March 2012 - Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
That is rotten Aggy! at least they could say they are responsible! My friend at the office got her mailbox & house scratched by the men who clear the snow this wintr... she had to call & show picks before they owned up to it.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Doing some decluttering here and there. The other day I went through 2 underbed storage bags and reorganized some clothes...managed to pull out 4 things to donate. Today I am going to empty 1 or 2 big built-in drawers we have in the living room and we are going to go through what's in there together.

I've been doing some packing each day and now these drawers are going to be challenging in the fact that there is just a lot of misc stuff in them....one thing I don't want when we move is to have 5 or 6 "Misc" boxes marked! I'm hoping some of the stuff can be put with other stuff, but I'm afraid it's going to be just a mish-mash of...ugh...stuff!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday, March 9th.

Christmaslvr.... you are making very good progress!!!!! Good work!

Yesterday, dh dropped off the big bag of maternity clothes... which I had gathered for a young friend. There is one bag in the trunk of the car.... ready to go to the Thrift Shop.

Yesterday... even though I wasn't feeling well... I made a lot of progress in clearing off the back deck! It is welcoming now!

the trash and recycling people have come and gone. Now... I can bring the bins back from the curb.... and start filling them up again!

How are YOU feeling about your decluttering? We're all in this together!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
SN I hope you're feeling better today. I am slowly getting things back in order. Yesterday while organizing my coat closet I found more coats to donate and throw out.

Today I am going through the drawers on my armoire. I think I am going to get rid of those vhs tapes. I copied some to dvd so I really don't need to keep them anymore.

I also had an idea of what to do with those manuals I kept for various appliances/equipment. I had mistakenly thrown out one that I needed today to reconnect my tv and dvd in the livingroom. Anyway I looked it up on the internet and found the manual and saved it in PDF on my laptop. I think I will do that with all of my manuals (If I can find them online) and burn them all onto a cd. That will clear up more space in my office/guest bedroom.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
Y'all are entirely tooo industrious :) Here it is 3-10-12 already!

SN, I like the Progress not Perfection line of thinking. Some chores (like cabinets) are done & only we can "see" the improvement.

Lana, I have an empty house & still plenty of clutter. Can't even blame it on pets anymore :-0 If I stayed home, would it help? Nah, doubtful.

aggy, I hope the moving people repaired your items. So very un-professional to not own up to their mistakes.

Have you noticed how many de-clutter, get organized articles are in magazines? Geessshh. Ya'd think we could wave a magic wand & not have to think about what to keep, what to toss. Some (most) of the "tips" don't apply to me, but once in awhile I see a good idea.

De-cluttering the top of the dining room table is on mental list of "to-do" projects. Hasn't happened yet, in depth, so still on the list.

Good luck to all with your projects.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Saturday, March 10th.

JayOakie... YES! The magazines are FILLED with decluttering and organizing articles! I know that they do help sell magazines.... but the whole matter .... really is too complicated to be dealt with... by a magazine article! To be realistic.... people need something like this.... Our 2012 Declutter Club!!

Aggy... excellent idea you had.... about keeping the product manuals on the computer! By the way.... is your brand new kitchen.... helping inspire you to work in other areas of your home?

I have gone through a big bag of paperwork.... while watching TV. Very little of the paper needs to be kept. Stuff is shredded and already out in recycling. Now a break... before I go back to work.

I have done some decluttering in the kitchen today. I will be cooking from the freezer, refrigerator and cupboards... for the next week. So.... as I use things up.... I'll get things better organized (And throw out stuff that just won't work!)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Sunday, March 11th!

Yesterday... I continued to work on getting rid of paperwork... throughout the afternoon. (With breaks!) It was peaceful work... while I watched TV.

This morning... there was quite a bit of straightening up to do.... in various rooms. There is enough of a wind... to make it sort of unpleasant outside.... this afternoon. HOPEFULLY... THAT MEANS MORE PAPERWORK AND MORE DECLUTTERING... TODAY!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Well.... a small amount of paperwork. AND.... the wind stopped.... so it is nice to be outside. AnnieClaus.... today, I am going to plant the final two roses. It is a quiet, lazy, warm, sunny day, A perfect day.... for getting into a hammock... to read.... and then... falling asleep!!!

Where are those hammocks when you need them??????

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I thought it was warm out as I saw my neighbor outside without a jacket on but when I opened my windows, all I felt was a cool breeze so I closed them.

JayOkie maintenance came and fixed my armoire Friday. I was glad of that. Now it's off the floor and standing in its new spot.

As for my dresser, hopefully it will be fixed Monday or Tuesday. I had a shelf that matched my dressers that I was about to toss out when I had a thought. I suggested to the maintenance guy if he could cut the strips from the shelf to repair my dresser. So that's what he is going to do.

I got the idea thinking about Gingerbug's post on repurposing. Thanks GB! :)

SN having my kitchen redone has definitely inspired me. Today I grabbed my spiral notebook and made notes of everything I want to do (From Kitchen to Bathroom)

The carpenters have to come back and replace the carpet in all the closets. That is my fault I'm afraid because I thought I was going to get the same color carpet so I didn't clean them out. I have a different (a little darker, sort of a taupe) color carpet which I actually like better.

I am working in the livingroom right now. I have been wanting new livingroom furniture for a while now and I have finally made the decision to get it this year. As a matter of fact I am going to Ikea Wednesday to pick up a tv stand and a shelf which will go above it. I have an idea I saw on the Steven and Chris show I want to do. I will get a piece or two every month. My goal is to have the room done by the end of September, in time for the cool autumn months and the holidays.

As for the old living room furniture, I will be donating it to the Salvation Army.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Aggy I'm glad they repaired your armoire. Good thinking about using the shelf. wow you are really making alot of changes this year.

It'll be so beautiful come Christmas with all the new decor!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Just getting caught up on this thread. So many of you are really going GOOD!!! I am still slowly plugging away at it.

Aggy, you are really making chances. Like Lucie said by year end it is totally all going to be redone. I am so glad that they are fixing stuff. Great ideal with the shelf.

I still have all the kids VHS tapes. We still have a player too. Have no ideal when it was used last. Would of been for my 2 nieces and nephew when they would of stayed.

Hoping to finish a couple of things by end of March. Will see.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Morning girls, Monday is upon us...again!

Well those drawers I wrote about last week were tackled and honestly were less of a headache than anticipated. 2 long drawers (probably 4ft wide) and one small one condensed to one plastic storage bin. The 4th drawer contains stationery stuff, and I already had a box marked stationery from when I moved here, out in the garage. I tossed 98% of what was in that box (been in storage for 3 years!) and can probably put what is in our current drawer in a much smaller box or even a plastic shoe box size bin! Woohoo!

This week I am dropping some things off at Good Will too.

We are putting our packing on hold, as we really don't have the room for boxes and don't want to be falling over them for the next 6 weeks or so! I will continue to clean and declutter so when we start up again hopefully there will be less stuff around.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday, March 16th!!!! WHAT!!!!?!!!

How did it get to be so long.... since I last even thought about... decluttering? Real life: sickness..... spring weather (GARDENING).... FOLLOWED ALMOST IMMEDIATELY BY.... SUMMER WEATHER (82 degrees yesterday.... breaking hundreds of records across the USA!)

To be realistic: during incredibly hot/humid summer weather.... little to nothing.... will be accomplished!

HOWEVER.... today is a more "normal.. spring day. So... some decluttering.... WILL be accomplished today!

Further information to follow!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Rolling, rolling, rolling. Go ladies!!!

SN I'm trying to get as much done as possible also before the heat comes. We've experienced very warm temps all week but have not reached record numbers.

The painters should have painted my little palace by the time I arrive home today. I have to go back to Ikea to get my coffee table and tv stand. I couldn't get them in the car so I'm using my moms truck today.

This weekend I will continue putting things back together as well as assemble my new furniture. Tonight I will start with decluttering books I have stored in a pair of storage cubes I was using as coffee tables. I am going to move the ones I keep into the guest bedroom/office and donate the others. I have a lot of decorating books and haven't looked at them in years.

I don't know if it will be this weekend but I think I need to go through my Christmas bins again and downsize a bit more. I told my cousin I would call her to come go through them with me when I start.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Aggy you are doing GREAT!!! Good work. Can't wait to see pics of your new interior

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is so nice.... reading about the transformation of Aggy's home.... into a brand new place.... WITHOUT having to move! Very cool!

Something.... "helpful".... seems to have stuck in my head. While watching one of the not-disgusting episodes of "Hoarders" on TV..... one of the relatives.... kept repeating.... in a pleasant, encouraging but no-nonsense voice.... "Just throw it all out!" Stuff that.... for one reason or another isn't right for donating.... but is still in "good condition".... and might, possibly, be useful at SOME future time..... "Just throw it all out".

I've been hearing that voice.... when I approach "clutter".... with a trash bag in my hand. It helps.... to just stuff things into the bag and take them Out The Door!

It ALSO helps...... A LOT.... to NOT bring things into the home.... in the first place!

It ALSO helps..... to think about..... and talk, calmly, with dh about..... future expense and "ongoing expenses". Having.... firmly in mind..... where money NEEDS to go..... keeps that money from being available..... for "recreational shopping".

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Aggy, you are doing so well.

And I get inspiration from coming here. DH and I talked this morning about our dining table being the "dumping ground." It's the first thing we pass when we come through the front door.

I bought book shelves at a second hand shop, so I have weeded through the DVDs and VHS tapes because I had to take them all out of the old entertainment center, which is being re-purposed in DD19's room. I have an entire tote full of old VHS tapes to take to GW.

Onward and upward, ladies!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Something.... "helpful".... seems to have stuck in my head. While watching one of the not-disgusting episodes of "Hoarders" on TV..... one of the relatives.... kept repeating.... in a pleasant, encouraging but no-nonsense voice.... "Just throw it all out!" Stuff that.... for one reason or another isn't right for donating.... but is still in "good condition".... and might, possibly, be useful at SOME future time..... "Just throw it all out".

That is how I have been approaching this whole decluttering business. For instance, those decorating books I had were all in "new" like condition but I don't read them so out they are going. I kept all but 9.

Saturday I cleared out my kitchen of items I had temporarily stored out of the way of the painters. I also had to organize the guest bedroom as it too is temporarily packed with totes, boxes, shoes and coats. Things were everywhere. I could barely walk around which was driving me crazy. I'm still waiting for them to replace the carpet in all the closets and put the shelves in, in both the coat closet and guest room closet. They are putting in those wire shelves. I like those a lot (Hopefully I can get all of my closets done this way). Maintenance couldn't put the shelves in until the painters painted them. Hopefully when I get home tomorrow afternoon the shelves will be in and I can at least hang my coats and summer clothes.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Tuesday, March 20th!
Wow, Aggy! You are putting up with a lot of turmoil! But it will be SO WORTH IT! You are creating a "like new" home!!!! Fabulous!

I, too, am listening to missjane! "Upwards and onwards"!!!! When I read that.... I got a vision of "climbing a mountain". You have to CONCENTRATE on each little step. You have to hold on securely... and concentrate on.... where you are! Baby step by baby step.... you go.... upwards and onwards!

Today... my goal is to get one bag of trash-an-clutter.... Out The Door! AND... take care of all the routine things that we do.... to keep our homes.... nice.... for us!!!!!