Join me in choosing your "Word" for 2008

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

holly-ivy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
sunny California
It has been a challenge to come up with one word for this year. In a prayer group I was given the word sanctify: to set apart. Last year my word was peace, which really pleased me. Over and over again the word persevere has been mentioned in conversations with friends. Still wasn't satisfied with that either. Seems like I'm getting more and more sidetracked with both actions and thoughts so I've finally decided on the word FOCUS.

CanadianJingles mentioned this in her last post and it leaped out at me.

FOCUS - the concentration of attention or energy on something.

It will be interesting to see how I can apply this to my life.

stoerkel

Retire Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm new here so I'm "late" in choosing my word. I tried to come up with a new one but cannot find anything the fits so I'm using one already taken:

PERSEVERE
meaning: to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulites, obstacles or discouragement; continue steadfastly

This fits my life perfectly right now. Thanks for the inspiring posts from everyone and I really like the idea of doing an altered word or other paper craft. :flower:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Just going the group myself, but this is a great concept. I think my word came easy... and it's going to be "Me". I've been caring for my father the last two years and thing were rough. What I primarily did was loose focus of the things that are important to me and make me a heathier person. So this year I want to grasp on to the things that make ME feel good again!

Sounds a little self centered I know, but it's really simple. As my husband says, If momma ain't happy, no one is happy!! LOL :irishkiss:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
ME is the best word to pick! Good for you! You deserve to take some time for yourself.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I really fell off the wagon on this and lost my focus, but I'm getting better again, I think. One of the things I have done is to start a list of things I want to do and try for the first time. I've already crossed off learning to cross stitch (on my third cross stitch kit now), made chocolate lollipops and bought a great pair of jeans that I still love after multiple washings.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Isn't it amazing how those small things can make us happy. I LOVE IT!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Ok ladies the year is a little over half over and I'm curious lol. For all of you who chose a word for the year-How is it going?

My word was GOOD. Actually it was to do things that make me feel GOOD. I think I've succeeded with my word about 75% of the time but would like to do better.

Please remind us what your word was and how you're doing with it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Exercise. I am exercising control over my life. I exercised my control over some of the UFOs in my life, exercised my ability to declutter my work area and mainly I am exercising my body. Started going to the Y three times a week and playing Wii Sports the other days. We now have Wii Fit so I'm doing that every day also. I went to see a nutritionalist, did my yearly physical exam with my dr, went to the dentist and this week I see the dr who treats my fibromyalgia. So I've been Exercising control over my Life instead of my Life Exercising control over me.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Ahorsesoul said:
Exercise. I am exercising control over my life. I exercised my control over some of the UFOs in my life, exercised my ability to declutter my work area and mainly I am exercising my body. Started going to the Y three times a week and playing Wii Sports the other days. We now have Wii Fit so I'm doing that every day also. I went to see a nutritionalist, did my yearly physical exam with my dr, went to the dentist and this week I see the dr who treats my fibromyalgia. So I've been Exercising control over my Life instead of my Life Exercising control over me.

WTG Ahorsesoul sounds like your word is getting the " exercise" it needs.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Ok - I have had to refocus this week on my word -- Patience. My soon to be 3 year old has been - well - really trying it lately. Mostly because of her (typical- I know) intense desire to do everything herself. I have had a couple weeks here of being really short with her- so this afternoon I had a pow-wow with myself and let go some of the pent up snags. Tonight- she typed over a glass of juice that ran down into the silverware drawer and I took a breath- just got the dishtowel and calmly started to clean it up, kissed her and told her it was ok - we could clean it up. I felt calm and didn't loss my word-focus! Yeah. And... the plastic silverware holder thingy really needed to be put thru the dishwasher anyway.

Have you had to refocus on your word lately?

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I'm beginning to realize that living in the MOMENT is so much easier when you are organized! Once again I find myself in the house working while the boys are outside. I have to try 3 things:
1.put plans and lists to work
2.Enjoy the things that I have to do and get'er done
3. Let go a little bit

Thanks for making me re-evaluate! :flower:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Our minister once told us if we had a problem with being patience to think twice about praying for patience. If we did, we would be presented with many opportunities to strengthen our patience.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Ahorsesoul said:
Our minister once told us if we had a problem with being patience to think twice about praying for patience. If we did, we would be presented with many opportunities to strengthen our patience.

LOL I've heard all my life-NEVER pray for patience because you're patience would be tried many times

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I was forced to refocus on my word at the begining of this month. My word is positive, I will try to look at things with a positive attitude. I was laid off from work on May 29th and didn't feel very positive about anything for a couple of days. :oops: Being the only income in the house I was very scared and given the ecoononmy right now jobs are harder to come by in my area right now. I had to force myself to sit down and really look hard at the situation. I found that this is really a positive thing. With unemplyment and child support and the money I save not driving 60 miles a day to get to work the money situation is not as bad as I feared it would be. The best part is I get to do all the things I normally can't with DS this summer. I will pick up the job search this fall when the students leave more job openings to go back to school. For now I am greatly enjoying my summer off. :party: The best part though will be this fall when things pick up at the factory I used to work for and they can't get any of us that they let go back. They laid off 80 people and walked nearly 300 years of experience out the door. This is what I will look like if they try to call me back for "busy season" :rotflol: