January 2012 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
I've been in the organizing mood again. I like some of the tasks from the calendar but the incomplete ones like cleaning one shelf in a cabinet I'm just not built for. If I stop after one shelf it will be swirling around my head to finish the cabinet until I do, so I will just pick and choose stuff from the calendar this year. I put a box of kitchen stuff together for donating with everything we don't use and things with a specific purpose, but I can use something else instead. I got a big bag with an old comforter and some scarves and gloves and old PJ's packed for donating and a smaller box with some decorations that I don't need. I think we'll go back to cleaning the basement again. We have a few more electronic things that need recycling down there. We need to get Hubby's area organized and cleaned with a system that he can keep up with.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Craft Lady...I know what you mean about the one shelf thing...hard for me to....I am substituting where ever I ant on the calendar...for example...no way I can clean the top of the cabinets since I hurt my arm...will need help with that one...so I cleaned the top of a dresser I use in the ktichen....I figure as long as it's one little task...I can count it... :)

I think its more the idea of doing one little thing every day...although there are some good ones on the calendar that I might otherwise not think of or avoid..lol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
What I did is cross off on my calendar things I will not do or have already been done. However I added decluttering hot-spots at the bottom of the month

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I've already done some substituting too. My kitchen cabinets go to the ceiling but I do have two ledges above both pantries that I have wanted to declutter and dust for a LONG time. Just yesterday was not the right time. We were gone all day for a funeral out of town, but also there are a few areas that became dumping grounds around Christmas that are driving me crazy and I really need to get to them first. I made sure I still did at least one thing (cleared out one of the piles from my bedroom) then looked ahead on the calendar to a task I don't have (nightstand drawers) and will do those ledges then. I plan on keeping a separate list of the things that for whatever reason I couldn't get to and will substute when one of the days there is something I don't have or doesn't need to be done.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Yep, I'll definitely be adding to the list for January. I think I may have written this before but next week I am going through the garage to seriously reduce my scrapbooking stash, but also I know I have some Christmas things out there (tins for example that I bought years ago to give cookies and candy in as gifts).

I also plan on going through my under the bed storage and see if there are any clothes that I can pass along, as well as a pair of boots I found in my closet...

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Love all the posts-it is all about focused flexibility--I don't know why, but having a weekly list of tasks to focus on, but being flexible in doing what works best for the time I have available is just so helpful...I guess it is that feeling of accomplishment--not to mention how much better my family functions without the clutter..

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am going to try the calendar for a while. I like the small steps and each are small enough if 2 needed to be combined in one day you can. Printing it out now and putting it into my weekly calendar I keep at my lunch making station

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday, January 6th..... The trash and recycling trucks have come and gone.... and now.... those cans are ready to be filed up again! Working for TEN MINUTES in each room today... to begin!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decluttered emails today... had over 400... only about 100 left... eurk! and these are personal emails.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Luludou I did the same thing this morning. I also went through my notebook planner today and took out all of last years forms and replaced them with new ones.

Tonight when I get home I'm going to start decluttering the laundry thats in the guest bedroom. :)

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
We just decluttered the refrigerator. I have the dishwasher running. I swept the kitchen & DGD mop it. Let her take a break so she could help me. This child loves to clean, must be her age:) DH can take the trash we have bagged up out later...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
went through my to-dolists from last year, notes, appointments & remade a new notebook with what needs to be done & kept. threw out the old notebook.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Did more paper decluttering.... haven't filed in quite awhile so my bedstand was full of papers. So, as long as I was looking for papers I decided to file the whole lot! DONE!!! that is a job I abhor and always procrastinate in doing. Now that it is done I feel a whole lot better.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
January 7th 2011
Today I decluttered my nightstand. Got rid of a few old necklaces, bracelets that were broken or changed as well as some odds & ends. empty boxes, etc... I could've decluttered more though and I will keep that in mind next time I do it. Also got rid of one book in there which I won't read.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Everyone is working so hard...GREAT job!

This evening it is back to the basement....I'll be doing up some laundry and working on the basement with a laundry room focus this evening...I started it last week but it is FAR from done...so much STUFF!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Sunday Jan 8 2011
Decluttered the drawers of the office desk. They are all cleaned and everything is lined up. Threw out a small garbage bag of stuff.

I'm realizing I have to limit what comes IN the house if I want to do less decluttering.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decluttered 2 doors of the armoire in the office-guest bedroom. got rid of an old camera, lots of phone books and a few odds & ends. the rest got put in its right place.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
On Sat. (1-7) I put the pantry back together. Was so unorganized from the holidays. Have some stuff to use up. Took Jaymee a few items that I had so much of.

Today (1-8) the tree finally came down. Looks so bare and open now.