July 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
For the month of July..... my project will be the "new filing system" and general paper declutter..... in the office/guest room.

Oh, I also need to organise my home filing system. July is the beginning of the new financial year here, so I want to use this time to sort my paperwork out.

I think I'll make a list of files, and sections within those files and post a googledocs link. I would love to get opinions from all of you on the best way to organise household papers.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Today I went through my pants & shorts - 5 pants out the door +2 pairs of shorts

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
July 3rd, Sunday.

Good job luludou.

Saquilla.... I am with you! I would love hints on a home filing system!

CraftyLady.... cleaning out the garage is a great goal!

christmasrocks.... welcome! This is a fabulous club!!!!!

KimD.... I love the things you are accomplishing! You, Go, Girlfriend!

Missjane.... wht a PERFECT opportunity! two weeks.... with dd out of the house!

Ahorsesoul.... I agree! AnnieClaus had a lovely idea for the table settings!

Happyalice.... we ENCOURAGE whining here! We KNOW how tough this stuff is!

Now...... me do paperwork!!!!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Got most of the papers in my bedroom filed! Just one more enveloppe to do :)
DH got rid of the old tv, an old children's seat and an old toilet reservoir from under the garage.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nice job ladies (and DHs).

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
Still cleaning out my closet. I too was caught up with papers! This time it wasn't difficult because the clutter was organized. I had to stop to help DH who decided to declutter the front planter and plant new landscaping!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Today's goal is getting as much stuff out of this house as possible. Today is going to be a big cleaning day since we have our 4th celebration on Sunday, because no one has to work on Monday, we did everything yesturday and had a great day at camp. I am getting ready to get these kids moving to help out today. I am hoping to have a great update later today.

I am going to start downstairs and work my way into the girls room for more clean out I really would like to get thier room ready to be painted this coming weekend

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Everyone is doing awesome...WOW!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
YES! Everyone IS doing awsome! And remember..... every little bit helps!

Today is another marathon (on the A & E Channel) on "Hoarders". This program always inspires me to declutter! EXCEPT.... there is a show on right now involving a little boy (about 4 or 5 years a;d) whose mother is a hoarder.... and he has become emotionally disturbed and is a hoarder too. THIS particular program is too upsetting for me to watch.... so I came to the computer to catch up with our MHH family. PS... I went back on: the people on the show had completely cleaned and organized his room and it looked WONDERFUL.... and the boy was HAPPY! He went out and hugged his mother and THANKED HER for cleaning! Hurray... a happy ending!

I posted on another thread.... that dh brought home one dish of Thai take out food (with rice) for our dinner. One dish was plenty for two people who like to eat A LOT! And it was only $8. Now THAT is a very good use of money.... I didn't have to stop & cook dinner! (Note: we do not have little kids who probably wouldn't like Thai food. There are crtainly LOTS of benefits of being in your SEVENTIES!!!! WOO HOO!!!!))

Last edited:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Sparkle Nana My 16 yr old loves Thia food and I don't understand how. No one in my family likes it at all. She gets it every once in awhile.

So far 3 garbage bags full of stuff gone and that was just from the stairs and hallway including where we keep our shoes which is going to change because I hate the clutter there.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
SparkleNana, I was finally able to watch and episode of Hoarders and now I understand what everyone was talking about!! I watched it with DH and we just couldn't finish the show. It was too upsetting...but I must admit it is a motivator!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Oh my goodness you guys, about an hour ago I went to look for this container of old letters from my college days. Just been in the mood to read through them, KWIM?

I know they are in my guest room closet. Lordy, lordy. My oh my. That closet! Stuff was falling everywhere! Old linens, table cloths. I thought, "I still have those?" Even a blow up mattress that I know has a hole in it and doesn't even work!!!!! AND- I didn't find my letters!

Agggghhhhhh!!!!

I see a decluttering project in my very near future!!!

Wish I could get working on it today but got invited to my brother's for 4th of July.

Annie

P.S. How do you schedule your decluttering?? With all our other obligations. Guess that's how things get like this in the 1st place.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Merry- That show is creepy, isn't it??!!

I still watch it, though.

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I found my box of letters- in the master bedroom closet. Not even where I thought they were!

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
So glad you found your letters. Happy reading and reminiscing

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks, Ahorsesoul! I did enjoy re-reading them.

I had this thought, "What will the youth of today have to read in their future?"

Letter writing is such a lost art.

What are we going to look back on- texts? Facebook posts??!!

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
July 5th.... Tuesday!!!!!

I did A LOT of work on papers yesterday. It is SLOW going. I will be happy...... when..... the new filing system is set up. That will NOT happen soon. It is a long journey. One baby step at a time!

And.... today will be the "Home Blessing Day".... since yesterday was a holiday. AND.... lots of watering the tomatoes and the annual plants. So... different periods of work.... in different areas.... 15 minutes at a time!

Dh is having trouble with E-Z Pass. It works.... when he goes through a toll. But then.... the state of Delaware keps sending him letters.... charging him $4 for the toll and a $50 late fee. He pays the bill.... and then another bill comes.... and they "have no record of him having paid". very frustrating modern life!!!!! The state of Delaware has no income tax.... I guess they get their expenses paid by motorists driving through. Sigh.

So..... slow and steady with the Decluttering! My incentive is the visit from ds#1, ddil#1 and dgd. I DO want things to be as decluttered as possible. So.... it is a WONDERFUL incentive. Incentives help us SO MUCH to keep our motivation up!!!!

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today is Wednesday, July 5th.

Last night, I began reading an interesting book called "The Emotional House". One section had thought-provoking questions for us: Which room is your favorite room? And why? How does it make you feel to be in that room?

Which room is your LEAST favorite room? Why? How does it make you feel to be in that room?

My favorite room(s) are decluttered and comfortable and serene. My least favorite room(s) are CLUTTERED and a bit dirty (blush).... and don't work very well.... for the things I want to do in those rooms.

Obviously.... this book wants to inspire us to begin to change the LEAST favorite rooms. By the way.... this book doesn't "PUSH".... it says that working on our homes is a lifetime journey.... because things continually change.... during our lifetime.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am the opposite. lol

My favorite room is the Scrap Studio. The most cluttered room of the house! I love it and am most comfortable. Least favorite room is the living room. Not cluttered. Maybe I need to do dome cluttering.

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Im soooo proud of myself. I managed to get rid of 6 trash bags of "clutter/junk" out of my basement yesterday! Im still not done going to try to work on it some more today!