July 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
Yesterday I started to go through my kitchen cabinets and reorganize them. I go through everything and check the freshness dates and organize them so that they are in front and used first. At this time, I also make a list of all my baking and holiday food supplies that I have so I don't over buy. I find it so tempting to buy something on sale but it's not a deal unless I need it. This time, I didn't have anything to toss so this system must be working for me!! MinnieCo, great job getting your laundry room done! Craftlady it's super hot here too which limits what I can do. Saquilla, I'm happy for you getting your living room decluttered! and SparkleNana I agree with you about there being a steady stream of "Incoming Stuff". It's a constant battle...

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Yes - I agree about the incoming clutter... it's amazing how much accumulates!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
July 29 - 2011. The USA is literally baking in a massive heat wave. So.... today will be some Baby Steps. Slowly, slowly..... the reorganization of the kitchen continues. Slowly, slowly....... the decluttering/recreation of the filing system continues.

This heat wave has been building.... through a VERY hot July. And.... there is no end in sight. So.... I am slowing the pace to a crawl.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You are right..I'm wondering now why I save painting for heat of summer?? STUPID!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Minnieco... if I had a dollar for every stupid thing that I have done..... I would probably be a billionaire!

OK.... our 2011 Decluttering Club. Today is July 21st.

Yesterday we had a long and expensive visit from a plumber!!!! NOT for redecorating or updating work!!! Just trying to recover basic, first-world plumbing service!!!!!

The bathroom/shower is accessed through a panel behind the dresser and desk in our bedroom. So.... everything was pulled out. I see how much room that furniture takes up.... now that it is away from the walls!!!!! Oh well.... back to organizing (with decluttering, if you please!).

I watered the garden and that was a miserable experience. So.. . am going to treat myself to some Christmas in July reading and dreaming!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Today we decluttered our 100 degree temp in the pool for the day tomorrow it isn't supposed to be that bad only around 90 so back to this house decluttering I go.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
It has been super hot here too. Had to take a break from some of my decluttering plans. The kitchen cabinets are organized. I couldn't polish the cabinets but I can do that next week. My master closet is organized but I still have too many clothes hanging up. Next week I'm really thinking of tackling the closet in the guess room. It still has my oldest DS's things that he can't fit in his apartment. I bought some tubs and plan to pack it up and then maybe squeeze it into the attic when it cools down. At least it will be packed and ready to go...

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I am enlisting the kids help today, except for the oldest she is going to the beach with friends today, I don't let her go to many places without me but everyone tells me to lighten up on my 16yr old so I gave in and said ok. The friends she is going with are ones that I like and trust.

First off is getting them all off the livingroom floor where they are sleeping and to get to work on this livingroom cleaning and finish decluttering

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
July 22nd.... Friday.

During this USA-HEAT WAVE.... it DOES give me comfort to have the house "less cluttered". It seems that there is more "air".... everything feels a bit "more free". THAT is an unexpected reward.... and I am very grateful!!!!

I am moving slowly today.... and that will continue until the heat wave is over. My expectations are HIGH for survival... and LOW for everything else. However.... Baby Steps do continue to happen.

It seems that my "eyes" are getting better at "identifying things as clutter"! And.... my hand knows to "reach out, grab them, and throw them into the trash. Or... into the donation bag". It doesn't seem to require as much though any more.

Slowly... the kitchen has become more streamlined. Final clean-up and polishing of the counters today. And... the next step will be organizing the dishes. Perhaps.... over the weekend... while watching Saturday and Sunday programs on QVC... "Christmas in July Programs" that is!!!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm going through my craft- gift closet. Baby steps. Got rid of tons of Sears catalogs that ended june 17th.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
July 24th --- Sunday. Another day in the July 2011 Heat Wave.

IF...... IF.... you have tried and tried and tried to do "routines".... that is paying off now!!!! Your "muscles" have memories.... of doing dishes, straightening up, making the bed, swishing and swiping..... and IF you have TRIED to do these things.... you will be rewarded by a certain "robot-like" doing of them during times of stress. (And this heat wave is certainly stress!)

They say it takes "three weeks" to establish a habit. Hhhhhmmmmmm. I would say... it takes more like "three years" to establish one of these "housekeeping" habits. But.... it is very nice IF it does happen!

So.... routines for me today. And.... a small bit of "paper decluttering".... if possible.

Just plain "survival" is my main goal.... at times like this!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
The more I accomplish the more gets undone!

Okay, I think I'm going backwards instead of forward. We cleaned and decluttered the garage............subsequent projects such as painting the shutters and moving stuff from other areas that belonged in here have it looking rough again. I cleaned, organized and decluttered the diningroom. I spent hours cleaning the furniture. It is covered in dust from a total floor re-tiling in the adjacent kitchen that required alot of sanding to replace the ceramic tile. I cleaned and scrubbed the front porch only to have it looking terrible with all of the in and out with dripping pails of grout water from the kitchen floor re-tiling. So far everything I worked so hard to accomplish has been undone.

To say this is a bit discouraging is an understatement. I think that for now I need to stop and clean up the messes before this goes any further. At that point I can once again move on to another project.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Ejagno.... oh yes! "Going backwards is definitely part of "going forwards"!!!!!

OFTEN... for things to get better.... the FIRST have to get worse!!!!!

You have NOT just been decluttering! You have been doing some BIG PROJECTS.... to make your home more wonderful! And..... sigh..... those big projects DO make things worse!

Time to emphasize straightening-up-after-the-projects.... is a good thing!

For me, today...., July 25th.... is cooler! "Survival mode" is put aside for today. I am going back to decluttering today..... AFTER I also do some straightening-up and some routines and some "home blessing". I also will give my garden some CPR!!!!!! (Water!)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I agree, it can be a bit discouraging, but ultimately the items need to go where they need to go. Keep Calm and Carry On! It will all fall into place.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
A friend sent me 4 boxes of clothes for us a few months ago!! They have sitting in my craft room for months, finally going through stuff to keep and get rid of. Having a party saturday and don't want the boxes hanging around.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Farmermomof4..... good for you for having a party on Saturday! That is onje of the BEST incentives to clean, organize and make things look nice!!!!!

It has been "a while" since I have made things look nice before a party. Sigh.

Today.... I am beginning a "One thousand item declutter challenge". I will count each piece of paper as an item. I want to achieve victory on this challenge quickly!!! (If I was doing a "7 items a day challenge".... that would NOT go quickly!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I bet the 1000 items go faster than you think.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
July 27th - Wednesday.

Yesterday..... I knocked out the first 100 items in my 1000 item decluttering challenge! Please remember that I am making this as easy as possible.... and I am counting EACH piece of paper as one item!!!!! (Also decluttering non-paper items too.)

The house feels "cooler" during the hot summer days..... as it becomes more decluttered. I wonder what it will feel like in winter? Well..... there will certainly be room for Christmas decorations this year!!!!!!! (As you know..... a pile of junk.... crowned with a nice holiday decoration..... is NOT very festive!!!!!)

OK.... off I go.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
THAT DOES COUNT, luludou! Decluttering the refrigerator is big --- gives a big payoff! In fact, I am going to declutter mine right now!!! You are a very good example!!!