January Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today will be a "paperwork day". I hope to get iots of recycle papers Out The Door!!! My shredder is alive and working well.

Last night, I saw part of an episode of one of the "hoarder shows". It was confusing coming in 2/3 of the way through the program. When I turned the show on….. a professional crew was at the hoarder house… working with a big truck. The hoarder mom…. had a "breakdown"… and made the professional crew carry EVERYTHING back into the house. That day's filming ended. The house was still stuffed to the brim with trash.

The next scene opened at the end of the 30 days… with the landlord doing for the inspection. Apparently…. after the profeessional crew had been dismissed….. the other sons, daughters & families…. had spent the rest of the 30 days…. cleaning, sorting and decluttering the house. (We saw none of that…. and none of the mother's actions over the rest of the 30-days.) But the house was much, much better… and the landlord said…. if the work continued…. she would NOT evict the mother and daughter.

Unusual show. Oh well.. On to my own work!!!

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I got a lot of glass to the recycling bin at Target.
Also took a bag of plastic grocery shopping bags. I need to remember to use my reuseable bags for quick trips to the store!!!

A lot more glass with the holidays- wine, champagne, beer bottles.

Whoo- that's what happens when you host NYE!!!!! :)

SantasGirl- SO happy to see you here. Look forward to hearing your progress over the winter! I will check out the organizing plan at organized home. TFS!

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decluttered some empty boxes from the basement. I keep some for Christmas gifts but dd cleared out all her shoe boxes and there are way to much.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decluttered the stuff by the basement door... got rid of stuff but not enough! I had been through there last fall so there wasn't as much to declutter... unless I decide to really purge one day.
Went through my books... with an objective of 10. found 10 to give away! with my ereader don't need all those hundreds and hundreds of books.

I've got boxes downstairs with extra attachements (for small hand-held vaccum and multi-chopper). Never used the attachments, probably never will. do you keep them until the vaccum or chopper go dead? or do you get rid of them? My chopper is dying a slow death but is still working for now. Almost never use the small vaccum so it's not dying.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've got boxes downstairs with extra attachements (for small hand-held vaccum and multi-chopper). Never used the attachments, probably never will. do you keep them until the vaccum or chopper go dead? .

I've always taken them to the thrift store. Of course once you do that you will decided you could use one of them. lol

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The house has been at a stand-still this week. So much going on with school and sports this week. My Kangaroo Bin arrived and is looking at me saying: "I could be of much better use if you took the plastic wrap off of me."

Hope to put it to good use this week, as my schedule will not be quite as frantic.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decluttered my nightstand. got rid of a few barrettes, put the books down in the basement, got rid of some papers and filed others. Now I have a neat nightstand with space in it.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
One of the things I have found helps me a lot is to post a weekly list on the Weekly Wonders thread that MrsSoup starts every week.

There is something really nice and empowering about going there and marking off when you are done with something.

Annie

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yes!

One of the things I have found helps me a lot is to post a weekly list on the Weekly Wonders thread that MrsSoup starts every week.

There is something really nice and empowering about going there and marking off when you are done with something.

Annie
Agreed! Yes!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I'm Done!

Well, looking around I think I will start with the homeschooling books ... have too many and all a mess.

I will donate ones I don't need to our moms homeschooling freebie table at monthly meetings!!
Okie Dokie ... I did the books. De-cluttered for January!

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
Been working on my Room a month for January which is my office. I have been going through every nook and cranny. Cleaned out all the drawers of the desk, and have been cleaning out files. Hubby burned a bunch of papers, still need to go through my 4 file drawers, almost done and things look amazing. Even revamped some curtains I had to replace the very faded ones. My DD and I have a challenge, which ever office looks better at the end of the month, the other buys lunch! I so want to win!! I never got it thoroughly cleaned in 2013 and it made my paperwork during farm season miserable! Hoping I have learned my lesson...

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Great job, ladies!

I haven't updated in a while. I ended up decluttering our bedroom and I am currently working on the basement.

I'm taking a 15 minutes at a time approach since this room has been a catch all room for 15 yrs. I'm finding that is so much more doable. I don't go down there any more and freeze not knowing where to begin. Now, I pick a place and start for 15 minutes. If I get more done, super! I will be thrilled if I get the basement decluttered by April.

It's nice knowing that there are others doing the same thing.

Mary

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Spontaneous decluttering today, went to buy DS new bedding for his room and when we got home we started really tidying his room. I think we will get 5-6 bags of clothing and trash out the door. I am so pleased with him as normally he is a little reluctant to let me help him.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Ministry

I was sort of helping other homeschool moms de-clutter books, mostly. We all have TOO many! LOL But when one is done with an age ... pass it on. So, at this monthly mom meeting put on by another sweet mommy, we can bring freebie books to pass on and if there are leftovers by the end of the meeting, I have volunteered to take them to the Friends of the Library or there is this new homeschool resource building starting up. That way, the moms clean out and it stays out!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Everybody is doing so GOOD!

About the only thing I am cleaning out is a VERY VERY small fraction of some material by getting some stuff made up for the baby.

Farmermom4 hope you win! :) That is a good way to do it!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
This week I've been trying to put 2-3 items per day in my new clutter bin (which is the roughly the size of an outdoor trashcan). It is parked right smack in the middle of the master closet, so I look at every day. It's hard to let go of perfectly good clothes -- but some of these things I haven't worn in years. Like all the suits for work. I don't work in an office any more. But if I ever went back... but I know I can get rid of some of those heels. How on EARTH did I use to live in heels that high. Oh my Lord. My back hurts just looking at them.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ok finished DS room. Still need to do about 3 loads of washing and put it away and then all done. He did a great job of decluttering. He had 1 bag of trash, 1 bag to the army surplus store, and about 5 bags to the charity shop. Phew. Totally unplanned but I am so glad that that job is done.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
WTG Katrina! It is hard for our boys to get rid of their stuff but once they do ouff! it does good.

Trying to declutter recipes... that will be a long-term project as I am getting rid of notebooks of recipes & rewriting them on cards (only those I want to keep).

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I wonder how many total pounds of clutter were ousted this January from our homes.