Your Word for 2012

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I've really been considering some words this evening. I have a list now...but I don't think I'm any closer to selecting the right word. lol A couple that keep coming back to me are Focus and Simple Abundance.

Simple Abundance..as in the mindframe I got in after reading the book by the same name probably a decade ago. If you didn't read it...it was a book of daily readings to guide you on a path to where you want to be in life. To be content with the simple in life.

I really do like harmony and serenity, also. So, like I said I guess I'm still at the thinking stage. I did come across a site that discusses choosing three words or concepts. As in Live, Laugh, Love or Eat, Pray, Love. Maybe that is where I am this year. Maybe I have evolved and advanced to the 3 word level. ;)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Haven't found mine either but I love the 3-word concept CandySprinkles! that might be good for me... humm....

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Does picking "Magical" set me up for failure? Next Christmas will be my daughters last official Christmas at home before heading off to college. I know she'll be back, it's not like she'll move away forever and never come home. But I really want to focus on having those cherished moments with her and even others around me. I just don't want to expect "magical" and then have another life moment pop up, that keeps that from happening. I'm in a weird mood today, so it might not be the best day to answer all these questions on this board.... BIG SIGH!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I really do like harmony and serenity, also. So, like I said I guess I'm still at the thinking stage. I did come across a site that discusses choosing three words or concepts. As in Live, Laugh, Love or Eat, Pray, Love. Maybe that is where I am this year. Maybe I have evolved and advanced to the 3 word level. ;)

Could you share the link to the site? Thanks

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I'm on my iPod right now. But, I'll try to retrace my steps later tonight from my netbook. I was googling one little word, my word 2012 and/or my word 2011 when I found it.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I came up with a few more lately, here are some i'm pondering:

Acceptance
Family
Slow down
Conscious

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Does picking "Magical" set me up for failure? Next Christmas will be my daughters last official Christmas at home before heading off to college. I know she'll be back, it's not like she'll move away forever and never come home. But I really want to focus on having those cherished moments with her and even others around me.

You could write down all your 'recipes' for making the Holidays and Birthdays magical. Include your families favorite recipes, quotes she made as a kid and ideas on how you picked gifts and your family traditions (including those you remember as a child). This could be one of your gifts to DD next year. That way she will always have the Magical Mom's Manual right beside her even while away from home.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
MinnieCo- I LOVE your idea of Magical. Like you said, real life has a tendency to mess up our best laid plans but if your word is "Magical" it will prompt you to look for the magic in every day life, in those times that aren't so planned out.

I love a Ahorsesoul's idea too!

I know it will be a bittersweet year for you this year.

MrsSoup- Love the word Conscious!!!! To be conscious of what we are doing, feeling so those magic moments don't pass us by!

Annie

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
I've never done this kind of thing before, but I want to pick a word to reflect reaching for something. I've decided to actually work towards leaving a very stressful job to work on my own this year. To do something a bit different, something more creative. I've been doing accounting for 20 years now, and I want to branch into working on the web, designing simple sites or blogs for teams, clubs, that sort of thing. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Oh, I've talked about it for years, but I'm going to give it everything I've got this year. I'm not as calm and peaceful as I once was, I'm cynical, cranky, not engaged in my everyday life, my house, my horse, everything. Maybe that's my word. Engage. I'm still thinking...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Horsemama,
You use the word collected. It can mean engaged and it ties in the horse world.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I finally found my word for 2012. It is RAINBOWS. I know that might seem like a weird choice at first glance; but it has lots of levels of symbolic meaning for me. (And, NO, I am NOT coming out of the closet, LOL) My word last year was celebrate...but I also had a phrase. It was Taste the Rainbow which was mostly about eating healthy, colorful foods. Taking that phrase and going in a slightly different direction...I want to live out loud, in color, a vibrant, happy life. Rainbows to me are about nature, beauty, peace, variety, love and dreams. My phrase this year is Chasing Rainbows and I even have a theme song. The combination of Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World...this Hawaiian version by Iz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sj2gQJIKI I want to wake up to this each morning, with my own slideshow of pictures, quotations and goals added in there.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Candysprinkles, I like the way you are thinking about your word. I hope you can get your media display set up to wake up to every morning.

One more day, everyone, to think of a word or phrase. Tomorrow's the day to start putting it into action. I plan to make some notes and think about my word, "rediscover" some today. Just where do I want it to take me? What do I want it to create in my life? What am I expecting from myself because of it?

Mary, thanks for the journaling idea. For about a month, I wrote down what I did everyday because we get so discouraged about how little we accomplish when we don't complete our entire "to-do" list, but when we look at what all we did...things that were important for that one particular day....we see we are accomplishing things. I may do that again this year. It may help me rediscover some things I need to.

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I have been giving this a lot of thought. I think my word for 2012 is going to be Acceptance. I have a very short fuse and have never been known to " suffer fools gladly" (my grandmother's saying!) Lately, I find myself losing my temper over the silliest things - even with my boys. Afterwards I always feel awful. Ironically, I've been much calmer and accepting when BIG things crop up. I need to be more mindful of this. I can be a bit of a control freak - DH says I'm not Type A, I'm Triple A! LOL! I need to give others a chance to "work it out" before I jump in - I think that's why I lose my cool, I see every mistake as causing more work for me in the long run. It isn't good for my blood pressure either.

OK! That's my word: ACCEPTANCE

Please hold me to it!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Everyone has such great words...I wanted to share with you an online class that is offered that helps you focus on and work with your word throughout the year. I wrote about it in The Creative Spirit forum..

http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27225

It's a little costly. They offered it last year but this is my first year so I really don't know all the ins and outs.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
These words are great...I've finally decided that Grace is going to be my word...the definition of grace is:

elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action: We watched her skate with effortless grace across the ice. Synonyms: attractiveness, charm, gracefulness, comeliness, ease, lissomeness, fluidity. Antonyms: stiffness, ugliness, awkwardness, clumsiness; klutziness.
2. a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment: He lacked the manly graces.
3. favor or goodwill. Synonyms: kindness, kindliness, love, benignity; condescension.
4. a manifestation of favor, especially by a superior: It was only through the dean's grace that I wasn't expelled from school. Synonyms: forgiveness, charity, mercifulness. Antonyms: animosity, enmity, disfavor.
5. mercy; clemency; pardon: He was saved by an act of grace from the governor. Synonyms: lenity, leniency, reprieve. Antonyms: harshness.

I'm really going to focus on having God's grace, as well as being graceful to others.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I just love this thread and the way everyone is thinking about new ways to focus their lives in the New Year. I've decided that Change is deinitely going to be my word this year.

Change is hard but often good for us!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I've decided that my word for 2012 is going to be CHANGE. I've been struggling this past year with the direction my life is going in....I'm so far from where I should be....so far from being ME. So....I have to CHANGE things!

For some reason I have not looked for employment, even though we are struggling financially, I have not done any of the things I use to do before I moved to CA...things that were really me, things I loved doing. I've become a slug and have let so much time pass me by.

After the New Year we will start seriously talking again about moving back East, I will be more organized, I will procrastinate less and I WILL get back to ME!!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I finally found my word for 2012. It is RAINBOWS. I know that might seem like a weird choice at first glance; but it has lots of levels of symbolic meaning for me. (And, NO, I am NOT coming out of the closet, LOL) My word last year was celebrate...but I also had a phrase. It was Taste the Rainbow which was mostly about eating healthy, colorful foods. Taking that phrase and going in a slightly different direction...I want to live out loud, in color, a vibrant, happy life. Rainbows to me are about nature, beauty, peace, variety, love and dreams. My phrase this year is Chasing Rainbows and I even have a theme song. The combination of Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World...this Hawaiian version by Iz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sj2gQJIKI I want to wake up to this each morning, with my own slideshow of pictures, quotations and goals added in there.

Thank you! You described what I want to do each month with a word & phrase/quote so much better than I can..Love it...

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
I'd almost decided that my word would be "Today".... because I'm a dreadful procrastinator!
After the last few days I was thinking of changing it to "Mug"...because that's how everyone seems to see me - or at least, that's how it feels!

But then, this evening, after a couple of stressful phonecalls with my Mother, and a slanging match with DD1 (the teenager) who really didn't deserve my wrath, I'm thinking of changing it to "ME"

Would that be terribly selfish?

I want to get "Me" back again, not "Mum" or "daughter" or "Wife"......and I need to make time for me, to get my hair cut once in a while, to buy ME some new clothes, not spend my "pocket money" on the kids clothes, to actually use my (very scarce these days) pocket money on a magazine or something. For ME to have some R&R time (maybe then I wouldn't snap so much - or so quickly??)

I don't know, part of me is already trying to talk myself out of it......maybe it's time I put my foot down and put MYSELF first for once?! Lol!
AM

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have honestly been thinking about this since July! Last year, I knew almost immediately what I wanted. This year, I jotted down several words. I think I have it, now. I choose the word "Content". To be content with what I have. I don't care if it is a thing, an emotion, whatever. Be content with what God has given me. I think that will help me become more positive about life, to be able to trust people again (I do have trust issues), to hope and grow in my life. Yep, to be content is what I aspire to. I will be happy for others when they get things I would like to have. But I have so much already, and I need to be content with that. Content.....yes, content will be my word for 2012.