are all printed!!

Porch Week: I would like to include the backyard. I have a ton of landscape work to do and it is still very hot.

( ) Power wash front porch, back porch, driveway, sidewalk, and play set
( ) Throw away any old toys, anything that looks like it's seen better days
( ) Mulch around play set
( ) Change out decorative flag
( ) Decide what to do with stone in garage from rebuild of front portion of house. Maybe use them around trees or flower borders out back.
( ) Trim the ten gazillion bushes
( ) Clean patio furniture
( ) Clean lights and fan
( ) Wash front door
( ) Caulk around windows (may wait until it's a little cooler for this)
( ) Plant flowers in containers
( ) Fix my decorative frog. He broke earlier this year.
( ) Weed!!
( ) Caulk around upper area of garage (will then need to paint)
( ) Find someone to prune trees
( ) Paint back door (may wait until it's cooler)

I know there is probably more, but it's a start. I have so much to do around the house! Anything I can get done this year will be a great start!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

give_me_a_latte said:
This is my first year, and I'm not sure which plan will work best for me...so I'm just following both and picking and choosing and learning as I go. BUT I don't think I can focus on my porch this week. We're still in the throes of summer here, so if I do my porch now it'll get all gunked up again in a week. I may have to postpone these chores until we have cooler weather....then we'll be scrubbing and bleaching and all that fun stuff.

I'm in the same boat. I've only done the Christmas Countdown as our 3-room house never really needed the larger plan. This year I'm excited to get started but not sure which will work best.

I was going to read and print everything in advance, but decided to wait until today and kind of "make a day" of it. lol.

:bigsnow:

Jadyne

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007

I'm going to have a busy week. There's so much to do in the garden still and putting up the produce as it comes in leaps and bounds. I have a little head start as I was thinking about the HGP start for a few weeks.

List Making

[x] Gifts to be purchased and budget
[x] Gifts to be made
[ ] Christmas Card List computerized (did this last year and lost it in a hard drive crash)
[x] Theme, Menus and Dates for entertaining
[ ] Visits/trips to make scheduled

Porches

[ ] Wash siding, decking and railing on front porch
[ ] Declutter front porch
[ ] Wash chairs
[ ] Move summer planting supplies to garage
[ ] Declutter back porch
[ ] Clean out flower beds
[ ] Figure out better place for garbage can
[ ] Buy mums for color
[ ] Shop for new porch lights
[ ] Trim bushes and lilacs
[ ] New flag
[ ] Hang fall wreaths

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!

Pamelajane said:
Will you put a post on your Blog of the finished banners, i would love to see them.

Pamelajane.

Well, now you KNOW I will! I make ya'll look at all my little homemade stuff!! LOL! I can't wait to get started on them...but I'm not sure I'll have enough paper to complete them and I'm not driving to Little Rock in the hurricane rain to get more, so I may just finish up what I have started and then see how much I can get done of the Joyeux Noel ones.

By the way, speaking of blogs, be sure you check out Give_Me_a_Latte_'s blog-but be prepared to be HUNGRY!! Fabulous looking stuff!!!

FireWolf

Retire Member
Aug 31, 2008

Ok, I'm back with a list. :grin:

Holiday Prep:
[] Yule Planner
[] card list
[X] gift list/budget
[] menus-Thanksgiving, my birthday, Yule
[] baking list
[] freezer meal list (we do this every month anyway)
[] long term shopping list

Cleaning and Organizing:
[X] trim hedges
[] finish path
[] sand and paint front door and front windows (weather permitting)
[X] spray weeds
[] turn the soil in the front garden
[] clear driveway
[] clean windows and door
[] pressure wash dog area (weekly chore)

To Do:
[] replant roses (not necessary, so time permitting)
[] check garden shop for black gravel
[X] buy paint
[X] trim Nikita's nails

I don't really have a front porch so that gives me more time to work on other things this week. I really want to work on the main bathroom today and some decluttering of the house while dad is in CT. I am going to get it started right now so I will list later as I go!!!

( :pink: ) Put on MerryChristmasRadio
( :pink: ) Spray down floor mats outside and Welcome mat
( :pink: ) Hang mats on fence to dry
( :pink: ) Wash entrance rug in machine
( :pink: ) Hang entrance mat out to dry
( :pink: ) Clean toilet
( :pink: ) Vacuum Bathroom floor
( :pink: ) Restock TP in the bathroom drawer
( :pink: ) Vacuum entranceway
( :pink: ) Clean shoes on shelf in entranceway
( :pink: ) Clean out Bathroom cabinets
( :pink: ) Clean Bathroom counters
( :pink: ) Inventory cabinets and meds in bathroom
( :pink: ) Do the dishes
( ) Clean out Hallway (has lots of boxes in it right now)
( ) Vacuum Hallway
( ) Vacuum Laundry room
( :pink: ) Change over laundry as needed all day
( :pink: ) Take a break and go to Michaels and buy labelmaker with 50% off coupon in the Sunday ads (good til Today)

I hope that is all I need to get done today without overdoing it....lol

NancyinCA

Retire Member
Aug 17, 2008

How exciting to kick off the HGP! We had the exterior of the house painted in August--nothing like a fresh coat of paint to make us realize how shabby the house looked before :slap:. With the power washing and painting some of my regular HGP tasks don't need to be done on the outside of the house.

For the deep cleaning part of this week I've added the patio, since the living room and dining room look out onto it.

Lists:
[ ] Gifts to be given--Have a "Christmas Brain" notebook that I keep ideas in and will refer to over the next few weeks.
[ ] Christmas card list--this is DH's domain and he does it well, so no change contemplated!
[ ] Visits to make--need to check on whose turn it is to host DH's side of the family, all the other events are here.
[ ] Menus for Thanksgiving and Christmas--mostly done. Must add menu for parent's 60th anniversary dinner.
[ ] Long-term shopping list--haven't done this before, but will set one up

Cleaning Tasks:
Front Entry
[ ] Wash door mat
[ ] Clean light fixture
[ ] Sweep or vacuum front walk and entry floor
[ ] Wash window and window screen, including window channel
[x] Clip ferns and neaten shrubbery
[ ] Weed front planter bed
[x] Wash lighted house number
[ ] Polish carriage lights
[ ] Remove weeds from driveway and drainage strip
[ ] Hose down driveway
[ ] Sweep walk to side yard

Patio:
[ ] Vacuum door mat
[ ] Clean light fixtures (3)
[ ] Sweep or vacuum patio floor
[x] Wash windows and window screens
[ ] Wash patio furniture
[ ] Polish door hardware
[ ] Groom rose garden
[ ] Groom/refresh color pot
[ ] Remove weeds from expansion joints
[ ] Tidy/weed thyme garden

That should keep DH, DS and me busy for a few days.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

I've washed off my front porch this morning. Next I'm spraying the poor little spiders. I told them about it so they can move it they don't want to be sprayed. lol

emily_hope

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007

I'm on the ball, so far anyway. I cleaned the front porch today. Everything that needed done, got done. It took me three hours. I had the time for it today and nothing much else to do, so I just jumped in and did it. And DH is cutting the grass and manicuring the lawn. I've also got a good start on all my lists.

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008

I think I'm going to have to change my cleaning area for the week. It's just too hot outside. It was almost 100ºF with the heat index. So, what I'm thinking is that I'll work on my office which is part of the master bedroom. It's a horrible mess in there. Whenever it gets a bit cooler I'll just add in chores from List Week until they are all done. Off to make my new lists....

Jadyne

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007

I am so-o-o looking forward to a peaceful organized Christmas (and fall)! This is the eighth year for me to do the HGP and each year the planning gets easier and the results are better. To encourage all of you who just found us, I don't always get everything on my weekly lists finished, but all together it adds up to a lot of progress. Make the plan work for you :applause:

List Making

[x] Gifts to be purchased and budget
[x] Gifts to be made
[ ] Christmas Card List computerized (did this last year and lost it in a hard drive crash)
[x] Theme, Menus and Dates for entertaining
[x] Visits/trips to make scheduled

Porches

[x] Wash siding, decking and railing on front porch
[x] Declutter front porch
[x] Wash chairs
[ ] Move summer planting supplies to garage
[ ] Declutter back porch
[x] Clean out flower beds
[ ] Figure out better place for garbage can
[ ] Buy mums for color
[ ] Shop for new porch lights
[/] Trim bushes and lilacs
[ ] New flag
[ ] Hang fall wreaths

goldenqueenalicia

Retire Member
Jul 16, 2008

I'm so excited to be doing this on here this year

()master gift list
()gifts to buy
()gifts to make
()Christmas card list
()menus for upcoming holidays
()parties to attend and have
()travel arrangements
()master shopping lists
()baking lists

Front porch
()gather tools
()sweep down window sill and columns
()shake and beat rugs
()sweep porch and stairs and walkway
()wipe down door
()clean window
()water flowers
()trim bushes
()wash pillow covers
()clean off wicker table

back deck
()sweep deck and stairs and walkway
()wipe down door and screen door
()replace screen with storm window
()water planters
()wipe down siding
()wash rug, maybe replace
()shine bell

hopefully I'll get this done by Saturday

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!

Hello there, I suspect I may have joined in the wrong Plan a few minutes ago...oops.

Can I join you here though?

I am going to use the plan to get the house re-organised after a couple of years of mayhem as well as getting ready for Christmas. We have decided that we are travelling this year (down to both our families, but renting a house between the 2) so I have to ask FIL to arrange a fake tree for this house (he works for a company which sells nice but cheap ones). And I am one who is juggling rooms a little, as there is a school being built next door to us - they are really trying to finish off the landscaping in a hurry as the kids are already back in their old premises and want to get into the new one - and there is dust flying all the time. So I will leave the porch and outdoors until next or the following week instead. And I have a few nights of cookie making this week and next as various people are leaving the toddler's creche (changing ownership next week and some minders staying with old company in new locations - and the toddler is probably doing the same).

This week:
( ::eek:rnament: ) Budget - finalise
() Finish planning master present list still have a few ideas needed
() Make cards list and check all addresses (ring both mum's)
() Arrange for FIL to buy a small fake tree
() Download and print all photos from my phone and email (I have 2 years worth and the album looks bare) downloaded but still need to print
() Order labels for my knits
() Check that tickets for Santa steam train are ordered (and dates allocated)
( ::eek:rnament: )Start Lion's Club box

Living Room
() Declutter magazine shelf
() Clean inside window
() Brush walls, ceiling
() Dust pictures
() Clean TV screen, mirror, switches
() Move furniture and hoover all corners, dust skirting boards
() Empty, clean out and restock drinks cupboard
() Dust furniture - thoroughly

Winged One :grin:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

Always welcome, Winged One! :-D

Love all the cute symbols everyone has used to show their tasks as checked off!

I am checking back in to report that I was able to finish my HGP tasks for cleaning the front porch and I am so glad it is done!

I am lucky in that our front porch is mostly unused (not our main entrance) so it doesn't take me long to get it cleaned off.

But just having the dirt and cobwebs gone makes it look so much better!

I haven't made much progress on my lists, but my plan is to use the rest of this week for that!

DH and I ended up emptying the entire back porch (glassed in room) and painting the concrete floor with an epoxy kind of paint. We've been wanting to for a long time and the paint went on sale this weekend so the back porch got a good cleaning too! Which will be nice when I get to that room - officially - on the HGP.

I also need to try and get my car deep cleaned - this may be a good week to fit that in since my cleaning tasks are kind of "light".

:grin:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland

Here's my update

[ :haha: ] vacuumn outdoor carpet.

[ ] throw out old plant pots.

[ :haha: ] wipe down railing

[ :haha: ] wipe down patio furniture

[ :haha: ] clean patio windows/doors

So far so good. You can read more about my day over at my blog
The Harvest. Let's hope I can keep up this momentum.

I don't know why but everytime I choose one of the orange colors my words turn out blue. :confused:

WideEyes

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007

Even with sick kiddies this weekend, I was able to accomplish the cleaning of my porchs! I ended up cleaning the outside of all the windows. DH came out to help and he decided to scrub the house! Our porchs are small. Cleaning them really made a big impact, though! What a motivator to stay on the plan.

I made a list of things I need to buy for outside. After a brief shopping trip, my porch cleaning will be complete!

I will spend the rest of the week working on my lists. I tried over the weekend but everytime I sat down my DD, whose 2, climbed on my lap. She didn't feel good at all. I wasn't about to turn her away when she wanted me the most.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee

DH is back down to Tampa for 2 weeks, and the kids were back in school today, so I thought I could type out my list and let you know what I've done ( Not to mention, keep myself accountable)

( ) sweep front porch and back step
( :haha: ) clean outdoor light fixtures - Saved two for later, after the bees are gone.
( ) pull weeds from beds, front and back yard
( ) plant flowers on deck
( :haha: ) fill bird feeders Not sure if we'll feed the birds when we move to Tampa, so I want to get rid of it.
( :haha: ) clean front windows

Holiday List
( ) List of Gifts to be given and budget
( :haha: ) review and update card list
( :haha: ) review holiday meal menus / recipes to take with me when we visit family over Christmas

Hopefully, I can stay on track this year.

give_me_a_latte

Retire Member
Jul 21, 2008
SE GA

Cathymac said:
By the way, speaking of blogs, be sure you check out Give_Me_a_Latte_'s blog-but be prepared to be HUNGRY!! Fabulous looking stuff!!!

Hahahaha!! Thanks Cathymac!!! I am definitely a foodie. My husband's co-workers certainly enjoy it as well! (Since they get all the leftovers)

give_me_a_latte

Retire Member
Jul 21, 2008
SE GA

sallyj08 said:
I think I'm going to have to change my cleaning area for the week. It's just too hot outside. It was almost 100ºF with the heat index. So, what I'm thinking is that I'll work on my office which is part of the master bedroom. It's a horrible mess in there. Whenever it gets a bit cooler I'll just add in chores from List Week until they are all done. Off to make my new lists....

That's what I'm doing. I made my porch list but we'll tackle it when we get into Fall (Or at least stop having a hurricane every weekend!!!)