January Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Let's get going for 2014!

I have a big goal to get the rest of my boxes/tubs gone through from my big move last year.

Slowly, surely I want to go through them and pare down!

With my siblings here over the new year, they gave me permission to go through our grandmother's and great aunt's stuff (I ended up with a lot of it) and if things are broken, not good, to just get rid of them.

January I plan on a lot of quiet, dark, long evenings and I will start gently.

Slowly, quietly, for this 1st month of the new year. Making lists, plans for the rest of the year. Maybe open a box or tote and go through.

What declutter/organising tasks do you have set for 2014?
What will you work on in January?

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
January will be the basement... more books, dvds, audio cassettes to get rid of. More stuff from the catch-all corner also. get rid or put away the rest of the kiddy toys there (no need to keep them out anymore as we have no more young kids coming here.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
January my focus is on the kid's bedrooms. I want to get them completely reorganized, decluttered and cleaned.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I plan on cleaning the laundry room and the catch all room. My daughter just moved out to her own place and left that got a lot of stuff shoved into it for the holidays. I have some reorganizing to do in the laundry room.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
January 2014… is THE KITCHEN!!!!!! Since I won't be here all month (dh and I leave in the middle of January)…. I began working on the kitchen…. on December 26th. It is a very small room…. and it has been stuffed with unnecessary junk!!!!!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I really need to go through dh's office here at the house? He has tons of Ministry books Bible study books etc. lots and lots of files on sermons and files on different books of the Bible, weddings and funerals that he performed. Files, files, and more files!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The first thing I am going to do is sort through all the Christmas decorations as I am putting them away. I really don't love everything I have so it is time for things to go. I also want to do through the kitchen drawers. There is so much junk in there.
My room a month room is my bedroom, so I really want to dejunk in there.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
January De-clutter Area

Well, looking around I think I will start with the homeschooling books ... have too many and all a mess.
:snowman2:
I will donate ones I don't need to our moms homeschooling freebie table at monthly meetings!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My focus this month is going to be craft and school supplies.

Lot of bins and baskets to go through.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have been making some reasonable progress on decluttering in the study, kitchen and dining room the past week. And we also went through DD's closet (again!) as she has grown a little recently, so there are 2 bags of clothes for DN's (and a 3rd bag of things not good enough for them, that we will send to the clothes bank for recycling).

The big thing I hope to make progress on this year is my stash of craft materials, especially the fabrics and card making bits. Hopefully by finding time to make up the planned projects - but if not, that I will find the strength to say "no" and get rid of some to a more worthy home.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
So far I reorganized all the closets in my apartment. Moving shoes from the floor to the shelves, getting rid of some shoe boxes in the process. I also have been working on the kitchen cabinets. I realized that I'm not using all the cabinets properly. One cabinet hardly has anything in it while another cabinet is jammed packed with stuff. SMH So I'm relocating things for easier access. My next job is to tackle the paper.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
January!!

In the past, January has been my month for thinking about storage areas (like the garage and shed). This year though, I'm changing January to a master bedroom focus. The master bedroom was a December area, but with Christmas and the end of the school year craziness I never really got around to proper decluttering there.

So... now that it's January I have some time. I'm working on the wardrobe at the moment. Getting there. It's a big job!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Working on digging out the basement. I have one corner almost done Have built in shelves almost full with things that my parents use for their rentals, there is more stuff than the shelves will fit so still going to need some of the cabinets and shelves they already use. Lots of things have gone to the garbage already and some out to the garage for my mothers spring garage sale. Heading back down there today

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hi, I'd like to join you this year. :) For January, I'd like to work on the Master Bedroom first and then the office area. It became a catchall for Christmas wrapping and now a place to store Christmas recycling/trash until the township pick up next week.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
HolidayMom…. Hurray! I'm so happy that you are jumping in!!! The more of us that are posting…. the stronger and more enthusiastic we are!

OK!!! I start cleaning out the very back…. of the under-counter cabinets in the kitchen. I found cans and boxes…. that were "Best… in 2012"!!!! THAT is something to NOT be proud of!!!! It is so good…. to get that stuff…. Out The Door!!!! There are three more of those big, under-counter cabinets… to go through. Baby Steps. Now… a rest…. with my feet up. "Rome wasn't built in a day!"

You know, Holiday Mom…. I ALWAYS let some room…. turn into "a catchall"!!!! I wonder if I can ever….. stop doing that.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just got 3 bags of stuff out the door. Some Christmas stuff that I am not a real fan off and a few ratty clothes from my room.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Great job, Katrina!!!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Good for you, Katrina! 3 bags is a lot.

My whole house needs some serious work in the declutter department. For January, I'm doing as Annie says and starting gently with obvious stuff that has built up in the living room area, especially over the holiday time. I'm doing a little every day. I really want to keep this area cleaner this year. Then I feel like I can breathe and I don't have to cringe if someone comes by unexpectedly.